Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Y'all in this forum are allowed to tell me that I am full of sh%t. But I feel that my bike runs better with Iridium plugs than with conventional ones.

I made the switch to iridium plugs early January. During acceleration from a complete stop or heavy acceleration when entering the hwy or fwy are situations where I can feel the difference. To prove a point, I switched back to conventional plugs (The ones I bought when I first got the bike) for one week and rode the bike to work everyday. The bike runs fine but for some reason I do not feel it has the pick up as with Iridium plugs.

Maybe it is just phsychological.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,948 Posts
When drag racing a new set of plugs, same brand, same plug, is always worth a few hundreds and sometimes more. It's new vs old. The iridium will last longer. It's not your imagination, new plug do make a difference.

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
OEM plugs cost $2 each if you buy them online when you buy other stuff you need

Every 10 to 12k miles, or when you check your valve clearance, or anytime the bike feels off - take the plugs out and check their condition for running lean or rich

and once you take them out, why put them back in? If nothing else the threads will be dirty at the end, so why screw that back into the cylinder head? Put a nice new clean white cone plug in the engine, so next time you need to look at them, you know it was clean when you installed it.

Iridium plugs are great for closed loop fuel injection car engines, that fine tune themselves and will throw a fault code if the air/fuel mixture is off - you can drive the car 100,000 miles without changing them

but for a motorcycle, with an open loop fuel injection system, and esp with carbs, pulling your plugs every 10k miles or so is part of evaluating the condition of the engine

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
if you think you are getting a performance improvement
the easy sanity test is to always keep track of your mpg performance

a few years back people were saying that running with 10% ethanol gas will reduce your mileage by 15%

which is nonsense, because that would mean the 10% added was degrading another 5% of the gasoline, like you were adding water to the fuel that had NO energy content.

I put it to the test with my Vstar 650: ran 2 tanks of regular grade ethanol free fuel (20¢ more per gallon)

and I got exactly the same mpg as running e10 58mpg commuting to work

if you cannot measure an improvement its not real

Take it to the track and show us the gate-time ticket, or you got nothing

·
Registered
416 Posts
OEM plugs cost $2 each if you buy them online when you buy other stuff you need

Every 10 to 12k miles, or when you check your valve clearance, or anytime the bike feels off - take the plugs out and check their condition for running lean or rich

and once you take them out, why put them back in? If nothing else the threads will be dirty at the end, so why screw that back into the cylinder head? Put a nice new clean white cone plug in the engine, so next time you need to look at them, you know it was clean when you installed it.

Iridium plugs are great for closed loop fuel injection car engines, that fine tune themselves and will throw a fault code if the air/fuel mixture is off - you can drive the car 100,000 miles without changing them

but for a motorcycle, with an open loop fuel injection system, and esp with carbs, pulling your plugs every 10k miles or so is part of evaluating the condition of the engine
As for me I change spark plugs every year before the riding season is here as it’s cheap and gives me a piece of mind knowing that I’m good to go for awhile.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts