Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 2003 V Star Custom 1100 last week and noticed that I run out of gas at around the 65 mile range. It ony takes 1.6 gallons to fill my tank even though my research shows it should be a 4.5 gallon tank.

Is there something wrong or did the previous owner swap tanks? There are no badges.

·
Premium Member
2000 Yamaha V-Star 650
200 Posts
It looks like the original/1100 tank, and yes it should hold almost 5 gallon, curious tho have you shined a flashlight down in it and looked to see if possible something is in there taking space?

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Or it could be you are running on gravity feed and the fuel pump isn't working, with gravity it will only have enough pressure to run about 1/2 tank or less.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Or it could be you are running on gravity feed and the fuel pump isn't working, with gravity it will only have enough pressure to run about 1/2 tank or less.
Would that effect the amount of fuel I could put in the tank though?

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
It would effect the amount of fuel used, so it won't be completely empty when you fill up. if it is completely empty you have a modified tank and I would be afraid something is stashed in that tank.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,399 Posts
The carbs are actually above the bottom of the gas tank. The pressure of gas will fill the carbs till the fuel level is about half full. Then the fuel in tank is actually lower than the carbs. That's why you have a fuel pump. The fuel pump is a low pressure pump and only pumps when needed. When you first turn your key on, can you hear the pump clicking. Also, you said you ran out of gas, did you look in tank, while moving bike side to side, to see if there was still gas in there?

·
Registered
1979 Big Wheel
21 Posts
It may just be cold outside,. Or perhaps it's been swimming.

Everyone's tank is different, just because your tank is a little smaller, doesn't mean you can't have fun with it.

Have you tried watching motorcycle racing, or tried thinking about riding two bikes at once ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts