Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, My wife just picked up a 2000 650 V Star yesterday so I'm here to educate myself on her machine because I know she's going to ask me questions I can't answer.

Cheers

Oh, forgot to mention that I ride a 2008 Suzuki 650 vStrom.

·
Super Moderator
6,407 Posts
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee. How about some pics? We love em here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Looks nice!

I suggest whenever she is not riding on the interstate highways take off the windshield - its a completely different bike naked

and if she is not going to use them, the bike looks great without the passenger seat.

also makes sure she understands about eye-blurring instant headache head buffeting at 70mph+. Without fork deflectors she may get that, and if she doesnt know what it is, you cant ride with your skull in a paint can shaker.

·
Registered
120 Posts
KCW - I've got a 01 V-Star 650 Classic and, you're right about buffeting! (Although I've got a Memphis Shades wind screen.) Will fork deflectors make that much of a difference?

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
yes, if your windshield is tall enough for you, but you are getting buffeting at highways speeds, that is what lowers / fork deflectors are for. It makes a larger pocket of air behind the windshield and throws the air up higher over your helmet.

You will have to adjust the angle of the windshield and deflectors to get the best results. As long as your windshield comes up to the level of your nose, you should be able to tune it in.

It wont be perfect, like riding a goldwing with a full fairing, but it will be better than riding with nothing at 75mph.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well, I feel like I've hijacked the thread but, yes - I get buffeting starting at 50 MPH so, I may look into this. Thanks!

And, Welcome gdrew! I'm a new member (joined today). Sorry to hijack your introduction. :(

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
try leaning your windshield as far forward as it will go on the mounts. It seems counter intuitive, but that throws the air up at a steeper angle, and may be enough to clear your helmet.

Buffeting is a function of windspeed - if you are riding into a 20mph headwind at 50, then the air is hitting you at 70mph.

strong crosswinds will screw it up too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I feel like I've hijacked the thread but, yes - I get buffeting starting at 50 MPH so, I may look into this. Thanks!

And, Welcome gdrew! I'm a new member (joined today). Sorry to hijack your introduction. :(
No apologies required, I'm enjoying the conversation and learning lots too.

Cheers,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

No apologies required, I'm enjoying the conversation and am learning lots too.

Cheers,

·
2,503 Posts
Welcome from Atlantic Canada, gdrew. Lots of avid 650 riders here so you came to the right place to learn about it. Your wife got herself one of the most dependable (and good looking) bikes on the road. Almost as nice as the 1100, but I may be biased...lol.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,462 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a chance and did, thanks! it was fun, now I have to figure out a way to get my wife more into the forum so she can take full advantage of other like minded people and enjoy the wealth of knowledge you people so willingly give away.

The Mrs gdrew isn't home yet from her first solo V-Star ride and it's getting dark. She rode it to work today, brave little sole:smile:

Humm, think I need to get me a Yamaha now too. I had an XS1100 back in 1979 and then took a 38 year break from riding. Truth be told, my wife revived my interest in biking again by taking up the sport about 5 years ago herself.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
If she likes to ride you literally could not have gotten a more reliable motorcycle. Consumer Reports says mid size Vstar cruiser bikes are the most dependable bikes anywhere.

If you like to work on your motorcycle taking the engine apart to fix things, or you like to ride around with your MC in the back of a pickup truck, and hanging around the dealership while they fix it, then you have made a horrible mistake!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts