Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 2005 VStar 1100, ordered a K&N factory replacement air filter. Will I need to rejet or do any other kind of tuning with this?

·
Registered
136 Posts
no, you should be good. once in just make sure your idle is 1000rpm. since you are down there, balancing your carbs is never a bad idea.

·
Registered
458 Posts
what about something that actually gives you more power?

None of the mods you've mentioned really do a thing for the 1100... PODS period and exhaust.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Need to mod the airbox to let that k&n get to work. You could buy a BAK but doing your own is more fun. Either way...open that baby up and let her breathe. Not sure what pipes you have but the a few less baffles are a good thing too.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Need to mod the airbox to let that k&n get to work. You could buy a BAK but doing your own is more fun. Either way...open that baby up and let her breathe. Not sure what pipes you have but the a few less baffles are a good thing too.

Thanx Boob (teehee boob)...BAK? Big air kit? Details please, I'm new to the whole air cooled v-twin thing. Need all the info/education I can get on these things. Stock pipes not sure if they can be modified or not

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
If you are a new 1100 owner...you need to go here and book mark this site.

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home/5-modifications/4-intake-modifications

The best intake upgrade is a Pod set up and you can read about it at the link above. A "Big Air Kit" and drilling holes in the air box will net you next to nothing on an 1100 except an empty wallet. You can spend 1/2 the money and get 3 times the performance increase with pods.

I'd also highly suggest going to the New Owner section and reading everything there word for word. Everything you need to know about the 1100 is on that site. You can also click the link in my signature to get there.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Oh boy are you in for a treat. There's a LOT to learn and the possibilities are sky high on these bikes, especially if you're handy and into diy. Yes bak is big air kit. Usually around $200-400 a kit. Im not the residing 1100 expert but I know the air box can be modded to allow more air in and more power to ur bike. The stock exhaust has baffle plates that can be drilled out to increase flow also. Look around, ask in the 1100 section and you'll get your answers. Lots of fun and much cheaper than buying all the parts etc...unless that's your thing in which case break open the wallet and start buying. Lol. Now FYI you Starr changing both airbox and exhaust and you'll need to rejet your carbs to allow for the diff in air/fuel ratio. But this stuff is childsplay.....happy modding and post often.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you guys for the great info. Sounds promising. I'm very stoked about this bike!!!

·
Registered
426 Posts
If you are a new 1100 owner...you need to go here and book mark this site.

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home/5-modifications/4-intake-modifications

The best intake upgrade is a Pod set up and you can read about it at the link above. A "Big Air Kit" and drilling holes in the air box will net you next to nothing on an 1100 except an empty wallet. You can spend 1/2 the money and get 3 times the performance increase with pods.

I'd also highly suggest going to the New Owner section and reading everything there word for word. Everything you need to know about the 1100 is on that site. You can also click the link in my signature to get there.
So adding holes in a stock air box with high flow filter will do nothing for performance and is expensive mick?

Its free and if done right makes a huge diff so I'm confused on what you mean...

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
In this case specific to the VStar 1100. There is a huge plastic airbox up underneath the fuel tank that is the restriction. This needs to be removed to open up the 1100. Hence the need for PODs or individual K&Ns right off the twin carbs and a rejet.

·
Registered
426 Posts
In this case specific to the VStar 1100. There is a huge plastic airbox up underneath the fuel tank that is the restriction. This needs to be removed to open up the 1100. Hence the need for PODs or individual K&Ns right off the twin carbs and a rejet.
That makes a lil more sense and clears things up. Thanks

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Hey Boob.... looks like FT has you covered. A little more to the story....

The 1100 engine was introduced in the mid 1980's with the Virago 1100 and came stock with about 10 more HP than the same motor in the V Star. The biggest difference being the intake. Once we tossed out all the old intake parts and stuck the filters right n the carbs, we got the 10+ HP back putting the bike into the mid to high 60's range. All for about $150 and an hour of your time. Add cams and you are well into the mid 70's for HP...all for around $400 if you already have pipes.

That little fact makes the 1100 a really fun smaller CC cruiser to play with. At least it has been for me.

By comparison, the Baron's Big Air Kit you mentioned, runs about $300 and gets you about 4-5 HP on a good day. Drilling holes in the air filter housing does nothing for performance on the 1100 because of the way the air box is set up. You just can't push enough air into it. Once you eliminate that.....it makes it a totally different bike to ride.

FT has even gone a little further on the performance stuff.... I'm sure his grin is a little bigger than mine when he twists the throttle....but mine is not far behind....lol.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hey Boob.... looks like FT has you covered. A little more to the story....

The 1100 engine was introduced in the mid 1980's with the Virago 1100 and came stock with about 10 more HP than the same motor in the V Star. The biggest difference being the intake. Once we tossed out all the old intake parts and stuck the filters right n the carbs, we got the 10+ HP back putting the bike into the mid to high 60's range. All for about $150 and an hour of your time. Add cams and you are well into the mid 70's for HP...all for around $400 if you already have pipes.

That little fact makes the 1100 a really fun smaller CC cruiser to play with. At least it has been for me.

By comparison, the Baron's Big Air Kit you mentioned, runs about $300 and gets you about 4-5 HP on a good day. Drilling holes in the air filter housing does nothing for performance on the 1100 because of the way the air box is set up. You just can't push enough air into it. Once you eliminate that.....it makes it a totally different bike to ride.

FT has even gone a little further on the performance stuff.... I'm sure his grin is a little bigger than mine when he twists the throttle....but mine is not far behind....lol.
Nice. I may have been thinking the 1300, whichever is like my 950 with the triangle airbox. I thought I saw before that some were modding the 1100 the same and so on etc... Either way...I said I wasn't the 1100 expert and now I know who to point to when people need tips and help. Thanks for clarifying and also pushing me closer to the 100 as my next bike....was thinking strat too though. Hmmmm????

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Nice. I may have been thinking the 1300, whichever is like my 950 with the triangle airbox. I thought I saw before that some were modding the 1100 the same and so on etc... Either way...I said I wasn't the 1100 expert and now I know who to point to when people need tips and help. Thanks for clarifying and also pushing me closer to the 100 as my next bike....was thinking strat too though. Hmmmm????

LOL...I'm by no means an expert either and cruise these forums checking out the info provided....and try to learn every day.

·
Registered
426 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts