Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do you wear a bandana or scarf over your face during the warm weather? I notice it more and more and was just curious the reason. Keep down the dust, bugs, block the sun or what? I wear a 1/2 helmet and a neoprene mask for cold weather but never worn one in the warm weather.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am well aware that may be the reason for some people. They wear one simply because they think it presents a certain persona.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Bugs and dust are why I do it when I am in a half shell. Other than that you get a good one it looks evil wicked mean and nasty. :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a neoprene mask that I wear in the cold weather but in the hot weather (Phoenix, AZ) I wear a bandanna or a thin mask for multiple reasons. First, any skin exposed to the sun will cause you to be hotter. The mask/bandanna helps with that. Second, I ride 35 miles to work each way on the expressway and I have to ride through dust, wind, bugs, the occasional pebble, even hay sometimes. The mask helps with all of that (OK, not the pebbles as much) and makes sure I don't end up with a bug in my mouth. Third, I do think it looks good, but that is the least of my reasons. I've ridden without a mask and with one and it's definitely more comfortable with one.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
These kinds of things dont just happen!
People dont walk into a meeting and say "Bugs!" -the movie Big

When I have all my gear on and my full face helmet, if I dont wear a neck sock for the cold then there is about 1 square inch of my neck exposed, right at my Adams Apple.

Can not believe how many bugs hit that 1 square inch target.

BTW, Five years ago when I decided to take the MSF course and get my license and a MC, my plan was to get a black HD Iron, black leather jacket, black helmet.... I knew the look I wanted.

After I took the MSF course I bought a red and silver V star, a red textile jacket, a silver helmet, and never looked back. My boots and gloves are black.

When I want to look cool I can walk around with my boots and gloves :^)

·
Registered
447 Posts
forget that, riding >30min without a jacket and my arms switch for atleast an hour or longer. It was 3hours my arm hairs where twitching after I got off my bike on a 2hour ride.
I normally always wear some kind of jacket, just to keep my clothes from wiping around in the wind, or my collar from slamming into my helmet making all kinds of noise.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
it might help a little with dust and exhaust fumes, i use a felt lined one in the fall, in winter i use it under the shield, to hot to use in summer

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Sorry but I have to point out the irony

of motorcycle riders protecting their faces from bugs and dust

but not from tire chunks, birds, antlers, concrete and asphalt pavement, bumpers and guardrails, curbs, tree branches... while not wearing a full face helmet...

I have spent way more money on my teeth than on motorcycles, and I intend to keep them.

google images: motorcycle helmets after crash

BTW: on labor day I saw a guy riding a HD bagger wearing only a 1/2 helmet, shorts, and sneakers.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey, a guy on a HD with even a half helmet is more than I usually see from those guys. Seems like if you're guaranteed to see someone without a helmet, it'll be on a Harley. Doesn't fit the image I suppose.

The irony certainly isn't lost on me. I will switch to a full helmet in October or November when the day time temperature gets down under 100. Until then I use the half helmet purely for the heat reduction. I know that some of them have venting and such but at 110 degrees and full sun, I can't see with a full helmet on due to the sweat pouring into my eyes.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
I have never understood why people north of the Artic circle do not move south.... way south

and why people that live in the desert do not become totally nocturnal....

The funny part is the Eskimos spend a few months living in the bitter cold and continuous night,

but the desert dwellers are out at noon in the middle of summer....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Here in Phoenix, we do try to stay indoors during the day, at least during the summer. We come outside in the evening, when the shade provides some relief. During the winter months it's really quite nice here. Daily temperatures in the 60s and 70s. If I didn't have to go to work, I'd stay inside all day long!

·
Registered
106 Posts
So Wednesday was my birthday and my wonderful wife got me a Scorpion Covert helmet. I have to say it's a really nice helmet! It's a DOT approved half helmet but there are two clip on attachments that convert it into either a 3/4 or a full helmet. Drop down visor, matte black, and it does look amazing. I guess I don't need the face mask anymore! On my ride to work yesterday it performed excellent. Very little movement in the wind (going 80 or so mph), visibility was good, and the fit was just right. I'd recommend it if you aren't married to a full DOT helmet!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts