Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go to the gym..a lot. I was there about 3 hours this morning doing leg day..yea, I do leg day. That said, I can barely walk right now.

Ive been working here at the house (I work from home) and finished up about 4:30. Took out the trash, started some towels in the washing machine and went to back my Strat out of the garage for a little ride now that the weather is beautiful.

I am in a tee shirt, gym shorts and flip flops. I open the door, get on the bike, check for neutral and start to walk her back....then bang my left ankle on a roller stool and when I say ankle I mean the knob that sticks out. *$&#&*%*$(#))@($*%*% came flying out and I am sure my neighbors need a bath after hearing all that.

Meanwhile I am dropping my bike. My foot refuses to work, my legs are made of rubber (from the gym) and we are going over.

Luckily I was right at the garage door opening and I planted my left shoulder on the framework. Had I missed it, I might have gotten jammed up between the bike, garage door frame on the ground...

I pushed myself back up right with my shoulder and left arm, got off the bike and danced as my ankle throbbing kept increasing.

As I type this, my ankle looks like a black death, a sure sign that I am getting older and cant take the bumps like I used to.

Moral of the story....check around your bike GOOD before backing up. Loosing a leg while walking a bike is a good way of insuring a future paint job and maybe a new bag.

Permission to laugh as my dumbass granted.

·
Super Moderator
6,403 Posts
I refuse to laugh as I go to the gym as well, and yes I do legs. Now that I'm an old rooster and not a spring chicken, I also had a similar experience, however I fell against the wall as I was backing out my 950t. Fortunately I still had enough upper body strength to upright my bike and move it back where I found it. Another day i said to myself, and remembered what Clint Eastwood said in sudden impact, "A man's gotta know his limitations", and I now understand that even better. Just glad you're no worse for wear.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Ouch!!! I hear you about the look around part. I've made a similar mistake before when stepping in the leaves and dirt I swept up (but failed to pickup because I couldn't immediately find a dustpan). It's amazing how slick dirt is on a hard surface.

·
Registered
417 Posts
No laughing from me.....karma has a way of catching up with a guy. As mentioned before "a man has to know his limitations". Laughing at a learning experience of a fellow biker is a sure way for limitations and karma to "conspire against a man"!

I agee. Keep the area around your motorcycle clear, sweep up the dirt/sand/leaves etc.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I had a similar accident or situation two years ago. I misplaced my bike on a cheap ass Jack or lift and somehow the bike tilted to one side and came off the jack. I caught the bike in time with both hands and arms (I workout too) as I'm struggling to hold the weight of the bike my arms were getting tired & my lower back hurting I just let the bike drop to the ground slowly. As I was wiping away the sweat from my head and face there was very little damage but I was pissed at myself for letting this happen.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
To walk your bike out of a garage into the driveway?
I do as well. Not necessarily my riding boots but a full pair of shoes. Not pointing fingers at you or anything but personally I won't throw a leg over unless I have on good shoes that will grip the floor and support me. Fear of what happened to you is exactly why I do it. Heck I don't even feel comfortable moving it across the yard with shorts on either.
From my experiences in life, not necessarily bike related, it's those tiny moments when I take things for granted and think 'Oh this won't take but a second, I'll be ok" That I always seem to either damage myself or whatever it is I'm working on.

Glad you are ok.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My brother changed his oil in his Harley and didn't tighten the cap on the oil drain pan. I didn't notice the oil that leaked out and as I was backing my bike out the garage I stepped in the oil and my right leg flew up and I almost dropped my bike. I had on my tennis shoes which I don't wear anymore if I have to do anything with my bike. Needless to say my brother isn't allowed to change his oil at my house anymore.

·
Registered
157 Posts
are they made for walking?
They're not bad for walking, but I usually carry some sandals or tennis shoes if we're going to hike very far. It's not the boots but if I take off my riding pants, it looks funny to be wearing shorts and boots ! Maybe I'm just used to it, I wear pretty heavy boots all day everyday at work.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Meh, weak ankles. ;)

A good reminder and I'm sorry for your accident.

·
Registered
69 Posts
No laughing here. Four years ago, I stalled my 805 Volusia in my own driveway while coming home. Since I cared so much for the bike, I kept my leg under it to kept it from getting scratched or dented. HOWEVER, that evil bike did not care for me - and broke both my fibula and tibia in multiple places. I now have a titanium rod from knee to ankle, along with a few screws. (I do not have any loose screws!)

After that, I was forced to sell the evil, uncaring bike and bought the 950T.

Dave

1 - 20 of 32 Posts