Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Recently got my vstar and front turn signal mounts were dry rotted. Decided to replace all 4 signals with LED strips that I can place where I’d like. My question is, what do I need to know about converting to LEDs? I’ve seen a lot of posts that mention needing diodes, load equalizers, resisters, new relay, etc. So what should be needed for me to be successful in installing my new turn signals?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,636 Posts
I added a light strip to my 1100 a few years ago, I just spliced into existing wires and never had a issue, no fast flashing or anything else. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This does help, thanks. I think where I may run into issues is that I’m replacing all turn signals, not just wiring into them. Planning on relocating the license plate and putting my led strips on the fender, so I can chop the plastic off under the tail light. From what I’ve read, different year vstars react differently to LEDs which makes researching rather difficult

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,636 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
They all will have an issue with flasher speed, if you care is up to you. It's not hard to put an electronic flasher in that fixes the issue, but does remove the self-cancelling feature. Or you could install the load resistors, so it eats as much power as the old bulbs.

The normal issue is the common flasher indicator, people have had to install diodes on it, to keep the flashers from behaving like 4ways when you turn them on. I personally did not have this issue on my 2012 vstar 950.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts