Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

K&N Air Filter for 2007 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic

963 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  JMK1000 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I got my bike 2.5 months ago(14 years old, looking and performing like new 2007 yamaha v-star 1100 classic). After the mechanic inspection (when I got it), I replace some replaceable things to be sure when and what was installed and how it looks. Supposedly the las tune-up was half a year (500 miles) before I got it. But, no written records of it - so I do not need to trust it).

Yesterday I replaced the air filter for a new Yamaha filter. I checked the housing, no oil residue, clean). I noticed that the old filter was the YA-199 K&N Replacement Air Filter, which is nicely built and - washable (to last 'forever'). They also sell the cleaner and the oil for the cleaning/oiling of the filter after the wash.

*** So, my questions are:
Do many of the Star 1100 riders use such filters?
Do you wash them, and if so, how? How many times do you re-use them, if at all?
Do they really perform better than the original? (Original filter looks like made of paper, whereas K&N is a cotton gauze - which is better).
And, if you reuse it, how do you oil it (and is it necessary at all)?

I hope that you will address that. I would appreciate if you did.

See less See more
#2 ·
I use a Barons dry filter. Kinda as a rule of thumb oiled filter will get better flow but a little less on the filtering. Dry filter will filter a little better but air flow would be a little less. My dry filter has a life span that is less than the oiled. I can blow it out a few times then will have to replace.

#3 ·
Thanks. I like Baron products. I have already the oil filter relocation kit (great), and I have just bought Baron mixture screws. They will wait until I want to mess with the carb though. How knows when. So far I am pretty happy how it works.
That is the reason I was asking about the filter. I do not want to change the air flow - it would affect the mixture, and do not wan to re-adjust anything now.

#6 ·
When it comes to cleaning a K&N, if you have the K & N Cleaning Solutions , you spray the cleaner on, let it sit for a little bit and then spray it out with hot water. Let it dry overnight. When you oil it, you spray very lightly. You don't want to soak the filter. You want a light coating because if you put too much it will not breathe. If you put too little oil on it it won't filter out fine particulate. Hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.