Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone and thanks for the forum. I'm new to the forum and an avid rider, riding motorcycles for many years. After owning a 2013 V-Star 1300 for several years, I decided to buy a used 1998 V-Star 650. On the 98, I installed the factory OEM Halogen passing lights, but not sure of the wiring. After searching through the forums, I couldn't find much help.

My question is, when the 98s came out, there were only three wires in the headlight bucket, blue for running, green for low beam and yellow for high beam. Back then, there was no accessory plug for passing lamps. So, I know people mentioned connecting them to the low beam wire, but what about connecting them to the same blue wire used for the running lights? I would like them on all of the time since I'm not restricted in my state. The Halogen passing lamps draw 5 amps, so, it seem it would make sense using the blue wire since the front running lights draw about an amp when on, and with the Halogens, 6 amps total. The low beam already draws 5 amps, so adding the passing lamps to the low beam causes a 10 amp draw on the wire, not sure this is a good idea? I assume the bike can handle the passing lamps since the headlight/running light circuit is protected with a 15 amp fuse, and the 18 gauge wiring can handle the current. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
552 Posts
My thoughts . . . See this thread - http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/49-v-star/97514-spotlightswiring-questions.html

I've gone straight to the battery with 14-gage and its own fuse (I think I'm using 15 -20 amp with LED driving lights). I use a relay to the headlight circuit so the passing lamps go off when the key is turned off and power to the headlight is off. Doing this accomplishes what you want without overloading the headlight circuit as the relay draws very little power to "open".

·
Super Moderator
6,377 Posts
Hi herrtony, welcome to the forum. Nice looking 650 there. I'm no wiring guru, however I'm in agreement with redcat. Once I mount the spotlights on my 950, I'm using the same setup he pointed out. Let us know how it works out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts