Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a Plug and Play gear indicator for my 2007 V Star 1100 custom and was wondering if anyone can give me some help on its installation or a link to a video that can help.
Thanks

·
Registered
201 Posts
Plug and Play? Hummm:confused:

Do post a link on what you bought and let us know how you like it once installed.

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic

·
Registered
376 Posts
That doesn't sound very plug n play if you need help in it's installation (not trying to sound like an azzhat...just chuckling at plug and play).

As @eruby said, if you can give more details on what you bought and what questions you have it would be helpful.

·
Registered
2006 Roadstar Silverado
1,343 Posts
They can register a shift when no actual shift took place like when your trying to get neutral, to work right every shift has to be a positive sure move they aren't worth the aggravation of resetting them a lot which is what you'll be doing, they read the movement of the lever not the actual gear movement

·
Super Moderator
7,857 Posts
Sorry, can’t help you much. Never saw the need for one as I go by the sound of the motor for gearing, but that’s just me.
Took me a while going from a 950 to the Roadie for engine sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I know by the RPM vs Speed what gear I am in . I also usually keep a count in my head as I shift in a subconscious way.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
10,483 Posts
Reactions: bpounds and Brad_G

·
Registered
2006 Roadstar Silverado
1,343 Posts
Roadies
Sorry, can’t help you much. Never saw the need for one as I go by the sound of the motor for gearing, but that’s just me.
Took me a while going from a 950 to the Roadie for engine sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roadies don't care what gear they're in they just keep pulling lol

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,400 Posts
I'm going to guess it is this one.

The application list is a little vague, but it does say V-Star 950 and up, and also says Dragstar 1100, which should be the same as our V-Star. I still have serious doubts that it will work.

Such a device could be designed. All it needs is input for engine RPM and MPH. It is simple math to find what gear that is. You would need some logic involved to know that the clutch was engaged, and there is a switch already for that. It would never work properly while sitting at a light, or anytime when the clutch is released and the bike is coasting.

I recommend getting your money back on that purchase.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would say that that device is about as useful as the OFRK that I bought for my 650 Classic. I bought it after a rider on a bike that I thought was the same as mine recommended it...didn't realize (and neither did he) that , while the OFRK was a good item to have on his XVS1100, it was unnecessary for my bike. I still have it in a box.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts