Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'Day Guys.

Life has'nt let me get on here much at present but one of our regular members, Jarhead took a bad fall as you all know.

He is a mate of mine, even though we are opposite ends of the globe we keep in touch regularly and I have to say he is one tough boy for all he has been through, and has had to drag himself into work when he can, put a smile on for his kids and keep life running as usual even though it kills him to laugh or cough and he has taken a fair bit of bark (skin) off from the road rash.

I just heard personally from him this morning and thought I'd let you guys know he is battling through. No doubt he'll come back like a boomerang when he's right.

·
Registered
821 Posts
He's a tough Marine. He'll pull through in no time.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
We will all say a little motorcycle prayer for Jarhead. He will be back in the saddle in no time. Heck he has all winter to heal up.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
He's a tough Marine. He'll pull through in no time.
Sort of what I was gonna say. Ol Jarhead, is a Jarhead always, those folks are special for sure! The accident and aftermath would likely done in a regular guy. Got faith our Marine will be back when he can:cool: And he will:D Give a special thought to our friend.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Semper Fi Jar Head, hope your back on your feet and back on two wheels asap.

mk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hope you're doing better?

Hey, I forgot to ask if this was the same bike you were working on earlier this past summer? We kinda know how you did, but how did the bike come out of all of this? I'm sure you could care less about the bike right now? That can be replaced. You can't!

Just glad you're still here with the rest of us. Certainly would be a lonely place without people like yourself! Good people are hard to find.

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery for 2012. A New Year's Wish for you. May Peace, Harmony and new found riches come your way this new year!

God Bless

·
Registered
545 Posts
What's the latest on Jarhead, anybody heard? Wondering how our boy is getting along.

Broken ribs are a bear, man.....EVERYTHING hurts!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
What's the latest on Jarhead, anybody heard? Wondering how our boy is getting along.

Broken ribs are a bear, man.....EVERYTHING hurts!
G'Day Paddy, spoke to him privately a while back, he is doing well and like you said the broken/detached ribs are taking a while to heal but he's getting there. I had two busted ribs once and I couldn't laugh, cry, fart or sneeze without it killing me and mine were only fractured.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Thanks Aussie. I had much the same experience myself, and now protect the ribs at all costs.

Praying he gets back to being Jarhead as soon as possible....

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Aussie. I had much the same experience myself, and now protect the ribs at all costs.

No worries Paddy, he is a tough old stick and I'm looking forward to seeing him back on the forum too.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Best wishes and prayers are goin' out to you jarhead. Get well soon.

·
Registered
239 Posts
My prayers for a speedy recovery are with you Jarhead. It may seem odd at this point in time but let me wish you a Happy and Healthy New Year.

:)

·
Registered
61 Posts

I broke 3 ribs on my left side when I had a heavy Yamaha Venture come over on me. As I lay down that night to try and go to sleep, I could feel my ribs moving around. Forget about rolling over on either side. That was completely out of the picture. After three days of sheer torment I finally went to the emergency room.

I knew before going there they couldn't do anything for me except to feed me pain meds. Which I didn't use! The bad thing as you already know, and poor Jarhead is finding out, you just have to tough it out until they heal!

All I can say is Jarhead, we know what you're going through. Ever so gently hug and kiss your Family. They are in this with you. Besides, the smiles of the little ones always make the healing go that much faster. Our Families are ultimately why we're here.

Get better soon! God Bless......

Silverstreek

·
Registered
545 Posts
streek......

Yep, I'll never forget my cracked ribs, especially waking up the next morning and stretching. CRACK! Never forget that pain.

Like you, I decided the medical profession would just wrap me in an Ace bandage, so I did that myself. In retrespect, that was the exact wrong thing to do.

Pete Conrad was an astronaut....tough as nails.....walked on the moon. When he went down on his bike, he thought he was fine. His friends persuaded him to get checked out anyway. He walked into the hospital laughing and joking. He never walked out. He died of internal bleeding.

Always best to make sure.......

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
streek......
Pete Conrad was an astronaut....tough as nails.....walked on the moon. When he went down on his bike, he thought he was fine. His friends persuaded him to get checked out anyway. He walked into the hospital laughing and joking. He never walked out. He died of internal bleeding.

Yep, Paddy. ALWAYS better to check it out! Life is too short now to die before need be:eek: Ride Safe.

·
Registered
61 Posts
streek......

Yep, I'll never forget my cracked ribs, especially waking up the next morning and stretching. CRACK! Never forget that pain.

Like you, I decided the medical profession would just wrap me in an Ace bandage, so I did that myself. In retrespect, that was the exact wrong thing to do.

One thing about your ribs I never knew until after my run in with the ground:eek:. The human body relys on the ribs in order to breathe properly. As your lungs pull air in to breathe, the ribs actually flex outward and act like a spring helping the lung to push the spent air out of them.

When we break one or more ribs, the lungs aren't able to function properly by getting the spent air out because the patient is in immense pain when they breathe, hence causing the person to become weak due to the fact not enough oxygen into the blood. This pain also leads to the patient not wanting to move around, which also causes fluid to build up in the lungs which can cause pneumonia. Does it ever end? One thing leads to another!

I was stupid when I didn't go to the Docotr as soon as I broke my ribs. I thought because I was tough and figured if I saw blood when I spit, then I might go see them? I didn't even think of these ribs puncturing the lung or some other organ causing internal bleeding, something I wouldn't see until it was too late.

Because of remembering this like it happened yesterday, I feel for Jarhead as the rest of you do. I thank God because he is still with us. We think we're tough until we find out just how ignorant we (speaking of myself) can be when we ignore the body telling us when something is wrong.

I lost my best friend a decade ago because of a blood clot. It broke loose several months after his initial accident and killed him in front of his wife and two small sons. Yes, we are tough! But thinking about my buddy who passed away, and our friend Jarhead, because we just don't know how fragile we actually are.

If anyone reading this ever has any type of accident they think they can tough out? Please do the right thing and at least have a series of X-Rays done. If not for you, do this for your loved ones. Afterall, they are the one's left here suffering.

Wishing a speedy recovery for our friend Jarhead. And here is a thumbs up for your Family who helps you each and every day, more than you'll ever know!

God Bless,

Silverstreek

·
Registered
199 Posts
Please send him my well wishes. I have been off here for awhile and this is the first I am hearing. I am sending thoughts and prayers to his family and his speedy recovery!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Jarheads status as of today !

Hey Guys and Gals, I just got off the phone with our buddy Jarhead.
He's in good physical shape, some pains he's dealing with, he's mostly bummed about not having a scooter to ride. He' coping with it. And he's on the lookout for a replacement scoot. He says he does get on here once in awhile, but I think he's feeling the pain without a bike. He'll return soon.
He's back at work and making due with what he does have.

Regards.

Duane, Retired Squid in Maryland.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts