Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
05 Vstar 1100
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I'm spoiled as a former Gold Winger, but it seems my VStar 1100 (05) is mighty rough on acceleration. I finally got it to start and idle smoothly but in the throttle it feels more like a jackhammer. Is this normal? Am I alone on this?
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2008 vstar 1100 classic canadian edition
429 Posts
you are correct, the goldwing is a cadillac the vstar is not. also 6 cylinders vs 2. i road my brother gw there is no question my next bike will be a gw.

·
Premium Member
05 Vstar 1100
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Surely my comparison was apples to oranges, but the point is, should it feel that hard? And what I consider a noisy engine, whether its clutch whine or near the alternator? Not complaining, i enjoy the bike nearly every day. Easy to handle , great brakes. But i won't be running the interstate on it.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,841 Posts
When my carbs were out of sync, it felt like hammering under my butt.

·
Premium Member
05 Vstar 1100
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I suspected that, Bill. Wish I had the sync gauge setup i had to have for my first Wing. Oh well, I think I can find a couple, maybe make one. I had rebuilt the carbs, new everything, new air filter , oil filter, gas filter, plugs....still ran rough, then I replaced the Vance & Hines slipons with the originals. That smoothed it up a bit, but yeah, syncing the carbs sounds like a good idea. Thanks. Sktill getting used to the various engine noises when cruising along, now that the exhaust is more in keeping with this 72 yr old former Geezer Glide owner....

·
Registered
2003 V Star 1100 Classic, Bluish-Silver
87 Posts
I can guarantee it will smooth up a bit, or maybe even a lot, after synchronize the carbs. Especially if the carbs were rebuilt and not synced after the rebuild. You should really synch anytime the air fuel ratio is messed with. So, changes to the exhaust system, cleaning/rebuilding the carburetors, adjusting the pilot mixture screws, air filter, ect. For reference, with my carburetor synced perfectly according to my manometer, the most vibey RPM is 3000 RPM. I'm guessing that might apply to other v Star 1100s, too. I don't think I've ever revved past like 4,800 though. This is reminding me that I need to stop being a whimp and crack this thing wide open soon

·
Premium Member
05 Vstar 1100
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good advice. So I made my own nanometer? Warmed up the motor, plugged the tubing onto the vacuum ports, started the bike, and both carbs sucked the Stabil right through. Am I missing something about the rig I built much like the ones I've seen? I'm trying to pos pics of my setup but no luck. And couldn't find your pics.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,841 Posts
How can it suck it up both ways? That would mean it had to cavitate the fluid at the bottom of the tubing loop. I'm not understanding how that can work.

Having said that, Stabil is very low viscosity. I've never heard of that being used as the medium. Most recommend 2 stroke oil. Even that varies a lot in viscosity, and the oil I had around at the time was a rather light body. But still a lot thicker than Stabil. The tubing diameter comes into play too, since the fluid friction comes into play. I think any fluid can work (best if it can be safely consumed by combustion), but you might need to buffer the vacuum flow down by inserting orifices in each of the tube ends. Might take some trial and error. I know some guys have used carb jets for their buffer orifices, but that's not something I would have laying around. My commercial analog gauges have thumb screws that you can use to choke down the vacuum flow. For the same reason.

Reactions: lesblank

·
Premium Member
05 Vstar 1100
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How can it suck it up both ways? That would mean it had to cavitate the fluid at the bottom of the tubing loop. I'm not understanding how that can work.

Having said that, Stabil is very low viscosity. I've never heard of that being used as the medium. Most recommend 2 stroke oil. Even that varies a lot in viscosity, and the oil I had around at the time was a rather light body. But still a lot thicker than Stabil. The tubing diameter comes into play too, since the fluid friction comes into play. I think any fluid can work (best if it can be safely consumed by combustion), but you might need to buffer the vacuum flow down by inserting orifices in each of the tube ends. Might take some trial and error. I know some guys have used carb jets for their buffer orifices, but that's not something I would have laying around. My commercial analog gauges have thumb screws that you can use to choke down the vacuum flow. For the same reason.

Problem solved! While at petsmart fo the dog, I wandered to the acquarium section and found air control valves for ³/16 hose. They worked perfectly, even with the stabil. Thanks for all the input and advice. Makes me wanna buy into a membership.. I think the reason it initially sucked all the stabil was the drastic amount the were out of sync.

·
Premium Member
05 Vstar 1100
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Problem solved! While at petsmart fo the dog, I wandered to the acquarium section and found air control valves for ³/16 hose. They worked perfectly, even with the stabil. Thanks for all the input and advice. Makes me wanna buy into a membership.. I think the reason it initially sucked all the stabil was the drastic amount the were out of sync.
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

Font Wheel Material property Poster Advertising

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,841 Posts
Did you git'r synchronized? And did it help with the roughness?

·
Premium Member
05 Vstar 1100
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes I did Bill. Synced and smooth. Vance and Hines slash cut slipons are in the box and in the shed and the factory mufflers on. Syncing went easy once I got the gauge modified with air control valves from the local acquarium supply. Time was short on a cold day for a test ride, but 20 minutes out I was pretty convinced it was quite successful. Now I'm dealing with the malfunctioning fuel enrichment thingie. Simply put, it doesn't work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts