Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a long trip and was wondering about carrying a can of Inflate and Seal with with for the "Just in case" flat tire. Nothing on the can says anything about using it for motorbike tires. Has anyone used it? Does any one recommend it or should I try something else?

Thanks

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have used "green slime" in the past without any issues, that way it just wont go flat. The one drawback of green slime is it makes for a messy tire change, but for the purpose of not getting a flat it works great. I never had any negative issues with vibration or handling.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I'm planning a long trip and was wondering about carrying a can of Inflate and Seal with with for the "Just in case" flat tire. Nothing on the can says anything about using it for motorbike tires. Has anyone used it? Does any one recommend it or should I try something else?

Thanks
I always carry a plug kit for tubeless, Have used like"Fix a Flat" on other stuff, but on a bike I would consider all the quick fixes very temperary,worked for me, till the next shop. Just me. Ride Safe.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't really understand this stuff, have never seen it used. Is slime and the like for tubeless tyres or are their variants you can use for a tube tyre just to be able to get you back to town where you can make a tyre change?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Tire guy

You can buy a tire plug kit and a C O 2 inflater. If you use the Fix a flat stuff your tire guy will hate you. They don't take up much room.

Dave

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't really understand this stuff, have never seen it used. Is slime and the like for tubeless tyres or are their variants you can use for a tube tyre just to be able to get you back to town where you can make a tyre change?
If you've got tubed you're just out of luck if you get a flat. Fix-a-flat or slime won't do anything for that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you've got tubed you're just out of luck if you get a flat. Fix-a-flat or slime won't do anything for that.
Okay, thanks for that. Might have to look at sealing the rims then so I can run tubeless, ah yes yet another mod for the growing list. :eek:

·
Registered
31 Posts
About 25 years ago, my grandfather used one of the products in his Kawasaki. The bike has been sitting in his garage for about 20 years, but the tube still holds air. In fact, even when we REMOVED THE VALVE STEM a couple years ago we couldn't get the air out of the tire.

I might use it if I was desperate, but it would have to be pretty close to life and death and/or with the assumption that I would throw away the tube/tire as part of the permanant repair.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've used it in my car before when I really needed to. Nothing wrong with keeping a can in a saddlebag for an emergency. It's better than being stranded.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks all

Lots of great help. Thanks. I looked into the green slime and I've read that there have been problems with the wheel balance after the stuff hardens in the tire. Also, others have said that it's such a pain to get it off the rim, that shops charge extra to change the tire.

Inflate and seal is used after the tire has been punctured, but others use green slime as preventative maintenance. I'll carry a can of inflate and seal for the "just in case" event.

Thanks for all your help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts