Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to lay my sled down two weeks ago.. I was the 3 rd vehicle in a turning lane, I had just changed lanes into that lane when the 1st vehicle slammed on the brakes to make a right before the main intersection, so the small SUV in front of me slammed on her brakes and my choices we're go thru the back window head first or lay him down and hope for the best. This is what I over heard from the lady in the second vehicle, all I know is I had no options, to the left a car and to the right the curb. I locked up the brakes and started sliding, my bike uprighted itself and launched me off of it. I was thrown a few feet and slid a little on my ass. I have a fractured left wrist in 2 places, fractured left elbow, fractured right big toe, bruised right lung and bruised left ribs. I am thankful I am alive, I am glad I decided to wear my full face helmet and boots that day! The boots saved my toe, but are destroyed.

Bike Damage $6600: All Damage is on the right side of bike: Dent in Gas Tank, Saddle Bag Buckles ripped off, Front fender and fender protection bar, Floor board.

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
Sorry to hear some thing happened to my uncle a few months ago as well. They totaled his bike and with accessory coverage got way more than what it was worth.

However I am trying to see how its 6600 worth of damage from your pics it appears to be a new or fix your tank problem, a new paint job on the front fended maybe replace the fender guard thats what for sure kept it from getting trashed and some pipes, and a new light on that side possibly a new mount, I can't see much more than that.

But hope you get better soon.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sorry to hear that.I no your in a lot of pain,but your a live to talk a bout it. An thats what counts.
I agree. Bikes can be replaced, people can't.
Heal quickly.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Don't you wish you had purchased a bike with ABS, so the wheels would not have locked up and tossed you?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I used to have a Suzuki S40. I loaded it onto a trailer, and about two miles from home a tie-down strap broke. The bike fell over, and its tank hit an eyebolt on the trailer. There were also a few very small scratches. The estimate from Star City Powersports in Lincoln, NE, was over $1800. I recalled that I had full insurance coverage, and called my agent. Their claims adjuster totalled the bike. Since I had kept it stock and maintained it well, they paid me more than NADA retail, because it was in "better than average" condition. For information, the tank on an S40 is over $600. It is unclear whether that includes the little chrome decorations. Also for information, the shop rate at Star City is $62 per HALF hour.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Damn, that sux dude!! I'm glad you escaped with only minor injuries! Yer sled can be fixed and hopefully it won't cost the entire $6600. I have been on two wheels for about 35yrs and have been very fortunate to have never gone down(knock wood!) You will heal and be on the road again soon. Take care

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update on My Bike

Talked to the shop repairing my bike, I should have it back in about 2 weeks. I may not be able to ride it because of my wrist when I get it back but I don't care..........I JUST WANT MY ROADDOG BACK!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Sorry to hear of your misfortune, glad you are ok:D
A hard learning experience for sure.

A titbit just from me here for all new and younger riders: NEVER put yourself in the position to have to lay your bike down! That is a voluntary wreck:eek: It does not have to happen, BE AWARE , give yourself plenty of room + ALWAYS have an "out" no matter where or when:cool: I want to see the younger riders become older riders:cool:

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have long believed that the phrase "I had to lay it down" really should be "I made a mistake. I over-applied the brakes, locked the wheel(s), and lost control. The bike slid out from under me, and I went down."

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have long believed that the phrase "I had to lay it down" really should be "I made a mistake. I over-applied the brakes, locked the wheel(s), and lost control. The bike slid out from under me, and I went down."
In my case it was a decision, I purposely locked the brakes to avoid going head first in the back of a vehicle.

·
Registered
421 Posts
In my case it was a decision, I purposely locked the brakes to avoid going head first in the back of a vehicle.
Even though you know that braking is more effective when the wheel is rolling, and becomes almost ineffective when the wheel is locked? And even though you know that the coefficient of friction of rubber on pavement is a lot higher than that of metal on pavement? And even though you know that locked wheels have absolutely no steering control - let alone there being no control when the machine is down? Quite a decision.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Yes indeed, seems no one give a rat's ass bout the post of Sugar Bear,(never a NEED to lay down) seems sometimes pride and ego stand in the way of reality:rolleyes: You are very correct!

I only want for the more or less rookies and newer folks to THINK and be safe, the older folks already know that or they would not be older riders, huh?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
960 Posts
You guys are implying 100% of all motorcycle accidents are avoidable. This is only true if you dont ride a motorcycle. Yes, we have to be very defensive, YES we have to check our ego's when riding. Bus SOME accidents are simply unavoidable.

The one time I went down on the road, it was diesel fuel spilled in the corner earlier that day. Cant see it.. Dont know its there til you are drifting. I have years of experience on the dirt (invaluable for street riding!!) and there was simply nothing I could do but hope another car wasnt following me too close which I normally dont allow anyways.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
While I understand the points you're making Bear and Charon, might not there be a situation where impact is a definite and no action will prevent that impact. .... And the point and manner of impact while remaining on the bike would be worse than the point and manner of impact if the rider chose to lay down the bike and slide (say under the stopped vehicle)?

Might it not also be possible that laying down the bike and sliding would be preferable to making upright impact and going over the bike and being thrown a distance and height that would result in greater injury?

To be clear, I'm not arguing this is correct, just thinking out loud and proposing the possibility for discussion.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
421 Posts
While I understand the points you're making Bear and Charon, might not there be a situation where impact is a definite and no action will prevent that impact. .... And the point and manner of impact while remaining on the bike would be worse than the point and manner of impact if the rider chose to lay down the bike and slide (say under the stopped vehicle)?

Might it not also be possible that laying down the bike and sliding would be preferable to making upright impact and going over the bike and being thrown a distance and height that would result in greater injury?

To be clear, I'm not arguing this is correct, just thinking out loud and proposing the possibility for discussion.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I concede the possibility of an "inevitable" impact. My point is that maximum braking, with the wheels still rolling, scrubs off speed more effectively than either sliding wheels or a sliding motorcycle. The reduction in speed reduces the severity of the impact and helps reduce the severity of injury. Too, with the wheels rolling there is at least a chance of steering out of the crash or at least aiming for a softer spot. If the rear wheel locks steering ability is severely reduced. If the front wheel locks steering ability is gone and the bike drops very shortly thereafter. In either case, speed reduction is lessened and impact will be more severe.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Folks, Sugar Bear had no intent of pissin anyone off or makin any grief, the only thing he was tryin to do was make folks think a bit:)

He quit countin ridin time after 50 years, anything over that looks like he is an old fart:eek:
He has not wrecked in all ridin time, 1000's upon 1000's of miles, wonder why:rolleyes: He is not an anomaly, I do not believe.

Think this point: If you are IN CONTROL of your bike, you will not wreck.:D:cool:
Have fun, folks.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got my Road Dog back on Saturday and rode for a little bit on Sunday, then rode him to work today. Damn it feels good to ride again!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts