Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.facebook.com/dan.fraser.100/posts/271571269645202?comment_id=1182099&offset=0&total_comments=1&ref=notif&notif_t=share_comment#!/photo.php?fbid=4814186915602&set=o.337908712902416&type=1&theater

in case the link doesn't work, here's the info on it:

2000 Yamaha (Star) 1600 cc RoadStar Silverado. 20k plus miles, good tires, overall excellent condition. Very dependable & sharp motorcycle. The bike has over 5k in added extra's, and included are some extra parts (take offs) and a full cycle cover.

Some of the extra's: upgraded Ultimate Cruise leather (not vinyl) seats (studded) Yamaha upgrade.
Leather studded high profile back rest (passenger)
Drivers studded backrest
... Leatherman studded saddle bags
Leatherman front fork studded tool bag
Vance & Hines Longshots exhaust....(new factory exhaust included)
Chrome side covers,rectifier cover, billet rear lic. plate bracket, chrome eng. guards.
Kuryakyn ISO grips w/ throttle rocker,ISO foot pegs, brake pedal, shift pegs.
K&N chrome air cleaner w/ filter and Dry charger foul weather cover.
Yamaha halogen driving lights, Baron's billet tachometer.
This motorcycle loves the highway and has a new battery. $5300.00 Belmond, IA

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't see the Silverado listed in Blue Book but between the two models listed for that year 1600cc its showing $3300 to $4000 when purchased from a dealer in excellent condition. Trade in value listing around $2700. So guess it depends if all the add ons are worth it. I'm sure other more knowledgable folks will advise but that's what I noticed on a quick search.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
13,283 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's why I don't use KBB. Use NADA. They're more realistic. MY thoughts were the fact that its the start of riding season and NADA has it at 3700-5000. And for any bike more than 4 years old, 20k miles is low.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I don't use any of that stuff, I use what's for sale around me and how much it costs. That's steep for a 2000, a coworker just bought an 04 with 8k for that much. The only difference I can see is he has no tach and no bags. But your area might be very different. "Pricing and availability subject to change without notice."

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
problem is that this is LITERALLY the first road star ive ever seen for sale in my area (iowa)

·
Administrator
13,283 Posts
kelly blue book is to be used as a guide, and i'm confused why NADA would be better if it gives such a large range in value. seems like that kind of defeats the purpose in determining value. agree with fatjay that similar selling bikes in the area help dictate the market value. but 20K miles on any motorcycle engine is not considered low, especially when most bikes you can find for sale just about anywhere usually only have a few thousand miles on them.

i say $5300 is way too much for that bike. talk the guy down if you really want it. find prices of other similar Road Stars and quote those asking prices to this guy. he doesn't have to know if they are nearby or not. just do what you can do haggle that price down.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i always haggle the price down. to say that 20K is alot of miles tells me that these bike dont last long or you dont treat your bikes very well. here's a few examples: my 98 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 has 55K on it, my mom's 97 Honda Shadow ACE 750 has 152K on it, my buddy's 2000(?) HD Springer Softail has over 200K, and the list goes on and on. ill put over 15K on a bike in a year, so to say that 20K is alot doesnt give me much confidence in either 1) your judgement or 2) the Yamaha brand or 3) the Road Star itself. just my 2 cents. i was just seeing what everyone's thoughts were and why they though the way they did. i will use a few tips i seen here. thanks a bunch

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
I don't think 20k miles is a lot for these bikes at all and I didn't read Bevo's comment to mean that.

However, I DO think 20k miles is a lot compared to what most used bikes have in the current market (and that's how I read Bevo's comments).

Most used bikes I see for sale have under 10k mikes and many have only a few thousand. Most buyers simply are not long-haul riders and, in fact, usually buy on impulse and end up riding very little. That's great for buyers like us b/c we get super low mileage bikes for used prices.

For comparison, I looked at a 2004 Roadstar a few hours south of me for $4k with an amazing paint job and list of upgrades. It was winter pricing I suppose, but it wasn't the only one I saw.

If you're willing to travel a bit, perhaps you can find better deals. If not, then take the best deal you can find and enjoy!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
13,283 Posts
Miescha gets it. i'm trying to describe factors that affect the resell value of the bike. i'm not suggesting the bike falls apart when you hit a certain mileage point. but a bike with more miles generally does not warrant as high a resell price as the same or similar bike with fewer miles. and a bike for sell with 20K miles on it is a lot more miles than 90% of the other bikes on the market that have, say, around 5K miles. this is a bargaining chip. and a 13 year old bike generally warrants a lower resell price than a similar bike that is only, say, 8 years old. and there are a ton of bikes available that are newer than 2000. Fatjay found 2 other roadstars that are newer and with fewer miles with the same or lower asking prices. this supports the point i'm making. again, these are just factors that affect resell value and why i'm trying to explain why i think this seller's asking price is too high for his ride.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well the one in belmond is the same bike that im talking about, i just found it on facebook. i fully understand what your talking about with miles and years. part of the problem is that my dad doesnt seem to want to travel to find anything. i found a v star about 5 hours away and he didnt want anything to do with it. that is why i was asking if this was a "decent" deal, as i know its by no means the deal of a lifetime lol

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Well, if you can't travel then you're clearly limited in your choices. In that case, I say go with my final advice and get the best deal you can given your geographic restrictions and enjoy the hell out of it! Never look back, forget the buyer's remorse, and stop shopping once you buy and the deal is done - it won't help you to know a better deal came along two days later.

Just have fun!

·
Administrator
13,283 Posts
part of the problem is that my dad doesnt seem to want to travel to find anything.
get on the internet and find some more road stars for sale. doesn't matter what they are. then you can take that info to the guy and say "i found other similar road stars that are asking __________ which is lower than what you are asking for." you can let the seller know his is closest and you like his better, but it let's him think you'll go somewhere else to get a better deal. it's about arming yourself with information and making you a more educated buyer. make the seller realize he needs to come down in price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts