Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone recognize this hypercharger?
I go ti t without an air filter and wish to buy one, but cannot find the exact model.
The source of the hypercharger said that it is either a 7029 or 9423, but for all I know (looking into the Kuryakin website and other sites) it is neither...

I assume that every hypercharger has a different filter, right or is it a universal filter??

Thanks in advance.

Itamar

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Not knowing what year and model of Yamaha we are talking about hampers things. As far 1100 air box mods above they talk about Carbs only. I would think that the new air mods for fuel injected bikes would have some improvements and other options compared to a carb bikes. I am leaning more for the Cobra Powerflow Intake for mine. The Hyperchargers seem to be a little more involved.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK...
Thanks for the input.
I need to take a step back and ask a basic question since I am not that savvy with hyperchargers.
Does the hypercharger have some air filtration device within it?

I mean, my bike was in the repair shop for some middle drive problem and the hypercharger came in, so I dropped it off for them to install and then they call me telling me it looks good, but there is no air filter...

Assuming that an air filter is required and understanding the hypercharger I got is not new and I won't find it on the Kuryakyn site, can anyone help identify the model?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Can you provide more info? Any other markings? Year and Model of Bike????

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The bike is a 99 XVS1100 and the hypercharger was taken off a 2003 XVS1100.

If indeed the hypercharger is a Kuryakyn 9423 (as the seller reaffirmed a few minutes ago. Heck, the guy went to the shop on Memorial day for me... I am impressed), it should fit anyXVS1100 from 98 to 2008. So the bike model is not critical.
I am just looking at 9423s and at what I got and appearance can deceive, but they look different...

Again, I am quite a layman on air intake systems, but I know that the original air cleaner should be replaced by some other filter and my mechanic says there is no filter in it...
So I am trying to find the right air filter and just find it here or overseas (Kuryakyn do not have any official importer into Israel, so I have no one to bug over the phone, so you guys are the ones to bear me just a bit longer) and ship it here ASAP...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys,
You helped a lot!

Yes, I guess the 9423 underwent some changes in its appearance over the years.
Now I will just have to wait till on-line support at Kuryakyn OR at K&N comes back to make sure I order EXACTLY what i need.

Oh well... I am sure it would be worth it eventually...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks. I checked and my intuition was correct.
The stock air filter is very different and cannot fit into the hypercharger...

The mix-up I think you encountered is because the 8513 allegedly fits the V-Star, but it doesn't fit the bike but the hypercharger that, in turn, fits the bike...
And yes, I will call K&N's Israeli agent and see if he has it in stock and if not, lucky me my cellular plan includes free calls to the US.. :)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
the K&N stock replacement filter for a vstar 650 YA-6958 has a cover on one side, the replacement filter for the standard charger 8513 is open on both sides and the pro series charger uses a 9493, it doesn't matter what motorcycle the charger is bolted to those filters fit those models of chargers. i'm pretty sure kuryakyn only makes two hyper chargers they use different mounting hardware for each bike but the actual charger body never changes except for maybe the color or emblems

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just ordered the 8513.
It will take a couple of weeks to get here.
In the meantime, my mechanic will find something to fit in the meantime so I can clear the list in his shop...
Thank you all.
I know that I should take the bike with the ferry to Athens Greece, ride all the way through Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, the Ukraine, Russia, Alaska, Canada and then come thank each and everyone in person... :)
Well, sort of...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts