Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes. this is a thread about tire pressure.

just want to send a reminder to everyone to check the air in your tires. in the winter, the colder air causes the air in your tires to contract and decreases the pressure more than it would heading into a warmer season.

just aired my tires back up and was surprised that my back tire was only a couple pounds low, but my front was about 10 pounds low. it's usually the other way around for me.

·
Super Moderator
13,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So ThiRty eAch doesn'T sOund too bad with it being Winter. i wAs down to 20 on my fRonT.

tHere's Actually more to the Story than that.

foR some reAson i couldn't get the cap off the Back tIrE Stem. took me several minutes. felt like the twilight zone.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I do not have stem caps or whatever they are called on my tires because i was told they can cause pressure leaks,and have heard it is the opposite,anyone have input on that?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Stem caps:confused: More info needed(at least on my end) Ain't got a clue what you mean:eek: If you mean valve caps, someone
give you a line on making air leak:rolleyes:

(you ain't tryin to josh the boys a bit, are you?:rolleyes:)

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Inside the tire's valve stem there is a fairly delicate check valve. This valve is prone to leaking if dirt an road grime find it's way deep inside the stem. Valve stem caps keep the crud out so it is better to use them.

Secondly, that was dam funny Bevo LOL!

·
Registered
127 Posts
When you change your tires from summer air to winter air you need to install winter stem caps, and vise verse when you switch back to summer air. You need summer stem caps!!:D

BEVO ur funny!!:eek:

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Ya, I used to do that but it is such a hassle. So now I have my air bottled and sent from Hawaii where the composition is specific to air at a fairly constant 82 degrees and a RH at about 60%. My valve stems are now in the shape of palm trees which is the universal symbol that my tires contain tropical air. All you need to do is unscrew one of the coconut shaped caps and add more tropical air as needed. Never had a problem with air swapping since.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ya, I used to do that but it is such a hassle. So now I have my air bottled and sent from Hawaii where the composition is specific to air at a fairly constant 82 degrees and a RH at about 60%. My valve stems are now in the shape of palm trees which is the universal symbol that my tires contain tropical air. All you need to do is unscrew one of the coconut shaped caps and add more tropical air as needed. Never had a problem with air swapping since.
I remember reading somewhere about this. They said the sea salt mist in Pacific Island air actually help your tires last longer!! Geezzzzz, now I remember after 10 rear tires!!:(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Correct tire pressure

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I noticed that the recommended pressure as stated on my tires is different than what Yamaha recommends per the sticker on the bike frame. Any thoughts about which I should use?

·
Registered
794 Posts
You should use the tire pressure on the tires.... unless they are Yammy tires in which case there is a clear case of Yamaha being confused.... :)

·
Super Moderator
13,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry if this has been answered before, but I noticed that the recommended pressure as stated on my tires is different than what Yamaha recommends per the sticker on the bike frame. Any thoughts about which I should use?
Yamaha's recommendations are for the stock Bridgestone tires. each tire has its own recommendation and should be labeled on the side of the tire.

i would recommend west Austin air as opposed to east Austin air for your tires

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've found that river air off the Mississippi River is more dense than any other air. Makes the silver bikes run faster than any other color!

🇺🇸 Ride your own ride. 🇺🇸

·
Registered
354 Posts
All kidding aside last time mine were filled I had them filled with nitrogen. It seems to keep a constant pressure from the cold to hot. I always use the max pressure on the tire not the sticker. Don't need to recreate the issue ford had a few years ago under inflating for a smoother ride

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yeah its not different from air ride wise I've heard some people claim a smoother feel with it but im convinced that's all in their head. I know the molecules compress different supposed to run cooler but I have yet to see a difference other then stable tires pressure

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 26 Posts