Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever rode down to key west? My dad and I are thinking about heading down there this summer from NC. Gonna do about 450-500 miles per day so that it will only take two days to get down there. What are some of the best motorcycle roads going through Florida? We are debating on whether to get on US 1 at Jacksonville or not. We cant decide if the traffic would be worth the view.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Anyone ever rode down to key west? My dad and I are thinking about heading down there this summer from NC. Gonna do about 450-500 miles per day so that it will only take two days to get down there. What are some of the best motorcycle roads going through Florida? We are debating on whether to get on US 1 at Jacksonville or not. We cant decide if the traffic would be worth the view.
Some of our club members did that a few months ago. Let me ask them what route they took.

·
Registered
909 Posts
There's not much riding in Key West... you take RT1 into The Keys and that's about it as far as having fun on motorized two wheels is concerned. The rest of Key West is better explored on a bicycle if not a kayak. I've spent weekends in Key West paddling from mangrove to mangrove just swimming and watching sea turtles, rays and sharks. The water depths tend to be less than 10 feet for miles... suddenly you'll hit an area with an underwater 'valley' where water depth suddenly drop to hundreds of feet and you'll see 20ft sharks just making their way between deep sections... it's just an amazing experience. The night clubs of Key West are even more dangerous, especially during Fantasy Fest which, as most great festivals like Burning Man, start off great but eventually turn into a watered down and debauched version of what was initially intended. On the way down there make sure you stop at either Sugarloaf Key or Bahia Honda Key which is where the endangered Key Deer mostly reside... it is seriously worth it to see (and feed and touch) full grown deer no bigger than a golden retriever. The Sugarloaf Key area is also a great place to explore because of the Bat Tower and the nearby SaddleBunch Keys is a great place to explore on foot (or kayak) to see real wildlife. Stay away from the typical touristy places where cruise-ship sheep go and you'll have a unique experience that doesn't involve the worst of consumerist and brain-dead humanity.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
maybe catch US 1 for an hour here and there, but not all the way.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
I agree with the intent of staying off the interstate and not wanting to ride with big rigs and tour buses

but after living in florida with a MC for two years i can testify: All the roads in Florida are painfully straight and painfully flat.

The highest elevation in south Florida is 30 feet above sea level, on the bridge over the inter-coastal waterway.

For most of its length in FL, US 1 is a residential street.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Of course you'll want to avoid the high traffic areas and follow RT27 through the Everglades (or RT29 in the west) and then take RT997 to Key Largo... avoid Miami unless you're a glutton for punishment. But then who cares about the FL mainland anyway? It's not like there are awesome windy roads or mountain scenery. Just get to The Keys ASAP.;) Once you hit Key Largo there's no alternative down to Key West than along RT1 unless you chose either kayak or a boat.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I agree with the intent of staying off the interstate and not wanting to ride with big rigs and tour buses

but after living in florida with a MC for two years i can testify: All the roads in Florida are painfully straight and painfully flat.

The highest elevation in south Florida is 30 feet above sea level, on the bridge over the inter-coastal waterway.

For most of its length in FL, US 1 is a residential street.
You need to come ride with us sometime.. LOL There are some beautiful and curvy roads here. BTW you did not think of the Sunshine Scareway in St. Pete. It is way higher than 30 feet :)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
the better motorcycle roads are from central to the west side of fla, the east side is boring and flat, i did that trip from ct back in 70s, on the way back we crossed over on alligator ally and road up the west side it was so long ago i can't remember where in fla we crossed back over to ride up the east coast home, but i do remember the west side was a way better ride, saw a lot of horses and farms on the way back

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
the better motorcycle roads are from central to the west side of fla, the east side is boring and flat, i did that trip from ct back in 70s, on the way back we crossed over on alligator ally and road up the west side it was so long ago i can't remember where in fla we crossed back over to ride up the east coast home, but i do remember the west side was a way better ride, saw a lot of horses and farms on the way back
go from 4:58 to aound 9 something. That is right outside of Crystal River. That is just one of the nice roads we went on there. I THINK there are a couple more in that video, but I wanted to get video of our larger group so there is a lot of 4 lane driving too.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
NGN, I was clicking through the video

at 11:30 where the tree line and the road converge at infinity, thats what I remember most of florida being like. :)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
go from 4:58 to aound 9 something. That is right outside of Crystal River. That is just one of the nice roads we went on there. I THINK there are a couple more in that video, but I wanted to get video of our larger group so there is a lot of 4 lane driving too.
Clicky
brings back memories of that 70s ride i think we crossed back over on on 10 and went back and forth between 301 and 95. we road suicide strip rt 58 in virginia then onto the bay bridge tunnel and up the coast home to ct the whole trip down and back 10 days and less than 500 bucks, one bridge i always hated and still do is the delaware memorial i don't know why, i just do

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
NGN, I was clicking through the video

at 11:30 where the tree line and the road converge at infinity, thats what I remember most of florida being like. :)
Well yea an ugly 4 lane highway. You have to admit you were surprised at the other roads on there.. lol Hell I did not know that really curvy road was there.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@brittct when are you planning on riding through here? I know you said this summer, I meant do you have more of a solid date?
Maybe July 7-15, figured July because it looked like that was lowest annual rainfall compared to June and August.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Asheboro,+NC/Key+West,+FL/@30.0549244,-85.4857558,6z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m18!4m17!1m5!1m1!1s0x88535c6c3d4e2349:0x5057352bd6290399!2m2!1d-79.8136446!2d35.7079146!1m5!1m1!1s0x88d1b134ad952377:0x3fcee92f77463b5e!2m2!1d-81.7799871!2d24.5550593!2m3!1b1!2b1!3b1!3e0

Here is the link to the route I think would be best. US route 301 all the way down until highway 27 then highway 1. Figured we would take 2 days to get the Homestead. Then the third day Homestead to key west. Three-four days to mess around key west then back to NC taking 2-3 days to get back.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea no where near Tallahassee, but looks like a good route. I think there is some construction on 121.
Maybe that will be done by the time we get down there! Do you think July would be the optimal time to go??

1 - 20 of 25 Posts