Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting a Knight Riderz 12LED bar for the back end. Will be here by the weekend and looks to be an easy 3 wire crimp tie-in and ready to go.

The LED continually sequences just like the light bar from the TV series, then flashes and goes solid when the brake light is applied.

Question ?? can you mount one on the front end legally ?/ is there some law that prevents a red sequencing light bar on the front end ?

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Good question Jeff. I can't back up my answer with any hard facts but other than white lights, the only other legal color would be amber.

I'm sure somebody will shed some light on this.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Don't know about Nevada, but in Texas you can run l.e.d. lights of any color, as long as they aren't flashing or fading. You need to check with the laws in your state, it will save you a ticket.

·
Registered
239 Posts
They don't meet DOT specs so they are illegal everywhere. Most LEDs for motorcycle lights are illegal. I converted my back end to LED's and flashing brake lights (when you first apply the brake) so as to be seen but they are illegal. It only matters if your state/county/local gov't wants to persue it.

:)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most all states don't allow RED or BLUE and some don't allow a light that blinks .
I do have a headlight modulator that blinks and I know that it is legal for daylight hours. There is a sensor attached to it that measures ambient light and turns the modulator off during the evening hrs

But, that is a "horse of a different color" ...:D:D

·
Registered
923 Posts
I used to have blue running lights - bright blue - and I had no problems but I have been told by LEO that if they were blinking/pulsing then it would have been and red lights of any size/shape would have been a problem. My suggestion would be to just check out your local MVA to see what the rules are.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Are those LED lights "illegal" or not DOT approved? There is a differance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I own TnT Renegade Lights based in Texas, some states have certain color restrictions, but as long as they don't face forward or flash they are legal in the state of Texas. Some states such as Colorado don't allow green, because that is the color of the forest service. You need to check with the highway dept. in your state. I run my blue led's all the time, at night in Texas and haven't ever been pulled over for running them. We sell all colors of led lights and haven't had any reports of ticketing, as long as they aren't flashing.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Are those LED lights "illegal" or not DOT approved? There is a differance.
There is NO difference. If they are not DOT approved they are NOT for road use period and only for off road use. Most ALL LED's for motorcycles are NOT DOT approved. That doesn't stop me from using my LED's to be seen but be aware you can be ticketed.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is NO difference. If they are not DOT approved they are NOT for road use period and only for off road use. Most ALL LED's for motorcycles are NOT DOT approved. That doesn't stop me from using my LED's to be seen but be aware you can be ticketed.
I agree , since I'm placing the sequencing LED close to the rear brake light. Definitely one of those "Here I am, do you see me"

I believe I will be safe from ticketing.

I'll have to look into NV DMV rules and laws to see about placing a red sequencing LED to the front .

·
Registered
257 Posts
You're right. I think I was just nit-picking. Between the visitors from up north and yard work, I'm just gittin' bitchy. Need to ride more before I'm too old and croack!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Package arrived Fri pm in the mail.

Did the install this AM. Very easy 3 wire T-Tap connections and TADA done.

I followed the install guide with photos over on 1300tourer.com

Took less than an hour.

Definitely an eye-catcher

1 - 15 of 15 Posts