Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy members, Been busy over the last 2 days getting my oil filter relocation kit installed, And a set of Barnett clutch springs.

The OFRK has billet aluminum adapters to replace the crazy removal and possible stripping of stuff during oil changes.
This setup makes oil changes a 5 minute job. Oil filter is now located
under the rectifier. Unscrew it under a pan to drain and screw in the new one, fill crankcase with about 1/3 quart extra oil than the normal change. Which would make the total about 3.7 quarts.

I took the extra time to polish all the chrome parts that were hidden by exhaust and such that make them hard to get to.

The clutch springs are much stiffer than the stockers. Still clutch pull at the lever is nearly the same. Just a little stronger.

If anybody needs help finding these kits or needs advise on installing
let me know, Glad to help.

jake :) RestoRides MotorSports

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here are some small pics of the bike with the kit installed.
This kit was unfinished billet aluminum but looks pretty good.
I don't have to worry about paint peeling.

It was less than $90 not including the K&N 303C filter.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Would be interested in a oil filter kit at those prices, can I get some info on it?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks man. I bought one (ORK) from a member on this forum. Havent bothered installing it yet since I changed the oil about a day or two before buying it. Appreciate your pics and info and yes, if I get hung up I'll look you up. Thanks again. The one I bought is used and I may need a new O-ring for it but its so cold out right now I'll select a different time to worry about it !!

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No problem. I will look and see who I got this from. It was ebay.
All the kit components are CNC billet aluminum. Stainless braided lines
w/ an6 style fittings.

I just rode mine for the first time tonight and all is working great no leaks. :) Adds about 1/3 quart more capacity.

I do know they come in black or polished chrome for more money.
Like $125 or so.

The only thing you will need to purchase will be the filter. All the orings are used from the stock covers or they are supplied in the kit. This is for the vstar 650 however the same vendor my have this for the 1100.

Very nice.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright true to my word here are the details :

Ebay vendor : the_extension_depot

Blk kit Ebay # 131211491653 $104.99 shipped

Raw aluminum kit Ebay # 131207176410 $94.99 shipped.

When I purchased mine it was a clearance item.

I do not see one for the vstar 1100 from this vendor.

jake : RestoRides MotorSports :rolleyes:

·
Registered
179 Posts

Thats OK. I got mine for 125 bucks shipped. Really not a bad deal for the 1100 kit. Its in perfect shape. The seller said he'd recommend using the OEM O-ring with it even though the one included is "probably" OK. , which for all I know I will stumble upon the OEM ring when I install the kit. If not, I'll find an O-ring around here. I've not done anything to this recently acquired motorcycle so I'm still the dark.

ps...that configuration should add some cooling functionality as well. Always a good thing.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes it does, In fact I was looking for a finned oil cooler when I found this on Ebay. Being the oil filter is trapping wind at speed it does offer
oil cooling effects. I am looking for a radial finned heat sink to attach to the oil filter itself. I may have to chop some of the fins where it gets close to the rectifier for clearance.

Oil cooling, Extra capacity, Easier oil changes, all add up to a great bang for the buck item to install.

jake

·
Registered
176 Posts
Jake, Thanks for the info. I too bought an Extension Depot ORK for my 1100. Though it is raw aluminum, it looks well built. I have not installed it yet, waiting on next oil change/spring. My only question/concern is the small inside diameter of the hoses. When I think about an oil filter, I think high flow thru the filter. This arrears to be low flow or high pressure. Looking at your pics, it appears you have the same hoses. Any issues or problems? Thanks.
Eric

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The lines appear small , but the system I have works great so far.
No leaks and the bike seems to run better. I think this is a win win.
The extra oil capacity (0.3 quarts) So about 10 ozs. And the fact the
oil filter location is now behind the front wheel, it gets lots of cool air.
So it acts like a oil cooler too.

The real big winner in all of this is the easy to do oil change.
Less mess and zero hassles.
Well worth the price of admission.
Fiddling with the exhaust pipe is not required. You can replace the
old oil filter cover assembly with the new billet one easily.
You just need to reuse the cover o ring gasket from the oem.
The rest comes in the kit.

I think you will like it.

jake :rolleyes:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks Jake. I will be installing this ORK with my next oil change. I look forward to an easier oil change in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Super, If you need help or have questions let me know I may be able to offer assistance from a distance. ;)

jake

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've been thinking of adding one of these to my bike as well, but I've seen a few people recommend staying away because if either of the two lines develop a blockage, you have no way to know and your oil system is no longer filtering. So now that spooked me and I'm kind of on the fence.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DanR I get the fact your concerned about this. However, look at it this way.

You can take the lines off anytime in about 10 minutes to clean them out.

Also when the engine is running you can check for proper oil flow by feeling the oil filter, if it's getting warm oil is in fact flowing.

If you start with a clean engine you should have no problems.

The lines look small but for this size of engine flow plenty of oil through
the filtration system. My 650 holds now about 3.7 quarts total.
More than my Nissan Frontier 3.3 liter v6 does.

Easy to take apart and inspect for dirt, clogs, cleaning, etc.

I have no issues with mine at all.

jake :) ;)

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DanR, I do know that when I removed the clutch case cover to put
my new clutch springs in that everything inside the case was very clean. I chalk that up to using good oil and changing it regularly.

Now, My bike only has 9400 miles on it and is 15 years old. When I first
got it, it was not the poster child for a clean well taken care of bike.
In fact it was only ridden a little over 500 miles from 2004 to 2012.
I have no way of knowing what the original owner did or how often they changed the oil. Now that it has been cleaned up outside and looking at the condition inside, everything is good.

The oil I put in the bike on my first oil change was drained out after less than 500 miles to install this kit. It was hardly even dark.

I went this time with the Rotella T6 5w 40 (walmart)
Works great. Full synthetic . Do not use regular car motor oil.
The oil in your bike must not contain friction modifier

jake

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've been thinking of adding one of these to my bike as well, but I've seen a few people recommend staying away because if either of the two lines develop a blockage, you have no way to know and your oil system is no longer filtering. So now that spooked me and I'm kind of on the fence.
This is the first time, I've heard anyone mention the lines becoming blocked. Hadn't really thought about it but if you change your oil regularly I don't see it as a problem. If you think about it, anything floating around in your oil system that's big enough to block a 1/4" line is a whole other problem and not just a oil filter issue.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I second what he just said . A big ole bogger of oil stuck in a 1/4" line
means issues down stream are very serious.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you think about it, anything floating around in your oil system that's big enough to block a 1/4" line is a whole other problem and not just a oil filter issue.
Skyking, my research has found that a 1/4" OD line has a 1/8" ID. "Because of the fact that the fitting holes have been placed so closely together on all of the available Oil Relocation kits, the largest available NPT fittings are of the 1/8" NPT variety." ORK seems to be a very conversational topic across the net. I found several high mileage (70K+) folks that swear by them so I'm going to install mine next oil change. I will probably use 5W40 synthetic going forward.
Ride on

·
Registered
207 Posts
I found several high mileage (70K+) folks that swear by them so I'm going to install mine next oil change. I will probably use 5W40 synthetic going forward. Ride on[/QUOTE said:
An ORK is on my list of winter modifications. Currently looking for a deal on one.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
eruby, Thats how I found out about these. I was looking for an oil cooler and ran into several people that had these on their bikes.
No need for a cooler when you get both in one package.

Just install, sit back and enjoy the ride. You will be glad you did.

On the 5w40. I had Pennzoil 10w30 before and my clutch slipped just a bit with roll on in high gear. I found out it was the wrong oil.
I pulled my case cover and installed Barnett clutch springs the same time I installed the OFRK and changed to the Rotella T6 5w40 .

A gallon jug at walmart was just over $20.

jake:)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts