Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
LOL - that is one loooooong springer front end. So long I bet it doesn't even need it at all because those fork arms alone must flex like a willow tree. Plus the springer rods must slap into the fork arms even on the smoothest of roads. Anyway, fun to look at and ponder what I would have spent MY money on instaed of that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I didn't actually see this one, but its one of my favorite pictures when people talk about a true custom bike.

I did come across this one while out for a ride one day. Picture does not do it justice.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My neighbor's got one of these:

I think its a 200cc. Don't know what it is but there's just something I love about these little bobbers, especially with the suicide clutch and jockey stick. Its a kit bike, and I'm thinkin about ordering one and putting it together after I graduate.

·
Super Moderator
13,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Austin just had something called The Handmade Motorcycle Show. some of the coolest custom made and historic bikes i've ever seen. here are some photos of the coolest things i saw. this first one is of a 192? harley that have gauge for amperes where the speedo usually is. the 2nd photo shows how the speedo takes its reading on the bike.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Most interesting bike I have seen in person
is the Curtiss V8 from the early 1900s

its in the Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport, NY - lots of vintage aircraft and motorcycles.

Curtiss built his own motors for his aircraft, and to test them... he put them on motorcycles.

The V8 bike had one gear and no brakes. It held the world speed record for many many years.

You can google it, but if you get a chance to see it - the guy was nuts

and he rode it himself when he set the world record, Glenn Curtiss was officially the fastest man on earth for a decade.

The original is in the Smithsonian Air and Space museum on the Mall in DC
the one in the Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport is an exact copy. (Ive seen them both).

there is also a wiki page on this motorcycle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts