Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
13,675 Posts
my biggest fear in riding is loose debris on the road. i laid down my bike turning into a parking lot for a wedding because there was a bunch of wet leaves i was turning on. entire wedding party witnessed it. it doesn't make you a bad rider and it's better that it happened while you were going slow so it hopefully will instill in you a healthy respect for road traction for the rest of your days.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
There are a few other things to watch out for. Lettering on roads that indicate Stop, School, Cross Walk etc that are not painted on but laid down...Those things are slick when it is wet. Same with asphalt crack filler...Keep riding...Keep practicing...Stay alert.. Take a safety course! They really help with understanding and recognizing danger spots. It is money well spent and will most likely get you a discount on your insurance. Also do not underestimate having good safety gear on. Helmet, Jacket, Boots and Gloves all play a critical role in helping keep you safe.

·
Registered
917 Posts
They changed the striping down here , it used to be a reflective paint , which wasn't that bad. The new stuff they are using is some kind of a polymer that they put down with a torch, that stuff is so slick and any kind of wet ( even dew) and it feels like they greased the road.

·
Registered
26 Posts
never an issue of if.
always when
everyone will lay it down eventually
no one was hurt
lesson learned.
had a neighbour do the exact same thing as you, daughter scraped her knee.
wife 86'd all riding at that point and he had to sell his bike
shame:(

/during my BMW GS off road course i hit a small patch of grass during hill climb exercise and went ass over tea kettle 50 metres down the hill.
i remember seeing my arm flash in front of my hemet, then my leg, then my arm again and so on.
was 52 a the time.
will never ever stop preaching why safety gear is sooooo important.

·
Registered
2010 Vstar 950. Candy Red.
945 Posts
for some reason I thought I had already pushed the kick stand down. I started leaning the bike to my left, this is if you're sitting on the bike, when I looked down I noticed the kick stand was NOT down.
I've done that. Totally embarrassing.

Something similar last summer: parking lot, maneuvering into a parking space in a really busy parking lot, wheel turned sharply, coming to a stop, watching traffic and not really noticing a big lump in the pavement and suddenly my foot was 3 or 4 inches farther from the ground than it should be. Just barely kept the bike from laying down. People watched me struggle to keep it off the ground. Embarrassing. Shocked I didn't pull something while holding it up.

Lettering on roads that indicate Stop, School, Cross Walk etc that are not painted on but laid down...Those things are slick when it is wet.
Another thing is the occasional patch of some fluid or other that's leaked out of somebody's car at a stop light. Just when you're coming to a stop, you put your foot down and it slides.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
One time i was in my jeep when i was young went around a corner and a car puked a radiator. I let out the clutch and started to spin out. On the way home i saw a motorcycle turn on his blinker and thought this is not going to be good. He hit the antifreeze and down he went. Good thing he was going slow not like the speeders now a days.

·
Premium Member
2018 SVTC
2,566 Posts
never an issue of if.
always when
no one was hurt
lesson learned.

/during my BMW GS off road course i hit a small patch of grass during hill climb exercise and went ass over tea kettle 50 metres down the hill.
i remember seeing my arm flash in front of my hemet, then my leg, then my arm again and so on.
was 52 a the time.
If the wife “86’d his riding”, maybe he should’ve not had a bike and just settled for a nice new SKIRT since he doesn’t wear the PANTS.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Okay, to start with, both me and the daughter are ok. She didn't even get a single scratch and I banged up my knee but whatever...We're perfectly fine.

I've owned a bike for about a month or so. I have a steep driveway and I usually just ride it down the hill and go on about my business. Yesterday, something else happened. We had the yard guy here and there was a lot of grass clippings in the drive way. Apparently, I might as well have driven on ice. Back end started to come out, tried to do something about it and decided that since my daughter was on the back, I wasn't going to fight it. I got us into some soft grass and laid it down. We're good and bike is good. We both got back up and decided we needed to complete our task of my daughter's first motorcycle ride and we did.

Here are the questions...
1. Is this a sign that I suck and that motorcycles aren't for me? I mean, one month in, driving to work and stuff multiple days a week and this happens? In my stupid driveway!?
2. Where was the mistake I made?
3. I don't know what's normal for people having accidents like this, dropping a bike, etc. so it right now feels like I need to take this as a sign but, some part of me says this is normal too.

Anyway, thoughts?
Im also a novice and have always been earned to steer clear of grass clippings. However, I watch many videos on, Youtube made by, Ride Like A Pro, then go out and practice what I learned. Also recommend taking a riding course that teaches all this. Taking evasive action on a bike is far from the same as a car. Turning, Braking, Cornering, Friction Zone, Counter Steering, and so much more to learn to be a safer rider.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Glad to hear everyone is ok, don't feel bad it happens.
I have been riding for 36 years and have my misadventures. I laid down a bike I was sitting on, stopped, at a intersection on a newly covered gravel road when I went to put my left foot down. The road was so soft that my foot twisted and just fell over on my left side. No damage but it is one of those things you learn to avoid.
Here in Canada we have graduated licenses and with that you can't take a passenger until you graduate to your full license. Plus I am not a fan of passengers unless its really necessary. Only one of my girlfriends didn't have her own bike and was a pia about everything when riding.

The best thing beyond the course is always get in your practice. And sometimes try to do something that makes you a little nervous.

My youngest brother started riding about 5 years ago and was very timid about large highways. I took him out on Sunday mornings when there was little traffic to get him used to it. Now he commutes up and down a 8 lane every day with no problems.

As far as courses go at our local colleges they offfer a selection basic and advanced courses and some will actually take you out individualy on public roads to work on your weak points.

Keep trying!

·
Administrator
13,675 Posts
Im also a novice and have always been earned to steer clear of grass clippings. However, I watch many videos on, Youtube made by, Ride Like A Pro, then go out and practice what I learned. Also recommend taking a riding course that teaches all this. Taking evasive action on a bike is far from the same as a car. Turning, Braking, Cornering, Friction Zone, Counter Steering, and so much more to learn to be a safer rider.
people have been touting his instructional videos on here for years. he puts a lot of clips of his classes and short instructionals on youtube. wonder if he gets his students' permissions because sometimes they get blasted by his comments. i've been riding for a while but just recently started paying more attention to how i'm leaning and shifting my weight in turns in slow speed and from being stopped based on his videos. i never remembered or even knew at what speed you are supposed to lean with the bike versus sit up straight or counter balance your weight to the opposite side of the bike that is leaning until i saw some of his clips. 20mph. over 20mph you can lean with the bike. under 20mph you should lean the bike into the turn while counter-balancing your weight towards the outside.

·
Premium Member
2018 SVTC
2,566 Posts
Okay, to start with, both me and the daughter are ok. She didn't even get a single scratch and I banged up my knee but whatever...We're perfectly fine.

I've owned a bike for about a month or so. I have a steep driveway and I usually just ride it down the hill and go on about my business. Yesterday, something else happened. We had the yard guy here and there was a lot of grass clippings in the drive way. Apparently, I might as well have driven on ice. Back end started to come out, tried to do something about it and decided that since my daughter was on the back, I wasn't going to fight it. I got us into some soft grass and laid it down. We're good and bike is good. We both got back up and decided we needed to complete our task of my daughter's first motorcycle ride and we did.

1. Is this a sign that I suck and that motorcycles aren't for me? I mean, one month in, driving to work and stuff multiple days a week and this happens? In my stupid driveway!?
3. I don't know what's normal for people having accidents like this, dropping a bike, etc. so it right now feels like I need to take this as a sign but, some part of me says this is normal too.

Anyway, thoughts?
1. I think one of the other mistakes you made was having a passenger so soon. I rode for many years but had a break in between getting my new bike. I still did not add even my wife to the back for 6 months until I got better aquatinted with the bike.
2. Grass clippings are a problem for ANY rider, so you’re not “exclusive” on this one.
3. Regarding “dropping” your bike.. ask @lesblank . He wasn’t even on an incline OR grass. The fact is, it happens! Being a New rider just accept the fact it’s going to probably happen some more than you’d like.
The one good thing you did was to opt for a soft landing area.

·
Registered
232 Posts

Anyway, thoughts?
It's only a sign that you are inexperienced. The upside is you can learn from this and it is great to see you asking questions after this mishap.
No real mistake other than your inexperience. Work on your situational awareness. Hill + cut grass = slippery. An experienced rider would have seen that, but now you know.
It is not normal to have accidents and don't fall into the "Oh well, accidents happen" trap. I cannot stress enough how developing your situational awareness will greatly decrease your risk.

One thing you may want to seriously consider is putting some miles and time in the saddle alone, long before taking on a passenger. Practice emergency stopping, develop your situational awareness, learn to really handle the bike before bringing someone along. For me, that was about 15,000 miles. Your mileage may differ, but spend time alone first.

Situational awareness, emergency braking.....practice.

·
Registered
232 Posts
never an issue of if.
always when
no one was hurt
lesson learned.

was 52 a the time.
Why do some folks insist on perpetuating this myth? Not everyone on two wheels will crash / lay it down.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
laying down your motorcycle is the equivalent of flipping your vette...

·
Registered
232 Posts
over a long enough period of time, anything that can happen will happen
Anything that can happen, will happen - YES. But not to everyone. Not everyone gets hit by lightning, wins the lottery, gets murdered, lays their bike down......

21 - 40 of 40 Posts