Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

is it a motorcycle?

75K views 626 replies 80 participants last post by  P51 
#1 · (Edited)
just came upon an interesting question based on a vehicle spotted by member M'Lady. what constitutes a motorcycle?

wikipedia: a two or three wheeled motor vehicle.
webster's: a vehicle with two wheels that is powered by a motor and that can carry one or two people

they can't even agree on how many wheels! there's got to be a more defining method. so i'm gonna throw a series of pictures at you and you tell me which you think should be considered motorcycles. add more for consideration as you see fit. i've got some ideas to amend this definition but i want to see some debate first.

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Wiki and Websters are irrelevant. The definition that matters is what it says in the vehicle code of the state where it's registered. Here in VA there was recent legislation proposed to create "auto-cycle" as a legal definition to cover vehicles such as these:

http://www.tanommotorsusa.com/

Last year VA enacted a law that splits the endorsement on the drivers license. Before there was just an 'M' but they've divided it into M2 and M3 for bikes and trikes, respectively, and the riding tests are different.

It's important to know where a vehicle fits given the legal requirement for seat belts on some and helmets on others.

#7 ·
The MP3 scooter comes the closest simply because scooters are motorcycles to me.

Cars, motorcycles, and ATVs can all be three wheeled so that's not a qualifier or disqualifier.

The Frankenvehicles should have their own custom class.

#13 ·
I was under the impression that the Morgan qualifies because it uses a V-twin motorcycle engine..... although my first impression was "Cool car!!!!!!!"

Segways are most definitely NOT bikes because you are not sitting! :)
And #3 is probably not a bike because it almost certainly is being driven by the Beetle's engine...

I personally count a bike that has been triked out as a motorcycle but the Can-Am Spyder is not... guess I feel that a bike has to have only one wheel in the front. This is actually a really interesting debate.

#15 ·
#8 is a "Tomahawk" concept vehicle built by Chrysler. That's a V-10 Viper motor you see inside that thing!

Here's Ontario Canada's laws regarding these things

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/emerging/index.shtml#tricycles

"motor tricycles" are licensed separately from motorcycles here. Some vehicles like that #7 MP3 scooter however are considered motorcycles despite having 3 wheels, probably because the MP3 leans into turns. Same goes for that Tomahawk. It technically has FOUR wheels, but also leans into turns

#17 ·
I disagree with can-ams being a bike. I find them to be ridiculous.
i agree. but if i had the chance, i would definitely try them out because i akin them to a street-legal ATV.

it looks like a bunch of people have a bunch of differences on what qualifies a vehicle to be a motorcycle. this is from the Texas DPS:

"Motorcycle" means a motor vehicle,
other than a tractor, that is equipped
with a rider's saddle and designed to
have when propelled not more than
three wheels on the ground.
TTC
541.201(9)
Note: trikes are included in this
description

so then what are these? tractors or motorcycles?

#21 ·
#8 is the only one I would classify a motorcycle

#22 ·
Most of those oddball flights-of-fancy vehicles shown would likely be classed as trikes, although some are just so different that a new ruling would have to be defined. Vehicles like the Segway for example wound up "falling through the cracks" of definition so badly that they in fact became orphans. Most cites don't allow Segways to be operated anywhere in public, sidewalk or road.

Other upcoming freakish vehicles like this will be needing a new class definition, that is if they're allowed to be driven legally on streets at all

#32 ·
For me #8 is the only motorcycle in the group.
I don't consider a can-am a bike but then again is it a trike? What about the new slingshot? Is that a bike, a trike, or a three wheeled car? And why do you have to wear a helmet to drive one? Is it because it has three wheels or because you are open and exposed while driving one? In my opinion you are just as exposed in a jeep w/o the top or any convertible car but they don't require a helmet. Curious as to the ruling on that one.

#34 ·
The only thing I can contribute is what recently happened in Texas over the Polaris Slingshot. The Slingshot was illegal in TX up until a few months ago because a motorcycle was defined as having a seat that had to be straddled.

Here in NC up until last year, you could get your motorcycle license on a Can-Am. They wised up and now we have a 2 wheel endorsement and 3 wheel endorsement. The book test is a little different but the skills test is the same.

That said, in the US, i believe motorcycles have to be defined by the state.

#36 ·
I was thinking the same thing Bevo. How much skill is involved in a stop and go without putting a foot down on a Can-am? :confused::confused:

#37 ·
I think the Segway, the little red car and the last one(4 wheels) are not motorcycles. Most of the time if someone used car parts to make a chopper with three wheels was always called a motorcycle. Ones with the tractor parts are the results of what you have around to make your version of a motorcycle. ATV's where made to adapt to sand and snow easier. I know what I said about car parts and choppers but the slingshot I do not agree with.