Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my bike it came with a box of parts. Included in the box were a set of pods and a box of jets and other carb parts. I have drilled my stock pipes and would love to add the pods and rejet but here is my dilemma...is it really that easy? I am fairly mechanically inclined but when I get into new territory I get nervous I am going to screw something up. Last thing I want is to take my running bike and turn it into something I have to trailer to a mechanic. When I first got it I removed and cleaned the carbs myself but I couldn't solve my running issues. I still had to take it to a mechanic. That makes me even more nervous about tackling the jetting.
I read here where folks with no experience have done it with no issues but I am still apprehensive about it. On the flip side I would love to know how to do it, and if it's that easy I would hate to pay someone to do it for me.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So it turns out I have a complete Maxair predator kit. Does maxair number their needles differently than mukini? The numbers in the kit don't match up with the suggestions in the charts on the KB page. The KB page says when using a kit go by the kit instructions but I was just wondering why the difference.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I used to be scared of carbs, I once took off my 4bbl off of my Olds 442 apart on the kitchen table when I was 14, mom didn't approve of that :) , and I had to take it to an experienced mech to get it put back together.

But since, I sucked it up and have rejetted a couple bikes, but being careful to follow jet sizing recommendations from others near the same elevation etc, to try to make it a one shot deal. its not that bad, really! just be sure to keep track of the order of which you take things apart, and not strip anything out (bowl screws etc).

As for the diff in jet sizes, my experience is diff needle and jet manufacturers use their own sizing charts and profiles.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will someone give me their advise on this please. I am reading the maxair instructions as well as the KB. The KB states to use the kit instructions but it also gives a chart that's listes as "a good place to start". Well there are some differences and some are more than one jet size. Just wondering what you guys that have done this would recommend. I have stock pipes with the "Slash cut exhaust third baffle gutted" mod listed on the 650 wiki page. with the maxair kit it suggests 22.5 pilots and 142.5 mains and two .5mm shims on the needle. The chart on the KB suggests 17.5-20 pilots and 145-147.5 mains and the same settings on the needles. Also since I have pretty much gutted my pipes should I go with the recommendations for slip-ons or stick to the drilled. And lastly, my bike is an 06 that has the solenoids on the carbs but it has older pipes w/o cats. The kit I am installing has been on the bike previously. Do I need to do anything with the solenoids in the carb bowls or just leave them alone? They do not appear to have been tampered with previously.
Sorry for the long post with multiple questions. Like I said in the first post I just don't want to screw this up so I'm collecting all the knowledge and advice I can find first.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks nick but I have all the parts. Just looking for suggestions on which ones to install.
I'm just second and third guessing myself is what my problem is.:mad:

·
Registered
894 Posts
The 650 Wiki suggestion seems like a great place to start. I like to say "one change at a time". Makes it easier to back out if things don't go the way I like.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm confused, if you have an 1100 why are you looking up info on a 650?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes nick is correct. I only references the 650 page to show what I had done to my exhaust. I'm not looking up info for my 1100 on the 650 page guys.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I second the suggestion "one change at a time." Not only that, make notes and maybe even take pictures. Make ONE change, go out and try the results. If you like it, try the next change. If not, put it back as it was and try another change. And don't fall victim to the common misconception that louder is the same as more powerful.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK I think you guys are confused. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I sometimes have that problem.
I am only wanting advice and suggestions of rejetting my carbs. I gutted my pipes last year. I am only making one change and that is installing a pod kit.
All I am seeking is opinions and suggestions from those with the experience of having done this in the past. I am a little confused because the kit instructions and KB page show what I feel is a significant difference in what jet sizes to install.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
If it is the Max air kit and you are using their parts....follow their instructions to the letter. That will also entail changing the float level I believe. Follow the instructions to the letter and you should be fine. Make sure you use jetting for stock pipes if that is what you have. It doesn't matter if you "gutted" them or not.

The instructions in the wKB are for the "pod kits" developed in the V Star 1100 Riders Forum on Delphi because some of us didn't care for the way the Max Air (or the way their owner treated us) did their kit. The "pods" are a little simpler, a little less expensive......but uses different parts as listed in the wKB. Max Air has may have recently changed some of the parts and set up but it sounds like you have one of the earlier kits.

So again, if you are intent on only using the parts that are there.....use the Max Air instructions

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Mick. That's the info I was looking for. Yeah I plan on just using what I have. See no need to buy other parts if what I have will work. As far as adjusting the float, I noticed the kit had a homemade float guage in it but the kit instruction mention nothing about the float so I am not going to touch it.
Thanks for the heads up on the stock pipe settings as well.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Rejetting can be a difficult task or a walk in the park.

Pod style filters increase air flow by a large margin (much bigger jets needed)

Not having a full set of aftermarket pipes may put some limitations on power. (yes loud does not equal power)

You must also adjust the idle mixture settings

Keep all parts from each carb separate ( never mix components)

Many people have done this with minimal skills. It can turn out good
on the first try. And you may need to tweak in some areas.
That it where the skills are required....

Good luck hope you get it running like you want....

jake

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay here's where I'm at I did everything per the max air instructions for drilled stock pipes. 142.5 mains and 22,5 pilots. Bike seems too rich. When you get on it it takes a second before it takes off. It doesn't spit or sputter just isn't as responsive as it was. I don't have any popping on decel but have just a touch while idling. I'm thinking drop one size on each jet. 140 & 20.
Can I eliminate the idle popping with the pms and if so which way. Out a tad?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
It's hard to say what you've got going on. It's not running right and you're just making assumptions as to how to fix it. That is not a good thing unless you have years of experience and access to the tools to tell you what your AFR is. You can guess a million times and still be wrong.

If it was me, I'd use the info in the wKB and get the right parts for the job so you know exactly what you have. No guessing......

Use the stock Mikuni needles, get a pair of Mikuni 145 mains...leave the pilots at 17.5 (my guess is that is 70% of the issue you have now) and turn the PMS to about 2.5.....but be prepared to possibly reset them to 3.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts