Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well I posted about this install recently and wanted to give you guys the scoop on this item.

Even though the finished product looks great and functions
as it should here's what we found during installation.

Some additional parts are included and not used on the vstar 650.

The rubber boot that attaches to the intake mounting bracket
was drilled in reverse of what it should have been. New holes had to be marked and cut out. for proper alignment.

The instructions were way far off on the hardware supplied and how many spacers are used and where. Very confusing.

If everything would have been correct the install would have taken no more than 1 hour to complete.
ours took over 2 hours due to the issues listed. and having to dbl check our work.
And the bike now requires it to be rejetted due to increased air flow.
(which we new would be the case)
just an FYI for those looking to buy this kit. :smile:

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Ok, Got an up date for all you members following along.

So this morning I loaded the carbs with the 122.5 jets that came in the Hyper charger kit.
Pilots remain stock w/ 3.5 TO on the PMS screws.

Testing showed the bike ran much better and only a slight sputter up high in the rpm range.
We were pretty sure this was due to the fully opened butterfly on WOT.
So, As a test we tied the butterfly partially open (1/2" from fully closed) and disabled the vacuum supply.
2nd test showed a much smoother and sputter free engine all the way to above 6500 rpm.
Liking this setup I made a stop for the butterfly that allows for fully closed at idle and 1/3 open at full throttle.

Seems to be the hot ticket on our setup. Bike runs better and sounds better.

I could maybe go up another size or 2 higher on the main. But I did not have any bigger jets on hand other than the 122.5.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
On most Hyperchargers, the rod connecting the butterflies is threaded for adjusting the throw range of the butterflies. You might be able to keep it hooked up with a shorter throw.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trust me when I say we tried all of that. The way it is made on the inside of the vacuum pot
They run the threaded rod into the diaphram and then into a round aluminum end piece.
It's locktited on. And no flats to get a wrench or anything on it to turn it.
We gave up after fiddling for more than 2 hours on it.

Right now it is hooked up with a 1/3 throw.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts