Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many of you caught Jay's 'last' show? Brett Favre wonders if he's going to come back again.

i haven't hardly watched Jay since the 90s, but did see his first 'last' show and his most recent 'last' show because they are moments in TV and American culture history. ANYWAY.........anyone else notice that it was just plain weird? i can't count all the weirdness, but i'll try:

1)why is Jay giving a standard monologue? should have skipped that altogether
2)why is Billy Crystal telling Jay a heartfelt message, but looking away from Jay and several yards in front of him? why not say all that in the chair next to him while looking at him and facing him? the message was to Jay, not to the rest of us
3)were all the guests during the Von Trapp song personal friends of Jay? Kim Kardashian??? i don't see how they were all connected, but was dumbfounded at Kim Kardashian showing up
4)was surprised that Kevin Eubanks didn't have a taped or live satelite/skype message/goodbye
5)why was Garth Brooks wearing a hat that read "Garth Brooks World Tour"? is there any musician who is less in need of self promotion?
6)when Garth stopped singing to allow audience participation for Friends In Low Places, it was the weakest and most pitiful participation i've ever seen. you could barely hear anyone singing. and if you thought it was just poor audio, when the camera panned over the audience you could visibly tell hardly anyone was actually singing. pitiful.

but all that aside, i think Jay's farewell message at the end was classy and sincere and give him props for quoting Carson in his final words.

·
Super Moderator
13,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
don't want this to get into a whole Jay/Conan thing, but i do just want to say that i think a lot of the negativity towards Jay is misdirected and should be aimed more towards the NBC execs who orchestrated the whole thing. people can dislike Jay for what happened, but it seems like he gets 90% of the hate and only 10%, if any, is going towards NBC. it should be a lot more balanced than that, or the majority should be directed at NBC rather than Jay. and everyone forgets that Conan could have kept his job if he had agreed to move the Tonight Show to a later time slot. i think most would agree with his decision to leave/get fired in order to retain the integrity of the show, but it's just more reason to hate Jay a little less.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I don't know man. I like watching Jay when he's talking about his cars and stuff, but the whole Conan thing just chaps my hide. I could be wrong, and I probably am, but he was done and gone. Coming back to his old show shouldn't have been an option for him. If they had a beef with Conan, fine. But they should have taken care of it some other way.

Either way, he did have a good run and I hope he enjoys his retirement for real this time.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
As I heard it in interviews with Jay - NBC forced him off the show and gave it to Conan and then begged Jay to come back when ratings dropped. Personally, I don't watch late nite so I don't care - but all that I've seen/read indicates Jay got the shaft, not Conan on that deal.

Garth Brooks is touring again for the first time in maybe 10 or 15 years - he's been in Vegas doing a standing show there. I Love him. But I can't see a NY late night audience getting into that...not sure what they were thinking.

Why do the Kardashian's do anything? Publicity. I was under the impression from the clip I heard this morning they were all famous people who have been on the show. Not much more than that, but the clip I heard was funny.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Jay did a good job, but NOBODY will ever come close to Johnny.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Conan O'Brien's tribute:

The Olympics start airing tonight on NBC. It’s very cool. That’s right, NBC has the Olympics. It’s a big deal. NBC will finally get to show somebody who is OK with passing the torch.

I allowed myself one, but it was a good one.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
don't want this to get into a whole Jay/Conan thing, but i do just want to say that i think a lot of the negativity towards Jay is misdirected and should be aimed more towards the NBC execs who orchestrated the whole thing. people can dislike Jay for what happened, but it seems like he gets 90% of the hate and only 10%, if any, is going towards NBC. it should be a lot more balanced than that, or the majority should be directed at NBC rather than Jay. and everyone forgets that Conan could have kept his job if he had agreed to move the Tonight Show to a later time slot. i think most would agree with his decision to leave/get fired in order to retain the integrity of the show, but it's just more reason to hate Jay a little less.
So very true, good post bevo. It hits right on facts. Hate to see Jay go:(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts