Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this bat wing shell off ebay last week. I ordered the digital media radio, the marine speakers and radio cover to install in it.

Love it. Ir really balances out the bike since i had bags and trunk on it already.

Before and after pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've hear so many people say bad things about the eBay fairings, I don't want to believe them.

How's the quality of yours? What'd you pay? If you don't me asking.

Looks killer!!! I want one, BAD!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was a little leary, but since this one was fiberglass and they had good reviews, I took the chance.

Overall it's good in my opinion. Obviously it's not on the same caliber as one that came factory on an Electra Glide or maybe even the $1600 aftermarket ones, but it is good and solid.

The radio opening was for a standard single din radio, so I had to open it up to install the marine cover. Also the 6X9 speaker openings, were 5 1/2 X 8 1/2. So I had to open those holes up a little too.

This is so you can make sure you fit it to your needs. Easier to cut some material away, than put it back.

The bat wing was $250 + $20 shipping.
I bought marine grade speakers on ebay also. Not top of the line, but they sound fine. They were only $50.
Radio, again not top of the line, was $40 on Amazon.
And the marine radio cover was only like, $15 on ebay.

As far as the radio, I wanted something with an SD card slot. I put in a card full of music and hit random on the radio.

It's loud enough to hear at riding speeds, but obviously a little too loud when at lights. So the radio has one large volume knob and big buttons fro advancing to forward and back for the tracks.

I wanted something easy to operate, if and when I want to play a move forward through my music.

I used a 3 pin triangular Deutsch bulkhead connector in the faring to supply power. it allows the quick disconnect of the fairing if I need to remove it.

I already had the Memphis Shades brackets with my quick release windshield to mount it.

Overall, I'm very happy with it and it only put me back about $375 total. Better on the wallet than the $950 I was looking to spend from a online dealer.

One day I'll paint it all to match, but for now I'm just enjoying it

:grin:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I hear you on the fairing. I like a fat tire cruiser and one with a fairing even more.

I just installed a fairing that was bought on ebay on my other bike. The fit and finish is pretty good and it seems well made. I haven't picked up the stereo equipment yet and mine takes 4) 5.25" speakers instead of the 6x9's.

I didn't get the fairing so I could have a stereo so I don't need expensive either. I just need something that will play and too fill the holes.

The fairing sure gives the bigger bikes a more finished look in my book.

I did however use large steel fender washers on the fiberglass side of the bolts that hold the mounts to the fairing. I wanted to spread the mounting over a larger area of the fiberglass so the bolts wouldn't eventually work loose and possibly pull thru the fiberglass.

Enjoy that fairing, it sure makes the bike look like a lot better.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I had it to do again, I would probably get the one with (4) speakers instead of the 6X9.

The 6X9 just seem so large on the faring.

I think I'l look at adding some fender washers on mine too. That;s not a bad idea to add reinforcement to the fiberglass.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I installed the large fender washers on the inside of the inner part of the fairing where the mount bolts go thru it.

One other thing I did when I mounted the fairing on my other bike (A Honda VTX 1800) is too get a head light extension. It moved the headlight 2" forward and now the headlight is even with the front of the fairing. It looks better to me than having the headlight inset.

I also like the added lightbar on the front of yours. I've been thinking of adding one too mine when I find a deal on it. (I'm pretty budget wise myself)

I'll probably go with a cheap receiver from Wal Mart. It has FM, and also has a slot for a SD card as well as a place to plug in a usb drive and also has bluetooth and an app so that it can be operated with a cell phone (Although it does have a remote included with it) It also has 18 pre sets. The price on it is $19.84. I already have the marine cover to put over the head unit.

Did you install an amp along with the stereo? How did you run the wiring for your stereo? My plan is to install a small fuse block in the fairing. I'll hook my stereo up too it as well as my HID headlight and also my two plug powerpoint that I use for my phone and GPS. I'll also be installing a digital volt meter in the fairing as well.

·
Registered
153 Posts
What did you use to mount it to the bike? can you use the stock windshield mounts with the supplied brackets with the Fairing? Can you do that, or do you have to buy a specific mounting kit?

Im hoping that you can use the OEM Silverado Windshield mount to attach the fairing to the 1100.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The best way too go is buy a fairing that is specific to your bike. You'll then get the mounts with it that will fit your bike. If you want to use other mounts, or you buy a windshield that is make for another brand/size bike then you'll have too make or convert the mounts to fit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the same fairing. Great alternative if you are on a budget. I was able to use my original windshield mounts with this fairing and drill the mounts that came with it to fit.
I paired it with a Sony marine radio/media player and marine speakers. It came with two windshields, the brownish one and a clear one. I actually prefer the clear one.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes, mine came with both the windshields. I use the dark one.

Some use quick removal mounts with the fairing so they can take it off easily, although I'm not sure why.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What did you use to mount it to the bike? can you use the stock windshield mounts with the supplied brackets with the Fairing? Can you do that, or do you have to buy a specific mounting kit?

Im hoping that you can use the OEM Silverado Windshield mount to attach the fairing to the 1100.
It said to use the Memphis Shades 48-55mm fork clamps.

They were already on the bike when I bought it.

Here is a pic of the brackets that came with the faring mounted to the Memphis Shades brackets.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you install an amp along with the stereo? How did you run the wiring for your stereo? My plan is to install a small fuse block in the fairing. I'll hook my stereo up too it as well as my HID headlight and also my two plug powerpoint that I use for my phone and GPS. I'll also be installing a digital volt meter in the fairing as well.
No, I presently don't have an amp installed, but I might in the future.

One thing I wish it did, was have the ability to raise and lower the volume with speed. It's good at 60-70 mph. then blasting at the stop light. :grin:

I also ordered a kit with a power outlet, 2 USB charge ports and a voltage gauge. They come out of bracket, so I can mount them independently.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Where did you find the charge/volt meter from?

The mounts look good. I got mounts with mine that fasten to the trees. Top where the cable stays are and the bottom under the headlight mount. As long as you have it mounted solid then your golden.

I like that wire mount. Where did you find it?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where did you find the charge/volt meter from?

The mounts look good. I got mounts with mine that fasten to the trees. Top where the cable stays are and the bottom under the headlight mount. As long as you have it mounted solid then your golden.

I like that wire mount. Where did you find it?
I found it on ebay. It was only $13.59, free shipping.

The connectors, both the bulkhead and the plug, I got from work along with the wire with the braided sheath on it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One other thing I did when I mounted the fairing on my other bike (A Honda VTX 1800) is too get a head light extension. It moved the headlight 2" forward and now the headlight is even with the front of the fairing. It looks better to me than having the headlight inset.
I really didn't think about this at first, or let it bother me.....but now it's bothering me. LOL

I can't find a headlight extension, so I bought a factory headlight bracket off ebay today and when it comes in I'll cut it up and fabricate an extension for my headlight, while keeping the factory bracket just in case I ever remove it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
A factory headlight bracket may not be strong enough. Moving the headlight out on a piece that is too thin will cause a lot of vibration in the headlight. The extension I have is 1/2" aluminum and there is no more vibration or movement in the headlight than there was.

The extension on mine is just the 1/2" plate. It bolts on where the headlight bolted on to the bottom tree. The headlight then bolts onto the front of the extension using the original bracket.

I didn't know if I'd be bothered by it so I got the extension ahead of time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh, I can understand the original bracket being made of rather thin material for a potential 2" or 3" extension. I'll be doing a major reconstruction with gussets to strengthen it up. I'm sure i'll over-engineer it so it's be solid as a tank.

I'll post pics when it's done.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts