Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found a Stryker pulley from some fella on the Stryker forum for $75 shipped. Got it installed today. Everything works as advertised (even with my 154T Victory belt) EXCEPT for the speedometer. Since it reads off the front pulley I'm now a good 5-6 mph off at 80. I confirmed this with a GPS app on my phone. Speedo read 80, GPS said 75.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
my 2000 Royal Star drive train and tires are all stock, and its off too.

When the GPS says 70 the speedometer reads 75.

When you know the error just ride accordingly.

Good job on the pulley swap. Having a taller overdrive really changes the feel of the bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought one but it's to late in the season here in Minnesota to put it on so I'll have to report on it next year. I had a Honda 750 that I did a similar change on and it made a big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what is changing the 31 tooth front pulley meant to do for your bike?
It lowers the RPM's at any speed a bit, about 250 RPM at highway speeds, which makes the bike feel more "composed" at high speeds. Before my swap, 80 mph felt really busy and the floorboards were vibey. Now, not so much.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
^ the trade off is the bike will bog down at lower speeds in all the gears (just a little).

The 2000 Royal Star I have is intended for long road trips. In 4th gear the drive train is 0.906 (overdrive) and in 5th its 0.75 (steep overdrive). The Royal Star is a V4... but if I shift into 5th gear below 55mph, even with the 73HP V4 engine I can feel its loading up until I get the bike up to about 65mph. ( I should say the bike will spool up to 55mph in 3rd gear in seconds , so hitting 5th at 55mph is puttering).

the difference with the 31 tooth front pulley on Matts bike (im not sure which bike he has) is not that extreme like an 0.75 overdrive, but you will feel it on both ends of the rpm curve.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the difference with the 31 tooth front pulley on Matts bike (im not sure which bike he has) is not that extreme like an 0.75 overdrive, but you will feel it on both ends of the rpm curve.
Sorry, 09 VStar 950.

I really only feel a difference taking off from a stop. Just drag the clutch a bit more and away you go. I kinda wonder if Yammie put the 30T in there just for beginners to keep them from conking the bike out after stops. Also, I don't lug engines. If I gas it from a low RPM I'm in 1st or 2nd gear. Get that engine spinning, these aren't steam engines or tractors.

I kinda wanna try a 32T now. After 200 miles today, a good chunk of it at highway speeds, 80 (real 80) is now right at the cusp of buzzy. Not somewhere I'd like to spend the day to be honest. The bike did have enough pep to move out of its own way at that speed too, even with the higher gearing.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I was going to do this to my 950T, until I used a gearing calculator. With only 2.2 mph gain at 3600 rpm(69mph) it has to be asked if it is worth the money and effort.
For me it makes no improvement on highway driving worth doing it. 5mph gain, then yes I might do it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sorry, 09 VStar 950.

I really only feel a difference taking off from a stop. Just drag the clutch a bit more and away you go. I kinda wonder if Yammie put the 30T in there just for beginners to keep them from conking the bike out after stops. Also, I don't lug engines. If I gas it from a low RPM I'm in 1st or 2nd gear. Get that engine spinning, these aren't steam engines or tractors.

I kinda wanna try a 32T now. After 200 miles today, a good chunk of it at highway speeds, 80 (real 80) is now right at the cusp of buzzy. Not somewhere I'd like to spend the day to be honest. The bike did have enough pep to move out of its own way at that speed too, even with the higher gearing.
I did the 32T pulley about 3 years ago now. Dropped the rpm by 500. Highway is no problem at all for me anymore.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would there be a big difference at the low end with the 32t?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I installed the 31T, but I didn't notice much of a difference in my 950, if at all. Granted I'm not a WFO kind of rider either. Heavy throttle acceleration at a brisk pace is enough for me, my goal was more to reduce highway RPM.

I just wanna know where the 32T came from. :nerd:

·
Registered
284 Posts
I had my pulley custom made for $240.00 because no one would sell me their 32T pulley. Had a machine shop hollow out a Harley pulley and shave mine down then weld mine inside the Harley pulley. I was a little skeptical at first but it's worked problem free for years and the shop now does this routinely for a number of riders here.

The only thing you notice is take off from a stop is a little slower than before. More than worth it for the top end you get out of the swap.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had my pulley custom made for $240.00 because no one would sell me their 32T pulley. Had a machine shop hollow out a Harley pulley and shave mine down then weld mine inside the Harley pulley. I was a little skeptical at first but it's worked problem free for years and the shop now does this routinely for a number of riders here.

The only thing you notice is take off from a stop is a little slower than before. More than worth it for the top end you get out of the swap.
Did you have a conflict with the speedo sensor? I know mine will probably have to be massaged out a bit, the 31T right now has about a 32nd of an inch of clearance now.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The shop never mentioned anything to me about having to adjust it so I'm not sure. Their bill only showed parts and labor so it wasn't specified if the labor included a pulley massage LOL!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts