Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my new 2018 Eluder on December 30th...and I LOVE it!! I've already ordered accessories that I have found recommendations for from this website - I have never joined a website forum thingy in my life. I've got the Rivco hitch and wiring harness coming, I've got the heated grips coming, I've got some Chrome something or other daytime running lamps/fog lamps coming and I ordered the Yamaha factory service manual - hoping for some good information within. I have now been wanting to install the factory Tire Pressure Monitor's in so that I can see them on the infotainment center. I found one post that showed where there are in the rim, opposite the valve stem, but I have not found anyone that says anything about how to install them and get them to sync with the infotainment center. I'm hoping that is because all I need to do is install them, activate them and boom - I will see them show up on the infotainment center? I have read almost every page of that Yamaha service manual and it doesn't tell me anything about how to install and activate the TPMS sensors or the GPS for that matter....I was thinking about installing the GPS antenna and seeing what I'd have to do to activate that but from the impression I'm getting from everyone on here the GPS isn't worth the hassle...? Anyway - trying to stay focused on the TPMS for now...is it just plug and play? Did someone already write up something on it? I'm new to these kind of things, forum dealies, and if I irritated anyone already I'm sorry.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
There are threads here about the troubles with updating the GPS, apparently it either works like a charm or it is never ending frustration. I don't have an Eluder but even in my cars I prefer my phone GPS/maps. I have a good phone holder (though not as good as I thought so it may get replaced soon) and I am going to install a power supply/charger so the battery will last more than about 3 hours with the screen on all the time.

As to the TPS, I'm sure someone will jump in here shortly.

I'm glad you joined us and I look forward to seeing updates and some pics as you make the bike your own!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I just bought my new 2018 Eluder on December 30th...and I LOVE it!! I've already ordered accessories that I have found recommendations for from this website - I have never joined a website forum thingy in my life. I've got the Rivco hitch and wiring harness coming, I've got the heated grips coming, I've got some Chrome something or other daytime running lamps/fog lamps coming and I ordered the Yamaha factory service manual - hoping for some good information within. I have now been wanting to install the factory Tire Pressure Monitor's in so that I can see them on the infotainment center. I found one post that showed where there are in the rim, opposite the valve stem, but I have not found anyone that says anything about how to install them and get them to sync with the infotainment center. I'm hoping that is because all I need to do is install them, activate them and boom - I will see them show up on the infotainment center? I have read almost every page of that Yamaha service manual and it doesn't tell me anything about how to install and activate the TPMS sensors or the GPS for that matter....I was thinking about installing the GPS antenna and seeing what I'd have to do to activate that but from the impression I'm getting from everyone on here the GPS isn't worth the hassle...? Anyway - trying to stay focused on the TPMS for now...is it just plug and play? Did someone already write up something on it? I'm new to these kind of things, forum dealies, and if I irritated anyone already I'm sorry.
I am a fairly new Eluder GT owner, I got it back in Sep 2020. Can't help with the TPMS. As far as I'm concerned, it's not a necessity for me. I've lived without them for almost 50 years, I make it a habit of checking tires frequently so it's no big deal. The GPS is more important to me. It was a little hassle updating it, the original factory installed software wasn't to good, but so far I'm happy with the update. If you don't have the GT version, I believe you have to buy an activation card and probably download the original software before you update to the newest version.
Link: Navigation System Upgrade
The link doesn't tell you if it includes the antenna, or if you have to buy it separate.

Edit, thinking about it, not sure if the GPS uses the installed radio antenna, or if you have to buy the CB antenna. Someone will probably know this.

I think some people are ok with the GPS. Some of the power users that want to input many destinations say it isn't user friendly compared to other aftermarket GPS systems. Since The GPS was installed on the GT model, it was a no brainer for me. If you have to buy GPS package, $350-400 may not be worth it, I'm sure others will chime in.

·
Registered
2018 Eluder
74 Posts
TPMS could be a dealer activation thing... I've not seen anything on here and being a fairly new owner, have been looking through the forum quite a bit.
With regards to the GPS, I've had no problems with it, other than understanding it's operation! - The guys on here were very useful, even with my shitty attitude!
:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am a fairly new Eluder GT owner, I got it back in Sep 2020. Can't help with the TPMS. As far as I'm concerned, it's not a necessity for me. I've lived without them for almost 50 years, I make it a habit of checking tires frequently so it's no big deal. The GPS is more important to me. It was a little hassle updating it, the original factory installed software wasn't to good, but so far I'm happy with the update. If you don't have the GT version, I believe you have to buy an activation card and probably download the original software before you update to the newest version.
Link: Navigation System Upgrade
The link doesn't tell you if it includes the antenna, or if you have to buy it separate.

Edit, thinking about it, not sure if the GPS uses the installed radio antenna, or if you have to buy the CB antenna. Someone will probably know this.

I think some people are ok with the GPS. Some of the power users that want to input many destinations say it isn't user friendly compared to other aftermarket GPS systems. Since The GPS was installed on the GT model, it was a no brainer for me. If you have to buy GPS package, $350-400 may not be worth it, I'm sure others will chime in.
As fun as it is with a larger bagger bike to lay on the ground, look for the valve stem, get up and move the bike, lay on the ground, look for the valve stem, get up and perfectly position the bike, lay on the ground and check the pressure....since there is this display handy in the middle of the instrument cluster I was just thinking how nice it would be to just check the pressure once in a while by pushing a button. I'm getting old...up and down is not quite as easy as it used to be...now its a three points contact, leverage, grunt and slight groan process...lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are threads here about the troubles with updating the GPS, apparently it either works like a charm or it is never ending frustration. I don't have an Eluder but even in my cars I prefer my phone GPS/maps. I have a good phone holder (though not as good as I thought so it may get replaced soon) and I am going to install a power supply/charger so the battery will last more than about 3 hours with the screen on all the time.

As to the TPS, I'm sure someone will jump in here shortly.

I'm glad you joined us and I look forward to seeing updates and some pics as you make the bike your own!
From what I'm seeing that it will cost to get the GPS working - I think I agree with you...I can afford a pretty nice holder/charger for my phone just fine...or just use the old tried and true method of looking for the sun and going THAT way to see what you find :) Thanks for the input :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
As fun as it is with a larger bagger bike to lay on the ground, look for the valve stem, get up and move the bike, lay on the ground, look for the valve stem, get up and perfectly position the bike, lay on the ground and check the pressure....since there is this display handy in the middle of the instrument cluster I was just thinking how nice it would be to just check the pressure once in a while by pushing a button. I'm getting old...up and down is not quite as easy as it used to be...now its a three points contact, leverage, grunt and slight groan process...lol
I get it, I'm older also, but it's more of a cost issue for me. If TPMS was standard, you bet I use it. Not willing to fork out the extra cash for something I don't need. You still have to get on the ground to put air in.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
wburbank2016 there are aftermarket options if the integrated option doesn’t work for you.
I am extremely younger than most on this forum :unsure:and I didnt like laying on the ground and getting back up only to move the bike a few inches and start the process over on my bikes before the SVTC.
So I have an aftermarket installed and worked great and had other functions other than just pressure monitoring.
Anyway another thing I did on the rear tire on the older bike was I placed a painted line with an arrow on the tire a quarter way around on each side that pointed in the direction of the stem and then just a line directly across from the stem this way I looked first and if the stem wasn’t there I knew what direction.
It helped as well with washing the rim when I didn’t have it on the lift.This way I would know how far to move it to wash it...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wburbank2016 there are aftermarket options if the integrated option doesn’t work for you.
I am extremely younger than most on this forum :unsure:and I didnt like laying on the ground and getting back up only to move the bike a few inches and start the process over on my bikes before the SVTC.
So I have an aftermarket installed and worked great and had other functions other than just pressure monitoring.
Anyway another thing I did on the rear tire on the older bike was I placed a painted line with an arrow on the tire a quarter way around on each side that pointed in the direction of the stem and then just a line directly across from the stem this way I looked first and if the stem wasn’t there I knew what direction.
It helped as well with washing the rim when I didn’t have it on the lift.This way I would know how far to move it to wash it...
Just out of curiosity what aftermarket option did you go with? I've seen a few screw on valve stem things out there but I remember my daughter got these skull caps that would glow when the bike was moving, very cool and she loved them, but one time we may have been egging each other on a bit and somewhere around 110+ one of those glowing blue skulls went shooting into the upper atmosphere and I wondered if I really wanted a screw on version...not saying that I would do that again....I'm much older now and much more responsible...but....

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
It was a screw on type and I think from these folks.
Look for something that is shock proof or vibration proof.
Waterproof or water repellent.
Also something that comes with many mounting options for the receiver.
Look for a unit that is both wireless and runs on battery with the option of connecting the unit to power from the bike.
Look for a unit that has many options for example, an alarm when pressure is low or high and heat.
The screw on type have come along way and seem to have better accuracy.

·
Registered
2018 Eluder
74 Posts
I think that's a better option - an add on.
The TPMS system is discontinued by Yamaha and I've only found one (so far) in the country... $190 plus shipping.
Then the dealer wants $150 to remove, add and replace tires and set it up with the system.

I've just ordered a TPMS kit from Amazon - $45 shipped!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
The TPMS system is discontinued by Yamaha and I've only found one (so far) in the country... $190 plus shipping.
Then the dealer wants $150 to remove, add and replace tires and set it up with the system.

Wow I hope they have spare parts to fix any that need to be fixed.....
Good luck with the purchase and give us your input on it.

·
Registered
Star Eluder
100 Posts
Hey Zamfield were did you find that one kit for $190 I've been looking for one since it's been discontinued I've been unable to find one. If you don't mind also what kit did you buy on amazon? One of the YouTube channels I watch Two Wheels big life
suggested TireMinder Motorcycle TPMS (2-Tire Kit) | Innovation Tire and it looked nice. I liked the phone integration part of it that seemed handy if you have your phone on all the time.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
I just bought my new 2018 Eluder on December 30th...and I LOVE it!! I've already ordered accessories that I have found recommendations for from this website - I have never joined a website forum thingy in my life. I've got the Rivco hitch and wiring harness coming, I've got the heated grips coming, I've got some Chrome something or other daytime running lamps/fog lamps coming and I ordered the Yamaha factory service manual - hoping for some good information within. I have now been wanting to install the factory Tire Pressure Monitor's in so that I can see them on the infotainment center. I found one post that showed where there are in the rim, opposite the valve stem, but I have not found anyone that says anything about how to install them and get them to sync with the infotainment center. I'm hoping that is because all I need to do is install them, activate them, and boom - I will see them show up on the infotainment center? I have read almost every page of that Yamaha service manual and it doesn't tell me anything about how to install and activate the TPMS sensors or the GPS for that matter....I was thinking about installing the GPS antenna and seeing what I'd have to do to activate that but from the impression, I'm getting from everyone on here the GPS isn't worth the hassle...? Anyway - trying to stay focused on the TPMS for now...is it just plug and play? Did someone already write up something on it? I'm new to this kind of thing, forum dealies, and if I irritated anyone already I'm sorry.
I have the information, you will need to purchase an $85 tool to rest the TPMS devices before you can do anything, you can find it here: www.ateq.com you want to buy the VT15 tool. it is a generic TPMS sensor tool.
The instructions say: While pushing the "Lock Switch" (the button to lock and unlock the fuel lid) turn the main switch to the "ON" position and continue to push the "Lock Switch" for approximately 8 seconds. You should hear a buzzer sound 1 time, the tire pressure warning light will then flash.

Here is where you will need the tool:
Push the Left button of the TPMS sensor activation tool (VT-15) "1" and then hold the tool near the tire pressure sensor of the front wheel.
The buzzer sounds 1 time and the tire pressure warning light flashes 2 times in a repeating cycle.
Push the left button on the VT-15 tool once again and then hold the tool near the rear wheel.
The buzzer will sound 2 times and the tire pressure warning light will come on for 10 seconds.

Back to the Bike:
Turn off the main switch to exit the ID Registration Mode.

Something that I have found while researching all of this is that these TPMS devices have a limited battery life span, so keep this in mind if you upgrade to this feature on the bikes.
Also if you have it on your bike and go in for new tires be sure to let them know that, one, you have them, and two, that they are currently all working, show them, and then take a photo as proof.
Believe me, they are not cheap to replace. I had my local dealer try to pull the BS over on me and I had to really fight to get them to cover it. and even then they said that they could not find the tool to reset it.
That was BS because it literally took 10 minutes to track it down and order the tool, now I have them checked every time I put tires on and also have the batteries checked.
Here are some pic's that I have of the paperwork and the tool.
Hope this helps you out, good luck on the GPS, I have had nothing but issues with the POS unit that they call their infotainment system, I call it more of a "work when I want painment system"

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16 Posts

You can purchase the same TPMS devices from ATEQ, they are the manufacture of the ones in the Venture according to my Yamaha Rap. and the support at ATEQ.
www.ATEC.com

·
Registered
222 Posts
You can purchase the same TPMS devices from ATEQ, they are the manufacture of the ones in the Venture according to my Yamaha Rap. and the support at ATEQ.
www.ATEC.com
I was just curious about this, so I went to the first link you gave Ateq.com : Measurement Solutions - Global leader which is the right one, but I couldn't find the VT15. There's a VT5S and a VT6. I wonder if these are the updated versions. VT5S looks like it has more capability, but the VT6 looks closer to what you showed. The link in the quote above I believe is wrong, ATEC instead of ATEQ. So how much is the total cost for two sensors and the TPMS activation tool?
I also wondered about your infotainment comment, was yours a very early model and did you update the original build software? I haven't had my Eluder very long (I did update the software), but knock on wood, haven't had any issues other than pure ignorance on where you access everything.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
I was just curious about this, so I went to the first link you gave Ateq.com : Measurement Solutions - Global leader which is the right one, but I couldn't find the VT15. There's a VT5S and a VT6. I wonder if these are the updated versions. VT5S looks like it has more capability, but the VT6 looks closer to what you showed. The link in the quote above I believe is wrong, ATEC instead of ATEQ. So how much is the total cost for two sensors and the TPMS activation tool?
I also wondered about your infotainment comment, was yours a very early model and did you update the original build software? I haven't had my Eluder very long (I did update the software), but knock on wood, haven't had any issues other than pure ignorance on where you access everything.
On the VT-15, I would suggest calling them, they do not respond to emails very well, but they do answer the phone, I cannot answer on the tools you mentioned, it would surprise me if they changed it on us. As I mentioned it is a generic TPMS tool, so it will work with several of the TPMS sensors, not just the ones we have installed, call them, they will help you out.

As for mu Infotainment unit, or lack thereof, I am on my 3rd unit with them, and yes all software and GPS software are up to date, in fact, I just got it back from a full update in Dec. and Still, it works when and only when it wants to.

AS I have mentioned before that is the only POS on the bike. If I did not need it to run the bike I would have dumped it in a heartbeat long ago. Other than that I absolutely love my bike, just wished that Yamaha would fix their crap and fix it permanently. Honestly, my bike has spent more time in the shop over the Infotainment and GPS issues than it has been out on the road. To bad Lemon laws do not apply in this matter otherwise I would give it back to them and get something else at this point. It is really sad, I love the bike, just really hate their infotainment system.

Here is the sad part I own an early 2018 Venture TC model and I have yet to even put 10,000 on it with all the issues I have had.

·
Registered
2018 Eluder
74 Posts
Hey Zamfield were did you find that one kit for $190 I've been looking for one since it's been discontinued I've been unable to find one. If you don't mind also what kit did you buy on amazon? One of the YouTube channels I watch Two Wheels big life
suggested TireMinder Motorcycle TPMS (2-Tire Kit) | Innovation Tire and it looked nice. I liked the phone integration part of it that seemed handy if you have your phone on all the time.
Sehorn Yamaha have it... In Shawnee OK.

This is the kit off Amazon.
Coming tomorrow so I'll do a quick review when I've tested it out... It's gotta get a bit above 16 deg however before ei venture out! 😁

·
Registered
Star Eluder
100 Posts
Sehorn Yamaha have it... In Shawnee OK.

This is the kit off Amazon.
Coming tomorrow so I'll do a quick review when I've tested it out... It's gotta get a bit above 16 deg however before ei venture out!
Cool thanks! Can't fault you on not heading out right away in that kind of weather.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have the information, you will need to purchase an $85 tool to rest the TPMS devices before you can do anything, you can find it here: www.ateq.com you want to buy the VT15 tool. it is a generic TPMS sensor tool.
The instructions say: While pushing the "Lock Switch" (the button to lock and unlock the fuel lid) turn the main switch to the "ON" position and continue to push the "Lock Switch" for approximately 8 seconds. You should hear a buzzer sound 1 time, the tire pressure warning light will then flash.

Here is where you will need the tool:
Push the Left button of the TPMS sensor activation tool (VT-15) "1" and then hold the tool near the tire pressure sensor of the front wheel.
The buzzer sounds 1 time and the tire pressure warning light flashes 2 times in a repeating cycle.
Push the left button on the VT-15 tool once again and then hold the tool near the rear wheel.
The buzzer will sound 2 times and the tire pressure warning light will come on for 10 seconds.

Back to the Bike:
Turn off the main switch to exit the ID Registration Mode.

Something that I have found while researching all of this is that these TPMS devices have a limited battery life span, so keep this in mind if you upgrade to this feature on the bikes.
Also if you have it on your bike and go in for new tires be sure to let them know that, one, you have them, and two, that they are currently all working, show them, and then take a photo as proof.
Believe me, they are not cheap to replace. I had my local dealer try to pull the BS over on me and I had to really fight to get them to cover it. and even then they said that they could not find the tool to reset it.
That was BS because it literally took 10 minutes to track it down and order the tool, now I have them checked every time I put tires on and also have the batteries checked.
Here are some pic's that I have of the paperwork and the tool.
Hope this helps you out, good luck on the GPS, I have had nothing but issues with the POS unit that they call their infotainment system, I call it more of a "work when I want painment system"
I found those directions for the Venture Model TPMS activation as well, but when I try it on my Eluder it doesn't sound the buzzer and no TPMS light...I then tried to see if the TPMS light even proves out during the normal first 2 seconds of when you turn the bike on and it does not...in fact, I've never heard the buzzer and am beginning to wonder if that works? When does this buzzer normally sound? Has anyone heard this buzzer on the Eluder?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts