Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...after a 37 year hiatus I got the urge to buy a motorcycle. The last bike I owned was a 1974 Kawasaki H1. So after about two years of research looking at the various options (dual purpose, sport touring, cruisers, ect.) Got my motorcycle license endorsement then went out and bought a 2011 V Star 950T with 5128 miles on it. I've put 4100 miles on her, but let me tell ya, THANK GOODNESS nothing bad happened that first couple of hundred miles, it was touch and go. Anyway...what really jumps out at me is how much better these current machines are compared to the 70's, the fit & finish, the handling, the comfort, oh and the brakes....how did we manage to stop those beasts ??

·
Super Moderator
6,086 Posts
Welcome to the forum Charger, and for getting back in the saddle. Glad you're enjoying your 950t, I ride an 09' myself. It's true, how did we manage to stop some of the much earlier bikes? Lol. Please share some pics of your ride with us, we love em' here. Glad you joined us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Welcome charger. I just got back into riding myself on an 1100 and I gotta agree that the VStars are comfortable and easy to handle for their size. Love to see some pics too!

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Those of us that managed to brake vintage motorcycles are still around to talk about it....

If you have not ridden in 37 years its great to take a MSF course, things have changed on the road over the years from the perspective of the rider. You will be amazed at what you thought you knew. I sure was.

More than just that, the fatal accident rate for guys our age is really high. The more you know about riding and gear, and the more you perfect your skills the better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes things have changed...dramatically, I took the course to get motorcycle license before I actually purchased the bike, good stuff, I've used everything that was covered on the course out on the road. Something really good has happened, starting 2 days ago this bike started running a whole lot better, I'm attributing it to the fact that it had only been ridden 5000 miles in the 6 years before I bought her. I've already put 4000 on her in 4 months, something that was gummed up in her got ungummed, or maybe I just rode her hard enough she woke up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
True .....how did we stop those relics ?!?!?!...and I know I NEVER used the front brake back in those days. This 950 is a jewel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts