Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a salvaged bike. connected on with the guy on messenger and he hardly knows.Besides, its totally customized with no emblem

·
Registered
81 Posts
V star 1100Classic(maybe 650)disc brakes on rear 1100 , drum 650.
1999-2011 ? Run the VIN and get some info

·
1,752 Posts
I noticed that this is both your first posts. If you post in the Introduction Thread we could get to know you a little better.

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
ditto on the rear drum brakes = 650
rear disk brake = 1100

the two look almost identical

also the 650 rear fender bracket goes all the way to the frame
on the 1100 its only a few inches long

but the saddle bag is hiding the rear brake and the fender bracket

it looks like a 650 Classic, maybe a Silverado (windshield, bags, running lights...) factory loaded version

if it was the original paint the early 1999-2002... bikes had black and red tanks

those are solid red - but could have been repainted

the names Custom and Classic suck - how can a factory bike be called "Custom"

and how does writing "classic" on the fender make it a classic bike when its brand new?

let us know what you find

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
... its totally customized with no emblem
To be clear, Yamaha called one version of this bike "Custom"

and that is not it - the "custom" model has shorter fenders, the rear fender is chopped off right behind passenger seat

this is definately the "Classic" model because of the full wrap around fenders and the running boards instead of pegs

again: the two model names cause a lot of confusion - people have a fully stock bike and say "its custom"

except for the passing lights and the chrome trim pieces on the ends of the fenders, it looks like a factory stock "Classic" Silverado version... maybe 2004 or later

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Definitely a 650 Classic only one front rotor. It could be a Silverado. Looking at the studs on the seats and the bags. But it doesn't have the silverado windshield. Depending on why it is a salvage it looks live a very nice bike

·
Registered
124 Posts
Where is the bike? In some places vehicles listed as "salvage" can not be put back on the road.
a salvaged bike. connected on with the guy on messenger and he hardly knows.Besides, its totally customized with no emblem
This isn't an issue in some places but here in Ontario you have to go through some pretty big hoops to get it legal again. Again it may not be a problem where you are.

·
2,503 Posts
Yeah, I hear Ontario makes it nearly impossible to put a salvaged bike back on the road. It's not an issue here in NB. I actually scanned Ontario Kijiji ads when I was looking for a bike to see if I could get a deal good enough to be worth the trip up there. There were a couple that looked good but the repair costs and the cost of going to get it wasn't feasible.

·
Registered
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
300 Posts
Definitely a 650. Not only the single front rotor, but this frame strut attachment is always the give-away for me between the 1100 and the 650.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I did a LOT of research on the VStar 650 and the 1100 trying to decide which one to buy for my bobber project. This one is a 650 Classic.

As for what year this bike is, look for the VIN number (typically stamped on a plate on the neck of the bike)—
The 10th character in the 17-character VIN represents the vehicle model-year.

If the 10th character is a '7' for example your bike is a 2007.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's a 650. Only one front disc.

Yup, definitely a 650, but as you said pretty tough to tell the year. You can narrow it down by the color as certain colors were available certain years

The 3 easy ways to spot a 650 vs an 1100 are
1) single disc front brake
2) drum rear brake
3) Speedometer is much smaller than the 1100

·
2,503 Posts
And the odometer isn’t digital.

·
Registered
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
300 Posts
I am impressed, or surprised, how little interchanges between Star models. Between a 650 and an 1100, which look so much alike at first glance, hardly anything interchanges. Even the Classic versus the Custom models, they changed a heck of a lot of stuff to get what is mostly just cosmetic differences. They don't even share a frame.

Seems like the engineering group that designed the 650 never met or interacted with the 1100 group. Strange way to run a business. Complicated JIT. Considering they are a Japanese company, it's like they never had a Kanban system. Never did Kaizen improvement processes. Commonization of parts is the low hanging fruit to improve your bottom line.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts