Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 V Star 950 with 9000 miles. Last year it developed an intermediate knocking sound that was rpm related. Gradually got louder and more frequent. Was not an engine problem. Took it to the dealer. They were baffled and called Yamaha for guidance. Yahama instructed them to pull the front pulley, clean the spline on output shaft and reassemble everything according to specs. Solved my problem. That was 9 months ago. Noise has returned.

I want it fixed permanently. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Oldvol,

I haven't had any strange noise on my 2010 yet at 23k miles. Knock on wood.

Guessing that you probably meant "intermittant noise". Did the noise come and go at certain speeds or colder weather or any predictable thing or was it just random?

Trying to figure what it was that fixed it if they just cleaned it up and screwed it all back together as you mentioned since you didn't mention any new parts or anything was loose.

First, I guess, are you are sure the noise you hear now is the same noise they fixed before?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Always occurs during hot weather. It is first noticeable at slow speeds coming to a stop. Over time it becomes more frequent and louder.

I determined the location by coasting down a hill with the engine off. Noise is located directly below the seat. No movement (rpms) no noise.

The noise I hear now is exactly the same as the 1st time.

The repair makes no sense unless the retaining nut is working loose which allows the pulley to bump against something. Just guessing. Looking for other explanations.

·
Registered
488 Posts
The repair makes no sense unless the retaining nut is working loose which allows the pulley to bump against something. Just guessing. Looking for other explanations.
Sorry, I got nothin'. There just isn't much there. I keep thinking it must be something else except that the noise went away after they cleaned it up!

Hopefully the forum's brain trust will come through for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts