Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New 2005 V-Star 1100 owner. Bike is at 3000 miles and I am 2000 miles on it.

From Oregon doing a lot of riding around the North Coast.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,051 Posts
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Any pictures to post? Ride often and safe.

·
2,366 Posts
Welcome from Maritime Canada Major. I'd love to see a pic too.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hi MajorSpittle...glad you found our forum. Sounds like you are really enjoying your new ride! and beating the white stuff. Let us see some pics too! Ride safe and enjoy~YammyV

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Someone bought a new VS 1100 thirteen years ago, and only managed to ride it 1000 miles?!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Someone bought a new VS 1100 thirteen years ago, and only managed to ride it 1000 miles?!
Yeah it surprised me too. But I checked it out and the everything was original with no wear marks. I guess the original owner bought it and then had a stroke and parked it in his garage in hopes he would one day ride again. His neighbor bought it years later from him to get back into riding and put a couple tanks of gas through it but decided he was more in to Jeep trails and decided he needed the room in his garage to work on his vehicle and wasn't riding enough. When I test drove the bike it wasn't running good, it would barely idle and was back firing. I ran it enough that it would clear up some when on the throttle and figured it to be bad gas but got him to drop the price because it ran like like ****. He did, I took it to the gas station, filled it up with fresh gas, took it off reserve and it ran like it was off the show room floor ever since. Well, until I pulled the intake off recently, put pods on it and rejetted it myself :frown:

Working on getting it leaned out right now. It is pulling hard but sucking gas at 41 MPGish vs the 45-47 MPG it was getting before. I have already pulled the carbs a couple times because I couldn't get at the PMS screws when I wanted to adjust them. I love the bike, I bought it because it would be easy to work on. I can pull the carbs and have them back in and be riding in the bike in less than an hour.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
there is a lot to be said for a totally stock bike that no one has ever messed with. My 2005 VS650 was stock when I got it from the original owner, with 8k on the odo.

Stock bikes will get pretty good mileage, because the factory has the equipment to tune the carb jets exactly to the intake and exhaust they put on the bike. Once you start changing things out you would likewise need a lot of equipment to get the perfect mixture, esp with carbs. You always want the bike to be a little bit rich, because running even a little bit lean is really hard on the engine.

When you put a wider intake and free flow exhaust on the bike it can crank out more HP, and it breaths a little bit easier, but you almost never get better gas mileage than when it was stock, because its so easy to twist that grip and kick out another 10HP than if you had left the engine alone...

but that is the whole point of doing the mods, right? If you were going to ride the bike just the same, and never conjure up that additional HP, then why modify the engine?

So don't worry about losing a few mpg's, you will never notice it at the pump more than a few bucks here and there. If you like the way its running, ride it and be happy.

BTW, like your avatar, captured right at the moment of "Lets be independent together!" :^)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
there is a lot to be said for a totally stock bike that no one has ever messed with. My 2005 VS650 was stock when I got it from the original owner, with 8k on the odo.

Stock bikes will get pretty good mileage, because the factory has the equipment to tune the carb jets exactly to the intake and exhaust they put on the bike. Once you start changing things out you would likewise need a lot of equipment to get the perfect mixture, esp with carbs. You always want the bike to be a little bit rich, because running even a little bit lean is really hard on the engine.

When you put a wider intake and free flow exhaust on the bike it can crank out more HP, and it breaths a little bit easier, but you almost never get better gas mileage than when it was stock, because its so easy to twist that grip and kick out another 10HP than if you had left the engine alone...

but that is the whole point of doing the mods, right? If you were going to ride the bike just the same, and never conjure up that additional HP, then why modify the engine?

So don't worry about losing a few mpg's, you will never notice it at the pump more than a few bucks here and there. If you like the way its running, ride it and be happy.

BTW, like your avatar, captured right at the moment of "Lets be independent together!" :^)
I am hoping to get better MPG than the factory got, but the factory did have the front cylinder running SUPER lean. My front pipe is a very dark blue going all the way down to floor board and at the end of rides it would ping and pop. Unfortunately it is my first bike and figured that was normal but after messing with the bike I believe mine was built on a friday. They had an old style needle in the rear and a new style needle in the front. The needles had the same shims but the front needle was in the leanest clip position. :surprise:

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Nice. While I was reading your post a snow plow went down the street, and when I clicked on your photo a snow plow went by the other way.

When you get a photo you like you can add it to your garage description. Runs like a top! LOL (spins around and around for a few minutes then it falls over)

Do kids play with tops anymore?

One thing I like about the Vstar bikes, the early 650's and 1100's look nearly identical from a standoff distance. I think only the rear fender bracket is different, maybe the panel over the battery.

Its like they came up with a design they really liked, and then made it in two sizes.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We do like pics, if ya got 'em. I love Oregon. I've been out there a couple of times. Was lucky enough to ride my motorcycle all the way there from the East coast! There is not one bad motorcycle road in Oregon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts