Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Is this Tire gonna kill me

4K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  caseyjones 
#1 ·
I was really hoping to get through the rest of the season before having to change my tires. Time and Money, my two most needed things, lol.

I only ride a few hundred miles a season, I know, I wish I could ride more often.

Im getting mixed information from other places that ive read. Is this tire completely shot? Is it a death trap? Or can I do hang on to these for another 300-500 miles?

Im sure they are original tires too. they are the Dunlop 404 and its a 2003 V Star 1100 Silverado. Has 10,300 miles on it and presumably that many miles on the tires. Im not the original owner, so im guessing. I need to go read the manf. date on the tires. Just haven't had time.

The cracks are mainly on the rear tire.

Anyone else see these on their dunlops?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Not worth the risk

I think this is a perfect example of the cost of keeping the tires will be exponentially more than changing them. Do you and your family a favor and change the tires. The price of new tires will be far cheaper than what could happen to you, the bike, and anything you hit.

#6 ·
Is this tire going to kill you?

Yes.

So given that answer, how do you feel about time/money now?

10+ years old with cracks? You're rollin' the dice and the odds aren't with you. The tires darned well -could- kill you. Literally.

Replace 'em.

#8 ·
Original tires??? For god's sake, buy new ones regardless of how good the tread is or how small the cracks look... 2003 tires are NOT safe

#9 ·
Any cracks in the rubber are dangerous because those cracks are SHOUTING "I'm going to kill you !!!" They are old and the rubber is /has broken down. A 12 year old tire begs the question, "What else has been neglected on this machine? Final drive lube, brakes, spoke tightening? Save your own life - if it were mine, I wouldn't even ride it to the dealer, I'd trailer it in.

#13 ·
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. much appreciated. I figured as much. Just curious if it was a common thing or not on those tires, and how serious it was.

So, next question is:

What tires should I get next?

I know that replacement Dunlops are good bang $$ for buck, but what is a better tire that's not too $$$?

Ive heard the Metzeler ME880 are popular.

What do you guys recommend for tires? without breaking the bank. I would like to stay under $400, installed... if I can.

#20 ·
Pirelli makes great tires, i've used 'em on bikes and cars both. But I've found their quality spotty: I'd say 1/4 of the Pirelli tires I've bought have been out of round. I then had a couple mechanic friends say that's not especially uncommon for them. So if you go Pirelli make sure you buy 'em somewhere with a decent return/replace policy in case you need to invoke it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.