Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang .. just bought a cherry '06 1100 VStar Classic. Three questions:

1. At certain speeds, I get a rattle that sounds like a license plate loose, but it's somewhere up front .. maybe around the forks. No vibration .. just an annoying metallic buzz/rattle up front somewhere. I've tried grabbing different areas, but haven't found it.

3. I've only put gas in once, but it was nearly impossible. Even at the absolute slowest flow, gas sprayed out the inlet. I literally spilled 1/2 gallon of gas all over my bike trying to trickle fuel in. There is some filter-y looking thing a few inches into the tank that it seems the fuel goes through that splatters it everywhere. Thoughts?

4. Finally, I've gotten a bit spoiled with my other bike (goldwing) in that I have tremendous wind protection. I've been looking into several fairing manufacturers (Memphis Shades, etc.). Even looked into a full one I install mp3/CD and speakers in. Open to ALL/ANY input as I have no idea. I've noted most 1100 Classics just sport a windshield .. which may be the way to go.

Thanks in advance for any help

·
Super Moderator
6,788 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. Corsair is our resident professional on the 1100s and he will be the best source of info for you. I have one of those filtery looking things I use when I fill up my 950t. They work. Its rubbery, yellow, and they cost around $20. They're all over ebay, amazon, and most local dealerships. Various opinions abound regarding batwings and windshields. I have a tall windshield and lower air deflectors. Vert minimal buffeting. Shop around tho, as prices vary quite a bit. Hope this helps some. Now, how about some pics of your ride?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. I just bought the same bike just over a month ago. Only thing I can give a positive answer to is the refueling thing. I have never experienced your issue but every time I fill up I stick the nozzle all the way in and through the hole in the bottom of the filler neck. Once it clicks off I pull it back and look inside the filler neck while I slowly add fuel until it is even with the bottom of the neck. Never spilt a drop thus far.

My bike has the yami windshield so can't help ya with comparisons.

As far as the rattle I would just go through and check every screw, bolt, and nut on the front of the bike and maybe you can find something loose.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Congratulations on the new bike.

On the buzz from the front end. I chased an aggravating buzz like vibration in the front of my bike. It turned out to be the medallion on my key ring.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. I just bought the same bike just over a month ago. Only thing I can give a positive answer to is the refueling thing. I have never experienced your issue but every time I fill up I stick the nozzle all the way in and through the hole in the bottom of the filler neck. Once it clicks off I pull it back and look inside the filler neck while I slowly add fuel until it is even with the bottom of the neck. Never spilt a drop thus far.

My bike has the yami windshield so can't help ya with comparisons.

As far as the rattle I would just go through and check every screw, bolt, and nut on the front of the bike and maybe you can find something loose.
Yeah. Do that.

As for the rattle, I can't really think of anything common. The brake hoses and all the wiring is held in by metal wire brackets. Maybe just give the whole front end a once over and make sure everything is secure?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northwest Illinois. Glad that you joined us and look forward to hearing about you and ssing pics of your bike. My 1100 has a windshield so I'm no help there. I agree that anything hanging from the key or keys will vibrate at speed. As far as the fuel, I also put the nozzle all the way through the hole in the strainer and then slowly fill it up more after it clicks off. Some of the nozzles are super touchy. Post often and ride safe.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Most common front end rattles are, keys, cables and wires, connections in the headlight bucket.
For the fueling problem find a favorite pump that has more control of flow, and make sure the nozzle is all the way in the hole.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Congrats on your new purchase. I'm sure you'll get a perma grin on your face right quick with this fine machine. Now to your questions. Like Keith said, I think that the filter thingy is an aftermarket addition. If you have no issue with clean fuel, I would just remove it. You do have an inline filter on the bike. Front end rattle, in addition to the above suggestions, have a look at your tins they may have loosened. And finally the wind issue. I have a classic also and started off with a windshield. The windshield did the job of blocking most of the wind but I didn't like the look so I got a Memphis Shades batwing. This was the look I was looking for and depending on the size of windshield you get with it, you get more or less wind. I first got a 7 inch shield but found that I got to much buffeting at highway speeds. I then got a 9 inch one and that cured the buffeting.

Hope this helped a bit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! Pics to come, I promise. The only one I have right now was a quickie with my old GoldWing in the background I took for my dad. I'll take a better one today. Greatly appreciate all the input. Took her for a little spin last night to my daughter's place about 40 miles away. GREAT FUN! GREAT BIKE! All highway. And, indeed, I do need a fairing/windshield. I've ridden all my life behind one, and completely lost the appreciation for a 70 mph wind flailing at me. Congrats to you guys that can ride without one. If I go with the batwing, I'll have to do what you did, Corsair, and start trying windshield sizes. So, with the 9 inch, you are still looking over the windshield, and not through it .. yes? All my bikes had large fairings or windshields that I looked through. Thanks again to all for the input. Will look into the filter thing and find that rattle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK .. "yup" on the filter thingy. I was able to pull it out of the filler hole, and filled up with no incident. thanks, gang. I'm going to go with the memphis shades batwing. Finding them everywhere (ebay, various online places, etc.). going to try to find a local place as I've had issues in the past where the top of the windshield is RIGHT in my line of sight. Had another great ride tonight.

Thinking of adding passing lights .. which would change the fairing. Many choices.

thanks again, gang.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I think the filter you are thing of is a disk welded in the neck that is your full mark. Keth has a rubber funnel, and summer hit it on the mark for you on the fueling.
Passing light's work with MS bat's wing and it will tilt back and forth to give you some up and down movement.
On my 1100 some times the brake pad's will make a buzzing???

·
Registered
31 Posts
I own a 2001 1100 v-star and opted to mount a Harley bat wing fairing on it. I wanted a taller than average windshield so I cut and reused the one that was previously installed on the bike. In the end I was really pleased with the amount of wind deflection it provided me along with the looks. I also mounted a marine grade radio and speakers on the fairing and made a nice ride even better....

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey, i had the same rattle. turns out my horn was loose from the mounting bolt. tightened it up and the noise was gone. good luck on the bike.

·
Registered
85 Posts
For the buzz, check the screws in the bottom side of the gas cap. They were famous for working loose. When I discovered that was where my buzz was coming from, the last screw was about to fall out. It was under warranty, so I made the dealer go fishing for the pieces in the tank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again gang. Some crank hit my Goldwing, and the front end looks fine, but something is WAY wrong/bent. I'll likely part it out. It has a stereo pod with a new marine grade CD/MP3 and nice speakers. I'm going to try to see if that can mount in the MS Batwing (going to order one tomorrow). Thanks again for the tips. Will go on a buzz hunt this weekend. It's ridin great!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts