Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Traded an old, unneeded car for an old, unneeded 2000 V-Star 650 Classic (I have a bunch of motorcycle projects). Figured it would be a good trade, but rather embarrassingly, I didn't know much about V-Star's. Long story short, I was told it was an 1100, and didn't figure out it was a 650 until I ran the VIN looking for a workshop manual. :eek:

I got some cash for the difference, and expected to fix a few things. I've been working hard to return it to stock (cobra drag pipes are just too loud for my tastes). I'll keep the Kuryakyn Twin Velocity intake for now, since the recommended jetting is the same between the cobra pipes and stock pipes.

In addition there are some mods, like risers, that aren't quite safe. Longer cables and brake hoses weren't installed, just run behind the triple tree such that the throttle cables bind at the right lock, and the brake cable goes taught when I bounce hard on the forks. It's cheaper to ebay some stock risers than get extended cables :eek: . I have gotten kind of used to the raised bars tho.

Well I got it through inspection (no small feat in Maryland). I was planning on selling it quick after I get some work done on my 1982 XJ750 Seca. I really wanted to give an 1100 a try, the 650 is just not the same and I think I really like the performance of my old airhead inline fours. But even tho it doesn't HAUL like my Seca, I like it's smooth ride around town, and can't wait to get my wife on the back

I've still got to adjust the PMS and sync the carbs (but it runs well), change the fork oil (maybe seals, can't tell with those covers), and probably do a few other things

·
Registered
56 Posts
Living in Bethesda is your biggest problem. Too bad it wasn't an 1100 - they're great!! 21228 is the place to be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HaHa, well don't take that at face value. Bethesda is my location, not my lifestyle. Lucked out and moved from a great little house in Central Mass to a cheap group house that was between where my wife and I work, and had a garage that I could keep working on my bikes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also, I can't seem to post in the V-Star forum. I really wanted to ask about the final drive alignment that I found here: http://www.650ccnd.com/documents/FinalDrivealignProc.pdf

I followed the instructions, but still get a gap of about 0.14 in to 0.09 in from about the 10 o'clock to 4 o'clock respectfully. I was wondering if anyone knows tolerance on that spec, and where to get shims that are on the order of 0.01 in (hardware store washers are too thick ;) )

·
Registered
923 Posts
Welcome from your neighbor from the northeast. I'm up in Harford County which is NE of Baltimore City. This is an awesome place for information and heck, you might even get a laugh. I have a 1100 and thankfully, I found out that the easiest way is to look at the front wheel. The 650 is a single disk brake, the 1100 has dual.

Good luck and keep the rubber side down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah like I said, I didn't know anything about V-Stars. Now it's obvious, when looking at the brakes, but the bike looks so BIG, with saddle bags and a windshield. I've already had one person ask if it was a 1300. Live and learn

·
Registered
27 Posts
Welcome!! sorry to hear you don't like the Cobra exhausts. I just bought a used Vstar that came with Cobra. I didn't like it at first but grew to like it when I noticed cagers were noticing the bike because of the noise. I've had several compliments on the sound.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts