Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What company is everyone using to insure their SVTC?

Adding it to my existing policy with progressive is about $1700 a year.

Markel insurance wants about $1200 a year.

Geico won't insure motorcycles in Michigan.

USAA wants over $2000 thru progressive as a single bike not keeping my Suzuki on the policy.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Eric

·
Registered
120 Posts
That seems awfully high. Of course, I can't do a direct comparison. I have an '01 650 Classic (liability only) and, a '14 Stratoliner S (full coverage) with USAA/Progressive. I pay $422 a year in Ohio.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That seems awfully high. Of course, I can't do a direct comparison. I have an '01 650 Classic (liability only) and, a '14 Stratoliner S (full coverage) with USAA/Progressive. I pay $422 a year in Ohio.

Unfortunately Michigan is a no fault state so we have some of the highest if not highest insurance rates in the country.

Eric

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'd heard that Michigan had some of the highest insurance rates. I had no idea it was that bad! Fortunately (I guess) Ohio is not one of the 12 no-fault states.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
What company is everyone using to insure their SVTC?

Adding it to my existing policy with progressive is about $1700 a year.

Markel insurance wants about $1200 a year.

Geico won't insure motorcycles in Michigan.

USAA wants over $2000 thru progressive as a single bike not keeping my Suzuki on the policy.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Eric
I don’t know why your Progressive is so high.
I have a multiple vehicle policy with them. 1 SUV, 1 work truck & my bike.
For full coverage on the bike including any upgrades I’ve done only raised my rates by $78 a month. I have full replacement value up to one year newer. I did put $5500 down on the bike which put the bike in the black as far as value so that might have helped. I don’t know.
I am in North Carolina so location has a lot to do with rates. I’ve also been riding for 35years and am over 55 so that helps too.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For full coverage on the bike including any upgrades I’ve done only raised my rates by $78 a month. I have full replacement value up to one year newer. I did put $5500 down on the bike which put the bike in the black as far as value so that might have helped. I don’t know.
I am in North Carolina so location has a lot to do with rates. I’ve also been riding for 35years and am over 55 so that helps too.
I am paying cash for the bike, over 55 and have about 37 years riding. Again I think it is due to my location.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,452 Posts
The rates are definitely tied into which state you lived in. Here's an interesting chart.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
$350 a year with Progressive, full coverage on both bikes and my gear

62, riding for 7 years - took the MSF course (10% off)

·
Registered
120 Posts
The rates are definitely tied into which state you lived in. Here's an interesting chart.

I've never been so happy to see my state in the bottom third!

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
^ that graph shows what government corruption looks like

something is criminally wrong in Michigan, seriously!

·
5,452 Posts
Here's why:

Michigan has the most expensive insurance because it has the most expensive benefits.

Michigan auto insurance has a unique and very expensive feature: Every policy includes unlimited medical coverage, also known as personal injury protection or PIP, for auto-accident victims.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I am paying cash for the bike, over 55 and have about 37 years riding. Again I think it is due to my location.
Dang dude! That really stinks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Gotta say that's definitely the first time I was glad to be in Washington! Up until this last July we weren't required to have motorcycle insurance here. So the one time I did have it (a precaution on my honeymoon) it was almost $900 a year, but I was 23 with only 4 years of riding experience at the time. I noticed 8 years later, it's considerably cheaper with the requirement for all riders to be insured.

·
5,452 Posts
Found price comparison for motorcycles. The Louisiana folks are the highest, interesting.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Found price comparison for motorcycles. The Louisiana folks are the highest, interesting.

Yes, that is interesting. I wonder what type of coverage they are quoting? I know I am asking for replacement value, $500 deductible.

Eric

·
Registered
323 Posts
I’m paying 800 a year for two bikes... uninsured, underinsured, “original” liability only, “new original”, full replacement, 500 deductible, Progressive, in TX.

“Original” = ‘liner
“New Original” = SVTC

·
Registered
144 Posts
--

One thing I do during off season is to drop coverage I can cut back on when not riding. That lowers the premium somewhat. I have Geico.

--

·
Registered
144 Posts
Not allowed to do that here in NC. Besides, I ride almost year round.
--

I ride year round too, but in two states. In Arizona when I drop my insurance, I will usually get a notice of ineligibility of some sort unless I note either that the bike is in storage or won't be ridden in the state. So the bikes in the other state (Colorado) are sometimes in storage too. It gets to be some effort but for as many "bikes" as I have, it's worth the trouble.

--

1 - 20 of 31 Posts