Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while, and the conversion of my 07 1100 into a bobber has been slow. My negative battery terminal had apparently started to corrode, so I decided to tackle it myself. Looking online, I found the flamewires and they were highly recommended for bikes that were basically stock. Gotta say, I am pretty happy. I haven't had a single start up issue since, and I'll be curious to see when it gets colder out what happens (people claim it's a non-issue). Definitely recommend it to people.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'm with LS650 but just didn't ask. I'm also a little confused as I have never heard of the wire performance being effected by cold. Strength of a battery yes but never the actual wire.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'm with LS650 but just didn't ask. I'm also a little confused as I have never heard of the wire performance being effected by cold. Strength of a battery yes but never the actual wire.
The battery has less instant energy to deliver in the cold. These cables are a lower resistance than stock due to the heavier gauge and type of crimping. It's minimal, IMHO, and the real claim to fame is resistance to cracking and corrosion which do increase resistance over time causing the wire to be a source of hard cranking. This performance is because of air free crimping and more heat resistant insulation. You still need to maintain the ends like any other wire. A brand new OEM wire and this wire side by side will perform equally well. It's over time that this wire shines and replacing a bad wire with this will obviously restore original performance (better, actually, although I doubt you could perceive it compared with new).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts