Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to rejet the carbs since the previews owner didnt...i want to buy the parts separately instead of buyin the kit...with the set up i have, what parts would I need? What size jets?.. any info is apreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I'm not 100% sure what you have, if it's just exhaust and a K&N filter I'd follow the jetting for a Hyper charger....basically 125 Mikuni mains and a shim on each needle. That'll get you close.....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not 100% sure what you have, if it's just exhaust and a K&N filter I'd follow the jetting for a Hyper charger....basically 125 Mikuni mains and a shim on each needle. That'll get you close.....

125 on both carbs.?...:confused:What about pilot jets?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
You can go 1 size smaller on the rear cylinder if you want.....but I really don't think it makes that much difference if you're not using the stock exhaust.

There should be no need to change the pilots.

What exactly do the instructions for the intake say? I'd use that info if it's available. I'm just giving you what other guys have used with what appears to be a similar intake. Like I said, I'm not 100% sure what it is that you have on there. I've seen dozens of those cone style set ups over the years from lots of different manufacturers and I have no idea if they are all the same. If it was mine, I'd guess a little to the rich side...which is what I did with the jet size I gave you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can go 1 size smaller on the rear cylinder if you want.....but I really don't think it makes that much difference if you're not using the stock exhaust.

What exactly do the instructions for the intake say? I'd use that info if it's available. I'm just giving you what other guys have used with what appears to be a similar intake. Like I said, I'm not 100% sure what it is that you have on there. I've seen dozens of those cone style set ups over the years from lots of different manufacturers and I have no idea if they are all the same. If it was mine, I'd guess a little to the rich side...which is what I did with the jet size I gave you.

Bad part is I cant seem to find any info on the type of air filter I have...seems like they dont sell or make cone filter set ups anymore....and its a K&N....the only ones I find are the pods....im just gonna pull the carbs and see what i have then probably run a 117.5 front and 115 rear

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
You can try that, but I'd think you'll be at least a couple steps too small. Those would work great if you just added pipes to a stock intake. With that intake and air being forced through a far more open filter I think I'd opt to be a tad richer on the mains rather than too lean. But you can certainly give it a try.....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can try that, but I'd think you'll be at least a couple steps too small. Those would work great if you just added pipes to a stock intake. With that intake and air being forced through a far more open filter I think I'd opt to be a tad richer on the mains rather than too lean. But you can certainly give it a try.....[/QUy

youre right , that cone filter does suck alot of air, ill try the 125's... today as I was riding down the canyons, as I was cruising down and barely opened the throttle , i felt a little surge.... which jets are in charge of that?.. if im not mistaken the pilot jets are in charge of 1/4 to 3/4 of throttle right?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Pilots are mostly used up to about a little over 1/4 throttle. The needles take over then and up to about 3/4 throttle. You're probably a little too lean on the needles, which is why I suggested putting in 1 shim.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pilots are mostly used up to about a little over 1/4 throttle. The needles take over then and up to about 3/4 throttle. You're probably a little too lean on the needles, which is why I suggested putting in 1 shim.

Holy hell, i just pulled out the carbs, the last owner did a number on it.... a bunch of screws were stripped, i had to work miracles to get them off, now I gotta order new screws too:eek::(... it was running on 112.5 jets... No wonder it was running shitty... time to get the big jets in this thing!!!:D:D

·
Registered
342 Posts
You're better off replacing those stripped phillips head screws with allen head type screws. If you have a decent hardware store around, it shouldn't be hard to find replacements.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I absolutely agree with replacing the bowl screws....they are pretty much a one time use deal. You need M4-.7 pitch 8mm or 10mm long socket head screws. Like mentioned above, your local Ace should have them. That's where I get mine.

Thanks for bringing that up....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

It was running 17.5 pilots , got one size up on those, got the 20's, and got the 125 mains... is that a good combo?..... they didnt have shims for the needle, where else could I get the shims?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

if you increase the pilots without increasing the air intake you will be to rich it wont run right

the air intake is increased quite substantially , which is why im installing bigger jets... I have straight cobra pipes plus a cone filter K&N

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
my bad i thought you had similar to a hypercharger.what kind of intake? is it similar to pods?
I posted a photo of it at the beginning of this thread.... im not exactly sure what type it is, but the filter itself is K&N, the set up is some type of aftermarket... previous owner didnt have a clue what it was..thats why im kinda shootin in the dark :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I'm with Nick, I'd leave the pilots at 17.5. If you had pods...possibly 20's...but a lot of guys with pods are reporting 17.5's to be working well even at sea level.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts