Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have seen alotta people say the have a Chilton's, Hayne's, insert junks manual name here. And I would like to say QUIT THROWING MONEY AWAY!! lol...those manuals are junk, and always have been. The only reason they're still in business is because the general public is in the dark. If you're going to work an ANY vehicle you own ALWAYS buy a FSM or factory service manual. They make 'em for everything with an engine. The information in a FSM is worth way more than the 20/30 extra you'll spend compared to the others. I am an ASE certified Master Tech and these are just my opinions. If you can follow simple, detailed instructions and have no mechanical ability you can still strip yer scoot down and put it right back to running order with one of these.

·
Registered
570 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I have seen alotta people say the have a Chilton's, Hayne's, insert junks manual name here. And I would like to say QUIT THROWING MONEY AWAY!! lol...those manuals are junk, and always have been. The only reason they're still in business is because the general public is in the dark. If you're going to work an ANY vehicle you own ALWAYS buy a FSM or factory service manual. They make 'em for everything with an engine. The information in a FSM is worth way more than the 20/30 extra you'll spend compared to the others. I am an ASE certified Master Tech and these are just my opinions. If you can follow simple, detailed instructions and have no mechanical ability you can still strip yer scoot down and put it right back to running order with one of these.
I have always felt any info, anywhere, that can be helpful is a good thing:) No back and forth here at all, I am done on this one, but I wonder about the Romans 10:11 signature:confused: Are you talkin about yourself?:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have always felt any info, anywhere, that can be helpful is a good thing:) No back and forth here at all, I am done on this one, but I wonder about the Romans 10:11 signature:confused: Are you talkin about yourself?:)
On the Romans part I should proofread more...lol. I fixed it. And I was stating my opinion and on Clymers, Hayne's, etc. I just meant that if you are going to buy a book, put your loot to the best use possible and get the best info you can find. This is just from past experience being a mechanic most my life. I figured if ya own the vehicle and do your own wrenching having a FSM is invaluable and the others are decent for basic maintenance, but not much else.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like this http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/100227714-download-yamaha-v-star-1100-xvs1100-xvs11?

I have not yet downloaded it. I bought the Clymers last year, and it's pretty good for the limited work I've done (Clutch adjustment, oil change, removed the front wheel, changed fuel filter).

Do you think this will be more complete?

Can't really beat the price (Unless you could find it for free).
Just as long as they state it's a Factory Service Manual from the actual manufacturer, then it's good. The one to down load on the Yamaha site is over $90, I believe.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I know what your saying you get what you pay for.As for our mc manuals you can save all your money because you can down load the manuals from sites like these. I have the 650,1100 and the liner manuals at my finger tips.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I think the slone services knowledgebase has em online...

I got a Clymers for 20 bucks....For basic work and maintenance it's great

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like this http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/100227714-download-yamaha-v-star-1100-xvs1100-xvs11?

I have not yet downloaded it. I bought the Clymers last year, and it's pretty good for the limited work I've done (Clutch adjustment, oil change, removed the front wheel, changed fuel filter).

Do you think this will be more complete?

Can't really beat the price (Unless you could find it for free).
I downloaded that one last night and it's a real FSM...for only $6.75, compared to Yammies $90+...great find, man!!

·
Registered
570 Posts
^ Thanks! Yeah, a lot more detail than the Clymers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts