Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I said I'd post up when we finish, and we're almost there.

So I figured I'd post a little history, and some in progress stuff, it will take a little to get caught up, but bear with me, it was a really involved build.

I bought a new V-star 1100 in June of 2000. Its been there for every special event in the last 14 years, but about 7 years ago I had to park it for family reasons, and last year fathers day, me and my kids decided it was time to build it up exactly how I wanted. The plan was a quick hardtail, some new tins, and redo a few things that I've learned to do much better.

This is the earliest pic I can find of it.

Progressed through a few minor builds, as it got lighter changed a lot.

This was how I dug it out of storage.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I always hear that........."I figured it would just be a slapped together rat bike and cant believe what it turned into."..................

So I'll post a quick, "Heres where I am now" pic,

Do you guys want to see how it all came together? Or should I just skim through?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Lookin Good Man!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Take us on the full road trip and don't cut any corners.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good guys.......I'll try not to post it all at once, theres a ton of stuff to get through, s if you want more that I might leave out, just let me know.........

Started Fathers day last year......My kids did most of the work.

Once they got to here, we evaluated what I REALLY wanted.

I made my first rendering, so I had a game plan, since Iwas already well beyond the plan, and we got cutting.

Started here.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got way more pictures than I'll post, some are just major duplicates, differant angles, so hopefully I dont leave out much.

Didnt take very long to get here.

So I tweaked the rendering a little.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Slapped the motor in

The front end and tins have been through a few formations over the last year before I finally settled, so some of these pics are just going to be of the process.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some ideas I like, some I gave up on for form or function reasons......

Did play with a ton of ideas for exhaust and controls though

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We built some foot controls, and then my oldest daughter got very involved, and made her first project on the lathe. Exhaust tips.

Did all the cleanup and finish work on the tank and fender,

Next up was a place to put my fancy new tips.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well lets see. Around that time we made an external Oil filter adapter. Theres a thread on the board here about it. We also whipped up a side mount intake.

And some filters.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tooled a couple seats

My kid turned some grips on the lathe, and we cut down a shell for a mirror housing.
The grips get swapped later when I build an internal throttle.......

And apparently I had sent an email to the horse? Was cool to see it in the backtalk section anyways.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After that everything changed a little. I had thrown my name into the hat for "the Greasy Dozen" put on by Old Bike Barm
www.thegreasydozen.com

The concept was awesome. An anti-buildoff focusing on grass roots motorcycle builders. He got a group of like minded sponsors involved, and after 1 of the 12 went AWOL, I was lucky enough to get a spot.

So since part of my commitment was to try to bring attention to grassroots building, and back to the way things where, me and the kids sat down, and stared at the bike for a while............And decided that the parts I hadnt made completely from scratch wherent good enough. So then the real work began.

New tank.

And a baddass gas cap modelled after some stuff we saw online.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The I got to the rear. I hated the rear spoke wheel. Couldnt find a aluminum rear local. So I came up with a new plan. Steel honda civic wheel.

Then I machined a hub.

And since I was already this far..........205/70r15.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It needed a brake though, and I like the naked look on the right side, so after a ton of head scratch, drew up a perimeter brake around the rear diff.

Decided that the rear fender wasnt quite right, so I let my daughter at it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My boy and I made a new sissy bar, and we started on the taillight.

And my daughter grabbed another hunk of aluminum and remade some velocity stacks to replace the plastic ones.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Made an internal throttle.

Peg mounts and redid the rear fender mounts

Rear axle randomly broke so I machined a new one from 4140.

And then machined a new side cover for the clutch lever to run my foot clutch. Rides on a bushing to prevent side loading the shaft, its a real slick setup if I do say so myself.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Machined some new carb tops......Since they where front and center, the plastic sucked. Painted the motor and carved the carb tops.

Machined the one banjo bolt for the oil line to take a 1/8 npt fitting for an oil pressure gauge too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its not as heavy as it looks.........

And my boy wants to be like me.

Tore my front wheel apart and stripped several layers of paint, polished the hub and rim, and painted the spokes.

And polished up my heat shield.

And then the fun stuff.

Flake

Root beer candy

Some color

And so many layers of clear.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts