Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So went out on a group ride today, 120 miles, and noticed front wheel giving me wobble a bit... sometimes. Nothing major, but I could feel it.

Tried very hard to spot the commonality. Was it only in one direction? One speed? Under power? Under deceleration? Couldn't spot a consistency.... But was hard to try riding in formation. The few miles home alone were not revelatory.

So I'm thinking maybe lost a wheel weight or it's just got out of balance. Probably that would "resonates" more at certain speeds but I just haven't been able to spot it.

Not unstable or scary, really. But not right. Want to address it -before- it gets unstable or scary. I'm probably just taking it in to have the front wheel balanced regardless.

But any other potential cause/issue anyone can spot... would be appreciated for consideration. Esp. if it turns out the wheel is balanced just fine.

·
Registered
894 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Still gonna check front wheel balance first, since that's one of the first things the article says anyhow (and I already checked tire pressure and tire wear... plus I'm of the "check the cheap/easy stuff first" school). But this is a fantastic guide. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
522 Posts
A wheel out of balance is going to stay out of balance, not come and go; unless you have liquid (from a compressor that has not been drained or runs a drier) in the tire.

I would first check the tire surface for any anomaly. Check the front wheel bearings for smooth rotation and no play. Check the forks and neck for play. Check the front axle for runout.

Dont assume the fix, search the problem out, especially on a 2 wheeler, the risk is too high.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I too noticed some very subtle twisting motions in my handlebars while going down the freeway today at 60mph. It was enough to freak me out and I slowed down to 55. This is a bike I just purchased and I guess I need to look at replacing the tires (it's a 2007 with probably what are the original Dunlop tires on it with plenty of tread left as the bike only has 6K miles on it). I plan to find a good mechanic to take it in to eventually for a tune up.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Hey Casey. Is there a possibility that the road may have caused the vibration you experienced? My wife and I went out for bout 100 mile ride yesterday. All was fine for about first 20 miles or so. Then we got onto PA Rte. 381 south from Ohio Pyle. After a few miles the bike felt strange handling and I noticed that the road surface looked like it had been milled some time earlier. Wasn't very deep but was enough to really screw with the way the bike took to the road. At first I thought I was getting a flat tire that's how bad it was. Then we would hit a different patch and it would feel ok. All this while goin through twisties so was quite an experience. Couldn't do any more than 35mph or so cause didn't know when was gonna hit another one of those screwy patches of road again. Once we got off that road, all was good again. But let me tell ya it has made a lasting impression cause it's still in my head. What a crazy feeling. By all means have the tire re-balanced if that's what you think happened, but as Phil said, if weight came off, you would feel it it most all the time, just different degrees at different speeds. I use balance beads in my tires and have never had any issues. That is till yesterday. Good luck in your search for the root cause.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts