Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, glad I found you. I bought a 2000 650 VStar about 6 months ago, it's the first bike I've had in 30 years. It ran great the first month, having issues now. That first month got it back in my blood, I gotta ride! So I'm going to need some help. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
6,086 Posts
Welcome to the forum R T from K P from East Tennessee.
Nice to be back in the saddle again, eh? We're glad you joined us and post your issues in the Vstar section. We're blessed to have so many knowledgeable members and im sure you'll find some answers. Post a few pics of your 650 and enjoy the ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Hey, welcome to the forum. I've observed postings from many experienced 650 owners here, so I'm sure you'll have yer bike back in tip top shape again!

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,609 Posts
Welcome from Houston Texas. Ride often and safe. What issues are you having?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome, as for my issues, I'll keep it as short as I can. After riding it for about a month, it just died while riding to work. I put it in the shop (dude had it for 3 months, ridiculous!) anyway, he put a new CDI box, and coil pick ups in it. It seemed to idle a little high, but it ran good for about 2 weeks, then died on the way home from work. I trailered it home and tried to start it, the battery quickly died , I assumed a bad battery, so I replaced it. Still no start. I checked the spark against the block, I got spark, not a fat blue spark, but a orange spark, so I replaced the plugs. No start. Next I assumed fuel issue. Fuel pump clicks when I turn the key on, and fuel is making it to the carbs. Pump should be good. I pulled and cleaned the carbs (they didn't look that bad) also changed fuel and air filters. Still no start. Still no start. I'm no mechanic but I can turn a wrench, as long as I know what to turn. That's where I'm at. Hope the long story didn't overwhelm you. Any input would be great.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Welcome to the forum, R T. Sorry you are experiencing problems just at the brink of riding season, or for you perhaps year round? I'm sure your issues will be addressed and help to solve your problems will be acknowledged from members here. Show us some pictures to show off your ride...Ride safe and enjoy~YammyV

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Welcome RT, from southwestern PA. Congrats on yer new ride. Sorry ya gotta be experiencing the down time. Ya say ya replaced the plugs because of weak spark? Did the spark get better after replacing them? If not, then yer problem is most likely still in the ignition system. May wanna dig a little deeper in there. Just my .02.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts