Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found this forum after taking delivery of an '06 Roadliner. Might as well be a Strat, as it has all the bells & whistles and then some.:)

I'm a 2001 graduate of MMI Phoenix, & have been working on bikes (and everything else from lawn mowers to chain saws to trucks) for at least 25 years.

Looking forward to riding this new machine & getting to know it. Just waiting for the weather to cooperate. Not much of a cold weather guy - I should've been born in the South. ;)

First up - I need an owners manual so I can find the oil filter & transfer case dipstick. :D

·
Administrator
13,915 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took the census already. But I just voted - what a tough choice there! Those guys did some NICE work! Don't think mine is worthy, but I'll post it up once I get the bike cleaned up & take some pics of my own. The pic in my av was taken by the seller.

I hear ya Bevo - someday I'll relocate down there, but I'm afraid it won't be for several years. :(

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Welcome to the 4M.
What TenTwelve means is, you made a wise choice on a scooter. Moving down south,,,,not so much. I love New England! Hell, we don't even get a winter anymore. :D

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Welcome fellow liner rider. Great choice in scoots.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks HDeater! Love the username. :D

Been dying to get out and ride. We were having 80° days in March when I decided to sell the Harley for the Roadliner. Today it's rain .... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
So what hd did you come off of? We would like to here a comparison when you get some saddle time in the liner.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
There's really no comparison to the bike I had before. Was a '03 Night Train FXSTB, carbureted. More of a "sport" model than a touring model. The 'Liner's suspension is lightyears ahead of the HD, as is the engine, brakes, handling, and many other things. ;) All that garnered from a 12 mile ride on the 'Liner.

About the only thing I dislike about the 'Liner, as a mechanic, is the fuel injection. FI is wonderful .... when it works. When it breaks, it's nothing short of a nightmare. With a carb, I'll take the cold-bloodedness & high altitude richness in exchange for tuneability & the ability to repair it with a simple screwdriver. Although my FI Polaris Sportsman has been solid for the past 7 years, my GM products ... now that's a different story.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Alll..riiight ...

Finally got some time, AND some nice weather (a couple days ago at least ...) to take the 'Liner for a rip, then rid the machine of the nasty fluids that were in there, for some nice Amsoil. 20w-50 for the engine, & some Severe Gear 75w-110 for the transfer case. She's a happy camper! Shifts 200% smoother, and feels like it gained 10 hp.

I've got a whopping 27 miles of saddle time in her so far, ha ha!

Looks like I forgot to add any details on the bike:

It's got a Roadhouse Slip-On, Baron intake kit (no airbox - just individual filters), a Power Commander V (dyno tuned I guess), miles of chrome add-ons, Yamaha Strat bags with locks, Mustang seat with removable rider backrest (BEST invention EVER!!), Yamaha back rest & rack, and a four 5.25" speaker batwing fairing (brand not known at this time) with a Clarion deck. Just picked up a MP3 player, & spent the past 2 days loading it up with tunes.

It's gonna be a great summer ... I can feel it. Already set off a few car alarms in town with it. :D

Snapped some pics in the middle of the fluid change process - that's the explanation for the H/D-like territory markings beneath my steed.

(on a side note, the large 2' diameter stain is from my buddy's '99 Evo puking a quart out the breather... seriously! :p)

And a video (a crappy one anyway - thanks Verizon!):

http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm215/jjs05polaris/?action=view&current=Roadliner-1.mp4

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:) Will do!

Just remembered, I've got to get an inspection sticker for the thing before I get yanked. I always forget that little detail every year ...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yeah, welcome to Taxachusetts ...

Just another of many crafty ways up here to extort money from hard working people. Just like with cars, you need an inspection by a LICENSED motorcycle shop, pay $15 ( cars is $29 ), the go thru the whole bike, and IF you pass, you get a sticker on your plate ( cars get it in lower right hand corner of windshield ).

I had a place fail my Harley & keep my $15 because I had a set of Kuryakyn Panacea LED tail lights & turn signals. So not only is it extortion, but it's a royal pain in the ass as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Welcome. Love the bike. I'd loose the studs on the seats. Does not go with the rest of the bike. Other than that...she's a sweat ride!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Yeah, welcome to Taxachusetts ...

Just another of many crafty ways up here to extort money from hard working people. Just like with cars, you need an inspection by a LICENSED motorcycle shop, pay $15 ( cars is $29 ), the go thru the whole bike, and IF you pass, you get a sticker on your plate ( cars get it in lower right hand corner of windshield ).

I had a place fail my Harley & keep my $15 because I had a set of Kuryakyn Panacea LED tail lights & turn signals. So not only is it extortion, but it's a royal pain in the ass as well.
We have to have the inspection stickers here in VA too, but there's no special requirement for inspecting bikes so any car inspector can take care of it. Makes it easy on bikes since most inspectors either don't know crap about bikes or they are riders themselves and won't give you crap over small things.

On the other hand, my pickup is out of service right now because, of all things, the warning light for the brakes doesn't come on when you first turn the key. Works fine when the hand brake is set so there's nothing wrong with the light itself but it's not getting power when the key is turned so there's a rejection sticker on the windshield.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I hate inspections. Biggest legal racket in history just to generate revenue. :rolleyes:

... ...I'd loose the studs on the seats. ....
Yeah when I first saw the pics, that was the first thought I had. Never liked any of that. But after seeing it in person & riding it they've grown on me.

Put 110 miles on her yesterday. Beautiful day - just like summer. 78°, blue skies all day until the afternoon. Man, that engine throws some HEAT! Was roasting in the city (had to visit in-laws for Mother's Day - otherwise I'd be nowhere near ANY city). Checked cylinders when I got home with the I/R thermometer. Over 250°F on heads with 200° oil. Another reason why I hate F/I. If this was carbed I'd just crank the fuel screw out a turn or 2 to richen her up a tad for idle/cruise ...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts