Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it didn't take too long for the wife to find something about my new Stratoliner she didn't like.... the seats.

So after the first real ride on the bike, I searched for replacement seats for the bike and ended up getting the Ultimate 3 piece package. Also added the fold up armrests and passenger floorboards for her heiness. Now she has here own little throne and seems much happier.

I must admit, the Midrider saddle is a huge improvement over the stock seat. So now we are at the $1300 mark for accesories, lets see where it ends.

Now I want a set of pipes. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Congrats on your new liner. Replacing your seat is a great improvement, I replace mine with a Day Long seat and my wife is very happy as well. I put Cobra passenger floorboards and that topped off her comfort. I bought my bike used and it had the competition pipes from Star already on it. They have a nice sound and I have been happy with them.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Explain to her that loud pipes save lives! You could also get her a full face helmet that will help with noise. Oh and a pair of ear plugs.

After that I am out of ideas since his pipes didnt bother me when I was on back and my bike is actually louder then his now. I am a firm beliver in making sure I am seen and heard as much as possible!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Explain to her that loud pipes save lives! You could also get her a full face helmet that will help with noise. Oh and a pair of ear plugs.

After that I am out of ideas since his pipes didnt bother me when I was on back and my bike is actually louder then his now. I am a firm beliver in making sure I am seen and heard as much as possible!
She already has the full face helmet, so that should not be a problem and I agree, to be seen is great, but to be heard is even better.

·
Administrator
13,690 Posts
So now we are at the $1300 mark for accesories, lets see where it ends.
tread lightly. for the rabbit hole knows no bottom.

and loud pipes do not save lives. it's a myth and there's no data to prove it does, but there is a lot of data that suggests no correlation between motorcycle accidents and aftermarket pipes. after all, it's more important and easier to be seen than heard by others on the road.

if you're not wanting something loud that might upset her highness, i would suggest a slip-on. they are not going to be as loud as a full exhaust system. and i recommend going to youtube to get an idea of how the various kinds sound. as far as which one, i think it's mostly about what kind of look you want and what kind of growl you want. some of the popular brands out there are Jardin, Cobra, Vance & Hines, Shogun, Rush, Samson, Bub, and Hard Krome.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the ultimate 3 piece seat also, best thing since sliced bread. Ok, I never had bread that was'nt sliced. I'm a vance&hines fan, both my Strat and Warrior have them. The 2 into 1 on Strat is the sweetest sound, not too loud and plenty of rumble. My Warrior has 2 into 2, much louder but still acceptable. My wife has had the occasional cell phone calls while on the road with no complaints. Oh yeah, don't forget about the improved power of 2 into 1 with no EXUP.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well my loud pipes have saved my butt a few times. So maybe you just need to know how to use them? They are also nice when the guy on the cell phone decides he is the only important person on the road. Then you hit traffic and his window is down and he is still talking with his phone up to his ear. It feels great to pull up next to him and redline it a few times. Then he looks up and I wink at him and show him I still have my trigger finger (not sure who will get that).

Another idea how about getting her an ipod so she can listen to music. I have it for long rides but dont use it much otherwise.

·
Registered
71 Posts
check my signature - nice throaty tone!

·
Registered
396 Posts
exhuast

Well it didn't take too long for the wife to find something about my new Stratoliner she didn't like.... the seats.

So after the first real ride on the bike, I searched for replacement seats for the bike and ended up getting the Ultimate 3 piece package. Also added the fold up armrests and passenger floorboards for her heiness. Now she has here own little throne and seems much happier.

I must admit, the Midrider saddle is a huge improvement over the stock seat. So now we are at the $1300 mark for accesories, lets see where it ends.

Now I want a set of pipes. Any recommendations?
I have the Roadhouse slip-on muffler and i love it. very reasonable at cruising speed yet will let everyone know there is a big block in the crowd when you twist that grip. she can bellow plenty one minute and be totally mellow the next. i got mine off ebay used for 280.00 looked like new to me. got my mustang seat there too. 420.00 for the front seat and the 12" wide pillion seat. normally 720.00 set. you can find some good deals once in a while.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
I guess I'm lucky that my wife seems pretty happy with the strato-s' seating. My butt is just fine with it too. Maybe it's all because we were on a warrior stock seat before the strato up-grade. But I'm looking at exhaust options too. Pricey but really like the looks of true duals and only a couple of builders for them (so far).

Go with the sound level that makes you smile. And don't accept that loud pipes save lives is a myth. If I hear a bike while driving on the highway, I will not change lanes until I know where it is, I can't be the only one with that kind of awareness. Have I started to change lanes and almost play bumper cars with anothe car in my blind spot? Sadly, yes, didn't hear it.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Go with the sound level that makes you smile. And don't accept that loud pipes save lives is a myth. If I hear a bike while driving on the highway, I will not change lanes until I know where it is, I can't be the only one with that kind of awareness. Have I started to change lanes and almost play bumper cars with anothe car in my blind spot? Sadly, yes, didn't hear it.
Sometimes I wonder if the ear piercin,tooth rattlin, brain jarrin pipes is not so much for safety than "look at me! ain't I cool!! ":rolleyes:
Ride Safe folks, noiseless or loud:cool:

·
Registered
29 Posts
tread lightly. for the rabbit hole knows no bottom.

and loud pipes do not save lives. it's a myth and there's no data to prove it does, but there is a lot of data that suggests no correlation between motorcycle accidents and aftermarket pipes. after all, it's more important and easier to be seen than heard by others on the road.

if you're not wanting something loud that might upset her highness, i would suggest a slip-on. they are not going to be as loud as a full exhaust system. and i recommend going to youtube to get an idea of how the various kinds sound. as far as which one, i think it's mostly about what kind of look you want and what kind of growl you want. some of the popular brands out there are Jardin, Cobra, Vance & Hines, Shogun, Rush, Samson, Bub, and Hard Krome.
Very true, loud pipes don`t save lives but they do risk rights. The AMA has been trying to educate the " Look at ME!" crowd for years but thewy won`t listen.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well my loud pipes have saved my butt a few times. So maybe you just need to know how to use them? They are also nice when the guy on the cell phone decides he is the only important person on the road. Then you hit traffic and his window is down and he is still talking with his phone up to his ear. It feels great to pull up next to him and redline it a few times. Then he looks up and I wink at him and show him I still have my trigger finger (not sure who will get that).

Another idea how about getting her an ipod so she can listen to music. I have it for long rides but dont use it much otherwise.
Defensive riding will keep you out of those situations.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if the ear piercin,tooth rattlin, brain jarrin pipes is not so much for safety than "look at me! ain't I cool!! ":rolleyes:
Ride Safe folks, noiseless or loud:cool:
Well Bear, It shall be a debated subject till the day everything is powerd by other means besides the internal combustion engine. I suppose it will remain that way because neither side can prove the other is wrong. Of course there is no data where cage drivers were stopped and asked "did you hear a motorcycle while on the highway today". I'm not a firm believer either way myself so agruments both ways don't offend me. For me, I wish I could easily increase my dB level when I get on the highway and hush the hell out of it when I'm on the exit ramp.

The human body has a pretty good arsenal of senses with speed of light deliveries to the brain, hearing being one of them, it can't be discounted as useless while driving (in most people :D).

While sipping my first cup-o-joe this morning I started making a list in my mind about noises that get one's attention and undisputedly have saved lives. Here's some of them.
rattlesnake's tail
smoke alarms
truck back up signals
tsunami alert system
fog horns
wife's heavy sigh (but must be accompanied by "the" facial expression)

Okay the last one might be a stretch. :D

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
The human body has a pretty good arsenal of senses with speed of light deliveries to the brain, hearing being one of them, it can't be discounted as useless while driving (in most people :D).

While sipping my first cup-o-joe this morning I started making a list in my mind about noises that get one's attention and undisputedly have saved lives. Here's some of them.
rattlesnake's tail
smoke alarms
truck back up signals
tsunami alert system
fog horns
wife's heavy sigh (but must be accompanied by "the" facial expression)

Okay the last one might be a stretch. :D

Pretty fine list, I must say. :D:D;)

·
Administrator
13,690 Posts
I suppose it will remain that way because neither side can prove the other is wrong. Of course there is no data where cage drivers were stopped and asked "did you hear a motorcycle while on the highway today".
i was doing research on this topic about a year ago and found a Michigan study that analyzed several thousand motorcycle accidents involving other motorists. the most common denominator between the car drivers was they didn't see the motorcycle. the study found that a large percentage of the motorcycles had after market exhausts or non-factory modifications to the exhaust system. they determined that the percentage was in line with the percentage of all motorcycles that have aftermarket exhaust or modifications. therefore, they determined no connection with pipes either preventing or being a factor in accidents with other drivers.

interesting study and while it doesn't 'prove' anything, it's the most factual data i've seen on the topic. and though it doesn't suggest that pipes were a factor in causing any accidents, i think you can conclude the data suggests that aftermarket exhausts didn't actually 'save' anyone or prevent anything in the accidents studied. that they basically had no bearing in the accidents.

but the $64,000 question here is 'how can you prove a near-accident was or wasn't prevented because a driver suddenly heard the biker's aftermarket pipes?' you can't, and so the debate will continue. i'm going to open up a thread on this topic to get this stirring again. but here's where to find the study:

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123--135253--,00.html

·
Registered
396 Posts
Start a new thread.

i was doing research on this topic about a year ago and found a Michigan study that analyzed several thousand motorcycle accidents involving other motorists. the most common denominator between the car drivers was they didn't see the motorcycle. the study found that a large percentage of the motorcycles had after market exhausts or non-factory modifications to the exhaust system. they determined that the percentage was in line with the percentage of all motorcycles that have aftermarket exhaust or modifications. therefore, they determined no connection with pipes either preventing or being a factor in accidents with other drivers.

interesting study and while it doesn't 'prove' anything, it's the most factual data i've seen on the topic. and though it doesn't suggest that pipes were a factor in causing any accidents, i think you can conclude the data suggests that aftermarket exhausts didn't actually 'save' anyone or prevent anything in the accidents studied. that they basically had no bearing in the accidents.

but the $64,000 question here is 'how can you prove a near-accident was or wasn't prevented because a driver suddenly heard the biker's aftermarket pipes?' you can't, and so the debate will continue. i'm going to open up a thread on this topic to get this stirring again. but here's where to find the study:

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123--135253--,00.html
Good idea to start a new thread as this has gotten off topic. i can say that the study could be defective. if they polled poeple that had an accident then the accident happened regardless of everything. the problem is they didnt interview the people that DIDN'T get run over because the car hear them at the last minute. i know for a fact my loud pipes saved me. car switching lanes and i was trapped. revved it up and the car heard me and jerked back into their lane. yes loud pipe saved my life, or kept me from skidding down the asphalt on my face. i think the study is flawed because they only asked the people that were in a accident not the people that were saved by loud exhaust and hence were not in an accident. see how the results can be skewed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well said, I do agree that the combination of my pipes and my air horn has saved me more times than I can count. I have had some close calls from cars pulling out from parking spaces where a rev and a blast of the horn stopped them before I got clipped. We all love those texting idiots that drift into our lanes, give a dirty look as they roll up their window and correct their paths. LOUD PIPES WIN AGAIN!!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you think you want louder pipes, you do. Whether they save lives or not, and whether the neighbors like them or not haha... I have the speedstars on mine, and would like them a bit louder. Might change out the HUGE baffles out for shorter ones. She complained about the pipes being loud, but I bought a pack of earplugs for next time. I rode 1200+ miles round trip a few months ago, and the pipes didn't bother me at all, but for trips like that I use earplugs.

BTW: You can skew statistics however you like to prove your point, so it's hard to judge who is right. There are plenty of other things we do to our bikes that don't need to be justified by it saving lives, so just get your louder pipes and be happy!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts