Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i just got the bike a few weeks ago but im looking to clean the carbs and figured while i have it apart i may as well try to squeeze a few more HP out of it. My bike is completely stock with the exception of a K&N air filter. Im looking for someone to suggest a good jet kit to get a little more power from the engine. I have seen kits from $13 to $150. Im really not sure what to get. Im used to sport bike engines and i really would like some input from the community. I hear the stock main needles are best for these bikes but alot of people want to use 115 needles on the front cylinder and the 112.5 moved to the rear. Again just looking for input here. Im in middle TN for elevation estimates if anyone wants to know.

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
12,126 Posts
Get new gasket, actually an oring. I normally but something link this, use gaskets, orings and screws, then throw rest in junk pile. Never had issues with the cost effective gaskets.

2 Sets for Yamaha V-Star 1100 XVS1100 1999-2009 Carburetor Repair Kit Air Screw | eBay

Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number

Then pick one 117.5 jet. Most Yamaha dealers won't have them, most Harley dealers will. Many places to order. I use Dennis Kirk, I'll add some oil filters or something else I need to get free shipping.

Circuit component Rectangle Font Electronic component Amber

Put the 117.5 in front and move that 115 to rear. I ran the exact setup as you for a while before I got pods and full exhaust and was happy with it. Plugs had good color on them

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've heard it was a 112.5 on front stock? So your saying I should jump from 112.5 to 117.5 on front and stick a 115 on rear? Also, should I mess with the idle jet? And I was thinking to start with 3 turns out on the a/f screw.

That eBay kit looks like its maybe stock? I don't see any details on it. I guess just use that for gaskets and screws. Sounds good.

So forgive my ignorance here but does these carbs have a high and low screw or is it just an a/f screw? It's been a while since I have had anything carbureted, and the last one had three screws.

Thanks guys!

·
12,126 Posts
Nick, you are right. I looked up wrong one. No excuse but we have a major storm coming and I'm posting this between phone call with work trying to get my drivers off the road, I have 8 drivers out on runs right now. Expecting 10 plus inches of rain and 70 mph plus winds tonight. But my set up before pods with K&N filter was 117.5 front and 115 rear. Everyone told me it would be too rich, but worked great. It pulled hard, good color on plugs. My PSM screws were only out about 1.5 turns. No two bikes are the same but worked for me. I started at 115 and 112.5, didn't get enough color on plugs for me. Went up one jet and made it right for me.

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic

·
12,126 Posts
sorry to correct you, but didn't want anybody ordering the wrong part. for color i usually just turn the screws out a little for color. hard work builds character.
No problem and was right to do so. My bikes have always run better for me with slightly larger mains and keeping PMS screws turned in. Went the bigger pilot and messed with shims a lot. Never got better throttle response or drivability than bigger jets, in on PSM and everything else stock. But everyone has to remember, these setting are only starting points. Each bike is a little different and no one setting works for all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
OK cool. So rather than 3 turns out i should start at 1.5. Whats the syncing process with these? Is there a good youtube video or something i can follow?

Also, so is the 117.5 jets above the wrong ones? Im about to start adding stuff to a cart :)

·
12,126 Posts
Here's the correct ones and best price that are currently in stock.

Product Font Line Wood Screenshot

Sync process is the same. Good link to sync process.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool, ok, so is this the correct 115?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts