Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a demo ride and have to admit that the Scout Bobber is my favorite of the Scouts. It has a decent riding position, is physically pretty tight and compact (small, not a bad thing) and the motor is pretty responsive when you want it to be (down-shift to get it in it's powerband and it takes off). We were limited to 60mph on the highway portion of the ride but the motor was revving at only ~3200 rpm and the power seems to really come on above 5000 and goes above 8000. It almost reminds me of the XVS1100 but in a bike that felt physically smaller than my 650. The pegs/foot-controls are slightly forward as expected with this type of bike but they're also located higher and cornering clearance seems better than with most 'cruisers'. Thankfully the Scout does not feel like yet another bike trying to copy HD.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I liked the Scout a lot when demoed it last year. It is very agile and fun bike to ride on curvy roads (test rides were on Blue Ridge Parkway). I really want second "around-the-town" bike and it is a hard choice between Scout, Bolt R-Spec and Iron 1200...

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why replicate? Why not take idea and make it yours? (Yours ... Generally speaking.)
Seriously, I don't know what the deal is when manufacturers make a bike with water-cooling and add faux fins to make it look air cooled or design a perfectly usable v-twin bike with character and throw on a gas tank that holds fewer than 4 gallons in order to look like a particular sporty 'lightweight'of a particular heritage.

I liked the Scout a lot when demoed it last year. It is very agile and fun bike to ride on curvy roads (test rides were on Blue Ridge Parkway). I really want second "around-the-town" bike and it is a hard choice between Scout, Bolt R-Spec and Iron 1200...
IMO the choice would then be a matter of either low revving utilitarian tractor simplicity (Sportster) or a more modern sporty, quick shifting and light handling bike (either the Scout or Bolt). Although I have limited saddle time on both the Scout and Bolt and love the Art Deco design of the Scout motor that doesn't hide the fact that it's not air cooled or has TOC, it isn't worth paying the extra $3000 for aesthetics. I'd have to choose the Bolt between those two.

Personally I would go with the Sportster despite it's many quirks because I like old vintage/classic bikes of the 1930s-1960s and the Sportster is still essentially of that era in a mechanical sense. Too bad it has the HD emblazoned all over the damned thing. ;)

·
Registered
959 Posts
IMO the choice would then be a matter of either low revving utilitarian tractor simplicity (Sportster) or a more modern sporty, quick shifting and light handling bike (either the Scout or Bolt). Although I have limited saddle time on both the Scout and Bolt and love the Art Deco design of the Scout motor that doesn't hide the fact that it's not air cooled or has TOC, it isn't worth paying the extra $3000 for aesthetics. I'd have to choose the Bolt between those two.

Personally I would go with the Sportster despite it's many quirks because I like old vintage/classic bikes of the 1930s-1960s and the Sportster is still essentially of that era in a mechanical sense. Too bad it has the HD emblazoned all over the damned thing. ;)
Personally I choose the bike based on feelings. Numbers on papers are secondary. At the end of the day if you don't like what you see and feel it does not matter how good it is on paper or in a booklet. Aesthetics plays a role too, that's why I would never buy a Chieftain or Roadmaster with their huge front fenders because it is not my style even though they are awesome bikes performance and comfort wise. I really like all 3 bikes I mentioned in my previous post appearance, it is just a matter of which one will put bigger smile on my face. I wouldn't call Sportster a tractor, they are fun bikes as well and I have no problem with HD emblems nor with Yamaha/Honda/BMW, you name it. At this moment of time I like my HD, but who knows what tomorrow will bring :)

·
Registered
959 Posts
Thanks for posting this, I’m planning to do a demo ride on a Scout soon. I love the looks and I’ve sat on one at a local showroom. Felt agile and I cannot wait to take one out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had a blast on Scout Keith. Despite of small size it fit me pretty good with its forward controls. And its weight to power ratio is just great (1 hp per 5.5 lbs). It feels like you riding a fly with jet engine lol. A lot of fun!

·
Super Moderator
6,015 Posts
Awesome! I was hoping that would be the jest of it after I sat on one. Just sitting there on the showroom felt like it could sprout wings and fly away. The local Indian dealership was very willing to allow us to take a test ride, however it started raining. While we were there, even in the rain, a guy came riding in on a Honda Rebel 250 that was being traded in on a new Scout. The guys wife wanted to upgrade to the Scout and she rode off in the rain grinning from ear to ear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Can you get one with all the name badges and logos left off?

Within a year after Columbus bungled his way to the islands in the Caribbean, they knew he was not in India, but had stumbled across an unknown continent inhabited for over 10,000 years by several million natives.

The fact that 525 years later we are STILL referring to those people as "Indians" rubs me the wrong way. It is the epitome of arrogance for that name to continue.

Looks like a great bike - terrible name for the company.

I would be very impressed if they changed the name of the company to tribute one of the native inhabitant nations - one of the names that they called themselves.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I would be very impressed if they changed the name of the company to tribute one of the native inhabitant nations - one of the names that they called themselves.
Wouldn't that be a mockery since natives pretty much got wiped out?

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
As I understand it, the company has zero heritage or ties to the original Indian Motorcycle company. They have none of the original employees or engineers, none of the original designs - nothing - zero.

The only thing they bought was the rights to the name of the company, from whoever still owned it when it all went bankrupt and closed.

Anyone can design and sell retro motorcycles that look like Harleys, Indians, Curtis... and call them any name they want, as long as they are not using a trademarked name.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Wouldn't that be a mockery since natives pretty much got wiped out?
The fact that a person or a civilization was killed or wiped out, does not take away the merits of the qualities those people possessed.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
I heard that Gandhi liked spinning wheels.....

·
Registered
932 Posts
As I understand it, the company has zero heritage or ties to the original Indian Motorcycle company. They have none of the original employees or engineers, none of the original designs - nothing - zero.

The only thing they bought was the rights to the name of the company, from whoever still owned it when it all went bankrupt and closed.
I understand that. However, then general public does not. If you change the name to FLAGSHIP, for discussion's sake, you would not get the sales to sustain the company. People would not buy them because there is not heritage to the name.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have to say that I'm not particularly fond of the name 'Indian' on these bikes because there is no lineage or connection whatsoever with the original company. It's purely a marketing ploy like if someone bought the 'Crocker' name and started producing motorcycles and attempted to associate themselves with the original Crocker company that went bust in the early 40s.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts