Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I will be WAITING on the ups man to deliver my Cobra slip ons, backrest and fatty bars. My question is do I use loctite and if so what color?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Lock tite

KMB,

I can only tell you I have not used any lock tite on my bike and nothing has loosened.

If I did it would be blue, in case I needed to take it off some day.

Dave

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I agree with linerdave,blue is a pretty color to use.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Thanks for bringing that up. I can't remember the colors. Is red the permanent then? I keep picturing black, but i think that's gorilla snot (aka gasket sealant)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Red (271 or there abouts) is semi-permanent. You just have to apply a little localized heat to it in order to soften it up, and release. Personally, I usually try blue (242 grouping) first. I use a lot of their products at work, and they definately have a great product line.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you need the psychological assurance that your assembled parts and hardware will not loosen and the product directions DO NOT specify using any thread sealer, then I would only use the milder BLUE LOCTITE #242 (medium strength). It will allow you to disassemble and reassemble numerous times if need be without damaging the threads, providing you don't over torque during each application.
However, most quality aftermarket products will provide you a specific tightening torque for all of the fasteners. They may or may not recommend using any thread sealers. It's always best to follow THEIR assembly recommendations and torque all the hardware accordingly. If they don't specify thread sealer, I wouldn't bother using it. Proper tightening torque is more important than thread locker. As long as a component is torqued properly there's very little chance of it coming loose without LOCTITE.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good question and good answers im doing the same thing have new hard saddlebags and a cobra slip on going on in the next week or so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts