Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was really hoping to get through the rest of the season before having to change my tires. Time and Money, my two most needed things, lol.

I only ride a few hundred miles a season, I know, I wish I could ride more often.

Im getting mixed information from other places that ive read. Is this tire completely shot? Is it a death trap? Or can I do hang on to these for another 300-500 miles?

Im sure they are original tires too. they are the Dunlop 404 and its a 2003 V Star 1100 Silverado. Has 10,300 miles on it and presumably that many miles on the tires. Im not the original owner, so im guessing. I need to go read the manf. date on the tires. Just haven't had time.

The cracks are mainly on the rear tire.

Anyone else see these on their dunlops?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not worth the risk

I think this is a perfect example of the cost of keeping the tires will be exponentially more than changing them. Do you and your family a favor and change the tires. The price of new tires will be far cheaper than what could happen to you, the bike, and anything you hit.

·
Super Moderator
6,228 Posts
Ex I'm in agreement with the others, I'd change them, especially if there's cracks. I know it's not cheap, yet I don't want to see anything happen to you.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Is this tire going to kill you?

Yes.

So given that answer, how do you feel about time/money now?

10+ years old with cracks? You're rollin' the dice and the odds aren't with you. The tires darned well -could- kill you. Literally.

Replace 'em.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Original tires??? For god's sake, buy new ones regardless of how good the tread is or how small the cracks look... 2003 tires are NOT safe

·
Registered
13 Posts
Any cracks in the rubber are dangerous because those cracks are SHOUTING "I'm going to kill you !!!" They are old and the rubber is /has broken down. A 12 year old tire begs the question, "What else has been neglected on this machine? Final drive lube, brakes, spoke tightening? Save your own life - if it were mine, I wouldn't even ride it to the dealer, I'd trailer it in.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I got a pair for my Roady from Motorcycle Superstore - set me back 340.00. Your front probably needs to be changed as well. Are you worth 300.00 ?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. much appreciated. I figured as much. Just curious if it was a common thing or not on those tires, and how serious it was.

So, next question is:

What tires should I get next?

I know that replacement Dunlops are good bang $$ for buck, but what is a better tire that's not too $$$?

Ive heard the Metzeler ME880 are popular.

What do you guys recommend for tires? without breaking the bank. I would like to stay under $400, installed... if I can.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Since you don't ride much and you probably don't want to spend much so I would go with a Shinko tire. I bought the Shinko 777HD and I'm very happy with them. I bought them online at motorcycle-superstore and I only paid $193 for the pair.

·
Registered
609 Posts
+1 on the Perrelli's. Put a rear on the front of my 1100 Classic and after couple hundred miles, I still love it. "Major" improvement over the 404 I had on it.
Pirelli makes great tires, i've used 'em on bikes and cars both. But I've found their quality spotty: I'd say 1/4 of the Pirelli tires I've bought have been out of round. I then had a couple mechanic friends say that's not especially uncommon for them. So if you go Pirelli make sure you buy 'em somewhere with a decent return/replace policy in case you need to invoke it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts