Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a knock-off of the HD King Tour Pack on Amazon, and this is how I mounted it.

Started with this luggage rack that I've been using for the last year or so. I never used the backrest (threw it away long ago), but the luggage rack has been handy.

That rack is strong, but I didn't feel it was long enough to properly support a tour pack. So I picked up a 12 x 12 sheet of 12 gauge steel.

Bent up flanges on each side

Did a little welding

Some paint to match

And mounted it up

I didn't want the King style of backrest, which has armrests on each side. I got the seller to credit me the cost of that backrest (they had supply issues anyway), and I went with the backrest which is intended for the Chopped style tour pack. I think the lid is the same for the King, Chopped, and even the Razor size tour packs, and the backrests bolt to the lid. Turns out it fits perfectly and the hole locations were already scribed into the molded lid, just had to drill them out.

I don't have a use for a backrest, but I think it kinda completes the look.

A bit less than $300 invested.

·
Premium Member
2006 Yamaha 650 V Star Classic Cruiser.
151 Posts
Wow
Nice job
I like the looks of that. Matches the bike well
I picked up a knock-off of the HD King Tour Pack on Amazon, and this is how I mounted it.

Started with this luggage rack that I've been using for the last year or so. I never used the backrest (threw it away long ago), but the luggage rack has been handy.

That rack is strong, but I didn't feel it was long enough to properly support a tour pack. So I picked up a 12 x 12 sheet of 12 gauge steel.

Bent up flanges on each side

Did a little welding

Some paint to match

And mounted it up

I didn't want the King style of backrest, which has armrests on each side. I got the seller to credit me the cost of that backrest (they had supply issues anyway), and I went with the backrest which is intended for the Chopped style tour pack. I think the lid is the same for the King, Chopped, and even the Razor size tour packs, and the backrests bolt to the lid. Turns out it fits perfectly and the hole locations were already scribed into the molded lid, just had to drill them out.

I don't have a use for a backrest, but I think it kinda completes the look.

A bit less than $300 invested.
Great job. It matches the motorcycle in every way and provides a lot of usable luggage space.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My wife does not like to ride with me. I told her the backrest was just in case a coed was stranded out on the highway, so I could be helpful. She just laughed and slapped me, which was a very confusing mixed message.

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra (totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 (current)
14,146 Posts
Looks good. The smaller backrest is just the right size. Bet you wife wasn't confused on what the message was. ;)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Would you mind posting the link to the Amazon page that you found? I've just begun to look at these.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
She just laughed and slapped me, which was a very confusing mixed message.
Pretty sure the laugh was meant as a distraction. The slap was for sure a warning shot. Especially if followed up by "the look". If that is the case tread lightly my friend..Back in the day a former co worker had a similar experience where a comment made in gest cost him his marriage... He was a field rep like me and we from time to time he had to have a passenger ride along...our boss..Well one day she noticed some things were moved about in the front seat of his truck and he just spouted off that he picked up a hitchhiker one day and that the day ended gloriously...but he also had stopped to use a pay phone that was heavily scented in perfume...It transferred to him...she picked up the scent on him and it was all over...it took him a long time to get over that. I suspect he had been poking the bear previously and that was the final straw but it was indeed alarming! BTW the tour pack looks nice!

• Wow
Reactions: bpounds

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would you mind posting the link to the Amazon page that you found? I've just begun to look at these.
Sure I can.

This is the listing I bought, but I don't recommend that seller. They have changed their listing since I bought, and I think they are being deceptive. If you read the one and only review, they pulled the exact same story on me about the backrest being backordered, even quoted the same number of days. And the date that guy posted his review is almost to the day as when I was buying. The product is made by TCT-MT, and you will find a bunch of sellers with the same thing - pick one of those other guys. Anyway, here is the listing I bought: Amazon.com: King Tour Pack Pak Trunk Backrest & Top Luggage Rack Fit for Harley 2014-2021 Touring Road King FLHR Street Electra Glide Ultra-Classic FLHTCU FLHTK FLTRX FLTRXS FLTRU FL : Automotive

As I mentioned, I took the credit for no backrest, and bought a different model. Here is the listing for that: Amazon.com: TCT-MT Chopped Tour Pack Backrest Pad Fit For Harley Road King Electra Street Glide 2014-2022 FLHR FLHTCU FLHTK FLHXS FLTRU 2019 2018 2017 Black : Automotive

Just be careful when you choose a listing for the tour pack. If you don't want to add speakers, make sure you confirm that the pack is not already cut-out for those. Same with the rear tail lights.

I might add the tail lights later. If I do I can easily cut the holes myself.

I don't have an HD version to compare, and I'm sure it would be heavier, but I am quite happy with how sturdy this shell feels.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts